Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And if so, I've just gotta ask, are you covered with flying s*it by the time you're done? After spending a ridiculous sum of money on fertilizer last year for renovating a section of pasture and our yard, I realize I HAVE fertilizer! Appropriate for yard use or just pasture? It's fabulous in my veggie and flower beds. Have just never really had the ability to use it for growing good grass.

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
And if so, I've just gotta ask, are you covered with flying s*it by the time you're done? After spending a ridiculous sum of money on fertilizer last year for renovating a section of pasture and our yard, I realize I HAVE fertilizer! Appropriate for yard use or just pasture? It's fabulous in my veggie and flower beds. Have just never really had the ability to use it for growing good grass.
:lol: I'm sure someone on here has one of these little one's, cause no matter what u show on here , someone has had it, or knows of someone. a good place to look is u-tube, that would give u a good action shot of it, and of course see if their covered in horse or cow, or whatever they might be spreadin' around :lolol: and welcome from south western PA.

:wgtt:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not sure what size your referring to, I have an ABI 50 cu.ft. and I almost think it's too small. It takes me a lot of trips to knock down the manure pile, but it gets the job done. They threw in the end gate on mine which is suppose to help keep the manure off you. Every once in awhile you will get a tap on the shoulder, but it's not bad. I will say something I figured out the first time out, plan all your passes INTO the wind :painkiller:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,158 Posts
Spreading is fun, IMO.
Stablenickers, What model are you looking at?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Have you had the soil tested? It may just be a PH issue (usually on the acidic side). A good dose of lime in the Fall will usually take care of it and not extremely expensive.
I sure have. Problem is pasture was almost non-existent when I bought the place. Nothing but some outrageously compacted dirt (no joke it's like concrete) growing patches of weeds and more dirt in between. We have sectioned off a full third of the pasture, killed weeds, killed weeds again, tilled and planted fescue. Now, we're babying it...including fertilizer to give it a really good start before horses can enter that area again come fall. Then pasture rotation is the plan.

Your point is well taken though and a good reminder that I should do another soil test and adjust pH again soon.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
:good2: ok, looks like you are on the right path. Didn't realize the pasture was so hard packed.

A good dose of fertilizer will help out. You can also find someone selling mushroom soil to till in and help speed up the process of rejuvenation.

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Just curious if you've priced out the Frontier spreaders and a ballparks idea of what they get for them?

I've been looking at the Millcreek spreaders because I want something fairly small. Just curious how they compare price-wise.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spreading is fun, IMO.
Stablenickers, What model are you looking at?
Wishing for all the features of the MS12 but size of Ms11g.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:good2: ok, looks like you are on the right path. Didn't realize the pasture was so hard packed.

A good dose of fertilizer will help out. You can also find someone selling mushroom soil to till in and help speed up the process of rejuvenation.
I put mushroom compost in my vegetable garden just didn't cross my mind to till it into the pasture. The poor horses. You should see them hanging heads over the electric line wanting into the reworked area!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Just curious if you've priced out the Frontier spreaders and a ballparks idea of what they get for them?

I've been looking at the Millcreek spreaders because I want something fairly small. Just curious how they compare price-wise.
big no-no. the drive chains fall off almost constantly, and it is a pain in the a$$ to get everything engaged. dont ask how i know...:banghead:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Haven't priced them yet, Jim. But as long as we're getting zero percent x 60 months on the tractor, as someone wisely pointed out no better time to add on the good stuff!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
With any of these spreaders, be sure to double check the warranty. I seriously doubt that the manufacturers will stand behind them!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I have a small Pequea spreader and used it for several years. Very reliable- only had to replace Delren cam follower a couple of years ago.

Also, I added a 'gate' that swings up at the back of the spreader. This does two things - keeps manure from falling out the back before I'm ready to spread, and helps shield me from organic shrapnel.

As far as being covered in your work...like stated earlier, watch the wind and drive SLOWER! Spreading manure is not a timed event.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a small Pequea spreader and used it for several years. Very reliable- only had to replace Delren cam follower a couple of years ago.

Also, I added a 'gate' that swings up at the back of the spreader. This does two things - keeps manure from falling out the back before I'm ready to spread, and helps shield me from organic shrapnel.

As far as being covered in your work...like stated earlier, watch the wind and drive SLOWER! Spreading manure is not a timed event.
I have a bigger pto driven spreader. The "organic shrapnel" is nothing a bath won't take care of. What I don't like is when a rock or larger unexploded shell so to speak hits the beaters. Doesn't matter if you're driving into the wind or not. I've had them come flying up and hit me in the back. Just something to watch out for. That spreader seems to be good at that.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I have a bigger pto driven spreader. The "organic shrapnel" is nothing a bath won't take care of. What I don't like is when a rock or larger unexploded shell so to speak hits the beaters. Doesn't matter if you're driving into the wind or not. I've had them come flying up and hit me in the back. Just something to watch out for. That spreader seems to be good at that.
...again, drive s l o w e r. :creep:

Reactions: Stablenickers

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts

·
Administrator
20,987 Posts
I'm sorry, but doesn't this seem like a crappy idea?

:mocking:
Ok. I'm sorry. KMMDI. :flag_of_truce:

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
big no-no. the drive chains fall off almost constantly, and it is a pain in the a$$ to get everything engaged. dont ask how i know...:banghead:
Interesting. You are the first person I've heard mention anything negative about them. *rethinks*

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
140 Posts
...again, drive s l o w e r. :creep:
Driving slower with a pto driven spreader won't help the artillery barrage. They run independent of the axles. Going slow with a ground driven spreader will help with thrown objects but they are designed to run a certain speed. To fast and the beaters will throw "stuff" out without chewing up the clods or the whole pile just rolls over the beater. With a dual beater system like my old JD L spreader they tear up the manure much better but with to fast of a ground speed it just plugs up. Been there, done that. ONCE, didn't take me 2 times shoveling that out by hand to learn my lesson. To slow however and you might as well just take the beaters off and let the manure just drizzle on the ground. A pto spreader however is run entirely by the power shaft. I even used mine to haul dirt with. Not something I care to do to often because it's hard on the floor chains but I dump some dirt in, take it to were I want it and leave it sit in one place. Just turn it on clean out mode where the beater doesn't run but the chains do and it will dump the dirt on one pile on the ground. As a matter of fact I lost a neighbor several years ago to an accident with one. He was done and was cleaning it out. He had it running like I do when I clean mine out with a garden hose so all the floor chains are cleaned off but for some reason he left the beater running and decided to climb in. Near as anyone can guess he tripped on one of the chains and was knocked out. The chains then proceeded to carry him to the beater. Wasn't much left of him when he was found. No one knows to this day what he was thinking but it was a shame none the less.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts