• I like pie

Votes: 13 15.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody ever regret getting a Yanmar diesel and which they had gotten a gasser?

Not a discussion regarding the economics, just what do you like better. I've put over 32 hours on the X758 since June and the torque and ability to navigate steep hills is hands down superior. Fuel consumption is running .7 gallon /hour. I have a Simplicity Conquest set up as a bagger right now and ran it this week when the grass got away from me a little bit. Windrowed to the center with the X758 and picked up in a few minutes. After putting a lot of time on the diesel, the power of the gas motor which is rated higher was just sad asi it was bogging under load and it consumes 1.5 gallon/hour. (Note the grass is mowed at 3.5" and the Simplicity deck was in the transport position but is still cutting much closer, probably 2.75"

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I don’t think you’ll find many people regret having a diesel powered machine except maybe a few that opted for a diesel UTV over a gas one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True but Pie is very tempting...

All my machines are gas and one benefit is that it is easier to deal with fuel. I buy one kind for everything. The most recent purchase was the Z950R while there was a diesel option it was a lot more money. Next tractor will be diesel though. Then I get to deal with the fuel.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I really like diesels, started when I got my 02 TDI Jetta (used) back in 2004. I would have bought another diesel car but that's when dieselgate hit VW. Now I like electric cars, and if they ever came out with a "good" electric SCUT tractor, I would consider it, but it would have to have the "range/hour" capacity similar to Tesla cars vs the others. And then some kind of "fast charge" ability I can have at home (or farm).

But then I'd have to trade in my 1026R, and I like my tractor too much.

For me, electric to replace dino power is the future, we just haven't gotten the technology down yet. I just hope developments will be like the progress we made with PC's, calculators and other electronic devices over the recent past.

Diesel is great, just wish it didn't come at a premium price.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you please specify what type of pie?

Pretty good question. I am very partial to cream pies, banana, chocolate coconut cream. In Wisconsin we have this insidious place called the "Norske Nook". They specialize in pies. FWIW, my wife has a cook book from this place and is an excellent baker.

Apple is pretty darn good too, Zestar's will be coming in around 8/15, Linda Macs are probably 2nd for pie after Zestar. I have quite a few apple trees.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Apple and lemon merangue

Sent from my phone that’s smarter than me

·
Premium Member
7,912 Posts
I had to go with pie.

Gas vs. Diesel - I prefer diesel, especially in a tractor.

If I am going to use it for anything besides basic lawn & garden stuff, for example a FEL or PTO driven implements - diesel

For just mowing, it would really depend on the size of the yard and the amount of time spent mowing. If it was big enough, say a couple acres +, I would go diesel if it was a tractor.

For my ZTR, I went gas. I don't mow enough with the Z to justify the cost of the diesel. I would have liked a diesel Z, but the Z915E does a pretty darn good job on the 3 - 4 acres I mow with it and what I paid for it.

In a truck, if I was going to tow a big trailer or camper or tow with any frequency, yep, diesel. For a daily driver and occasional tower, gas.

I love the smell of fresh baked apple pie. :yahoo:

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Only getting limited seat time and having cold winters I’d probably go with gas. I do like diesels but....

No gelling, no extra fuel cans, no stinking fuel that sticks to you. Lower cost air filters and less oil to change.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
after dealing with 4 chainsaws ,2 leaf blowers ,a weed eater and 5 or 6 generators ,2 water pumps a sawmill and a hydraulic pump...I know theres more

Diesel is the big winner...worst I have to do is charge a battery.

I'm weeding out the gas fleet short of a couple saws and a pair of generators and the sawmill...I'll replace whats needed with cordless/battery powered...already have the chainsaw & blower.

This new gas is a pita & the good stuff is 5 bux a gallon up here.

I have 4 diesel powered toyz.....Not 1 has ever not started. ( had to jump the tractor a couple times) too cheap to buy a battery.

Tractor I've had since 97ish...JD 955 ,Yanmar engine....tons of hours ..HR meter broke since 1040 when I bought it used from a rental outfit in 97.
It has to have 3000 minimum judging from the useage of the other 2 below.

Mini ex and RTV have to be 10 years old or more..lost track.about 6-700 hours on each..3 cyl. "K"

07 Dodge...235,000

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
I have a couple diesel toys and gas for the others.. I really have no preference, but no question, diesel makes more horsepower for sure.
Seeing how this thread has gone a couple different directions I must interject; I read an add once for a diesel fitter and thought about applying until I found out it was a job in an italian pants factory... Ok I'm done.:hide:

·
Registered
21,467 Posts
I’ve been a diesel fanatic most of my life. The only gas engine I own is my pickup - just don’t need a 3/4 ton truck to get a diesel.

For fuel diesel is much easier as I have a 150 gallon bulk tank. Add to that my 1000 of diesel in my underground tank and I will never run out. I refuse to haul gas jugs ever again.

I guess it’s the torque of the Diesel engine along with the simplicity of operation that I like. I have never had any luck with carburetors and gas engines in general except for in my pickup. But that goes to the Ford garage if there ever is an issue.

33DA5AB8-4288-496D-B3A0-6098D9D3AC6F.jpeg

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I don’t think you’ll find many people regret having a diesel powered machine except maybe a few that opted for a diesel UTV over a gas one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't even regret my diesel gator. I would have a diesel chainsaw if I could lift it:lolol:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I do like pie but for my tractor, I like diesel. Where diesel really shines is in a high load application. For example, a tractor just moving around easy using a end loader, gas and diesel don't make as much difference, but high load, like mowing, the diesel wins out. The truth is in the tractor world, there isn't a lot of choice for gas anymore.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How is this for putting load on the Yanmar?

RPM generally drops less than 100 RPM with this kind of snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
In a lawn and garden tractor? I don’t know that diesel is necessary. I guess it depends how much you plan on mowing. As for bigger stuff, diesel makes sense, but then there’s tier 4... my truck is gas, and I plan to get a new ford 7.3 gas when it comes out.

I like pie. This time of year it’s strawberry rhubarb.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
The only diesel I've ever owned is my 2520!:good2:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts