Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the market for a CTL with a forestry head on it. I have been looking at the Kubota SVL90-2, the Cat 299D XHP and the JD 329E or 333E.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these and specifically the JD models? Both Cat and JD think very highly of their CTL's and the price reflects that. It is about 40% more than the Kubota SVL price that I have been quoted. I am looking at both the horizontal rotor type (Fecon/FAE style) and the vertical shaft style like the Bradco Extreme ground shark and the AFE ECO style mulcher.

I know neither the Cat nor the Kubota are green and even the JD CTL is not green so don't kick me off the site.:laugh:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump to see if anyone might see it that has an input

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just make sure the E series deere is caught up on all the pips and mods from the factory!! The E's with the yanmar's are nice units.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I know the e's have all the emission garbage but if you don't mind used I have seen a few low hour d series for sale out there. In my opinion when I was doing heavy research for ctl's these three manufactures and the takeuchi where the top dogs. I'm sure either one you buy would be fine but for 40% less I'd get the Kubota. Maybe that price reflects a model without the dpf and such.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it has been a while since I updated this. I ended up getting an ASV/Terex PT-110 Forestry model with a Fecon head. What a chewing machine it is. The CAT299D XHP that I ran for a week could not hold a candle to it and spec wise the Deere was not in the running either. Very pleased with the decision and so far the machine has proven me right.

IMG_4251r.jpg

IMG_4291r.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,621 Posts
I still don't know what "CTL" stands for but a picture is worth a thousand words!

That looks like it could be very handy.

Not much need for a grapple after that thing does its work!

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Nice, very nice

Well it has been a while since I updated this. I ended up getting an ASV/Terex PT-110 Forestry model with a Fecon head. What a chewing machine it is. The CAT299D XHP that I ran for a week could not hold a candle to it and spec wise the Deere was not in the running either. Very pleased with the decision and so far the machine has proven me right.

View attachment 105177

View attachment 105185
It looks like you found a great match. We rented a Bobcat with a similar head for a week. By the end of the week the job was done and we were more than ready to send it back!

I'd like to try that Eco head on a machine sometime. It looks pretty fierce in the videos that are on line.

Glad you found something that works for you.

Treefarmer

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
I was thinking the same thing while looking at the photos. Sure saves a lot of cutting, moving and burning!

·
Administrator
20,301 Posts
I still don't know what "CTL" stands for but a picture is worth a thousand words!

That looks like it could be very handy.

CTL = Compact Tracked Loader :good2:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was thinking the same thing while looking at the photos. Sure saves a lot of cutting, moving and burning!
Yes it does. I had piled up a burn pile 2 years back, before DNR told me I could not burn without a fire wagon on site (a long story) and an expensive permit. I waded/chewed into that pile, roughly 30 x 40 x 8 ft tall and after about 20-30 minutes it was gone. I don't really have the need for the fire wagon for that purpose anymore and the side benefit is less airborne pollutants and more CWD (coarse woody debris) or in my case fine woody debris to rot back into the soil for feeding the next generation of trees. Depending upon whether I leave the front trap door down or up it varies the size of masticated debris. It can go from a fine mulch up to several inches in size. The larger stuff decays slower thus feeding the next generation longer which is the desired goal. Not into the pretty park like look but I can do it.
Of course it would be great with the BoDozer grapple I have as well but it was configured with the JD quick connect. I know Arlen has the skid steer connection on his BoDozer. Now I am looking at if it is worth making an adapter to be able to use it on either the JD 4720 or the PT110. When the justification analysis was done I figured the Fecon head would be on it over 98% of the time so it is probably not worth considering. Grapple work will stay as the bailiwick of the JD4720 .

I need to figure out how to get/make a video and post it for this thing attacking a storm damaged (top broken out) alder with a 8 inch dbh (diameter breast height). You raise the head up to about 10-12 feet cut the stem then lower the head in around 10 seconds to the ground in one smooth move and the bottom 10-12 feet are gone. Simply amazing. Something the Cat 299D XHP I tried took over a minute to do.

Safety tip however as I found out the hard way. Keep your truck well out of the work area. I have a $900 dent that occurred from a piece that was thrown over 200 feet. :oops::cry:
I thought it was far enough away, not so much.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That's a really cool machine. Do you hire out to clear property with it, or is it for maintenance on your own place?
As we were going through the justification process, it was entirely about what it could do for our operation and to put it bluntly what injuries and aches and pains to this old guy's body could be prevented. My wife was very concerned about that aspect and pushed pretty hard, I was the one that had to be convinced. (Kind of backward from the normal dynamic, I know where the guy wants to buy equipment and the gal holds back) I have previously cleared about 15 acres entirely by hand using a Stihl FS450 and FS250 brushcutters as well as a couple of chainsaws for replanting of seedlings.

IMG_0274.JPG

Funny thing was, several government foresters both federal, state and county which I have been working with for years got wind of it and told me that if we got the equipment to let them know. I knew about this problem previously but it has gotten larger as smaller landowners can't get the large companies to do work for them. There is a higher need for the service than there is available resources. There were/are several companies that work large acreage/large contracts but not small ones.

Bottom line they are trying to set me up to supply a service to others/work for others. I look at them at say you do remember I am fully employed and barely have enough time to take care of my own forest issues don't you? My favorite forester looks back and says: "You are going to be forced to retire in the near future due to age and I know you, you will never really retire and you are good at this type of work, you know what you are doing." (Silviculture work that is, nothing else)

So bottom line I retired from my first career, now I am getting close to retiring from my second career and they have me set up for my third.

Golden years, what golden years.:lolol:

I will eventually hire out on a limited basis but right now I am trying to work my own forestry areas with the time I have available. After tree planting season is done in the next couple of months I might consider some small jobs but I still have a lot of my own to do to keep me busy and occupied and "off the streets".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts