Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1026r, 54QH plow and I've bent a fitting twice on the front of my angle cylinder due to packed snow..

Anyone else have this happen? Any good fix?

The ice packing seems much worse on the angle cylinder side, I think due to the hot exhaust blowing on it.. I've plowed two winters with it and have just started having the problem, the biggest difference is it's been wicked cold, plowing in -5f to +5f. I think it's exaggerating the icing..

First fix attempt will be to move the exhaust direction to keep it off the plow, if that doesn't work I might fire up the plasma cutter and cut a window in the plow frame so snow doesn't pack in there.

Seems like a pretty big design flaw to me? Am I missing something?

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Different plow and tractor but it has happened on my 318.

You may need to re-clock the fitting or the cylinder to keep it out of the way.

Can you post a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll get a picture tomorrow, it's -3 out now :)

It seems to be all clocked and setup per the setup manual, just seems like really tight clearances..

If it happened on your 318 then the exhaust probably isn't my issue, since 318 exhaust is high on the opposite side. Hmm

·
Administrator
18,309 Posts
Unfortunately its a common problem with that design, and has been for many years. The fittings are easy to replace luckily.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any opinions on cutting out a ~2x2" opening behind where the fitting hits? It looks pretty over built as is, but I'd hate to twist it..

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,819 Posts
Pictures?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are some pictures of the issue and a chalk mark outline of what I'm thinking of trimming..

You can see how much more snow is packed on the exhaust side, so I think putting a turn out on the exhaust will be step 1..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
Here are some pictures of the issue and a chalk mark outline of what I'm thinking of trimming..
My suggestion would be to re-clock the forward fitting so that the 90˚ return comes back over the top. Loosen the nut on the hose end at the 90˚ fitting. Loosen the jam nut where the fitting threads into the cylinder body. Rotate the fitting ~ 180˚ and you should gain more clearance at the hitch. Tighten everything and you should be in much better shape.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,819 Posts
I agree with Superglidesport.
Wish I could see it in person.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll give it a shot, but I'm not sure it will gain me much, the whole end of the cylinder ends up in the plow frame at full angle. It's just a bad design IMHO

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
I'll give it a shot, but I'm not sure it will gain me much, the whole end of the cylinder ends up in the plow frame at full angle. It's just a bad design IMHO
You'll be fine. Rotate the fitting so that it clears the top bracket when angled. I had the same issue with a quick hitch and handled it as recommended. No longer an issue for me as I replaced the front blade with a snowblower.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Super, I'll give it a shot. Off to Lowes to find something to extend / deflect the exhaust, 1.25 emt conduit seems like it might work, if not I could resort to the drain pipe fixes that others that others have used :)

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
Thanks Super, I'll give it a shot. Off to Lowes to find something to extend / deflect the exhaust, 1.25 emt conduit seems like it might work, if not I could resort to the drain pipe fixes that others that others have used :)
1 1/2" 90˚ Copper Elbow worked on my 2320 exhaust. I had to open the I.D. a bit using a Dremel tool with a HS Steel burr. I then slit the end so that a Stainless Steel Hose clamp would tighten it onto the exhaust pipe O.D. It's directed outward and slightly upward to clear the tire and wheel. Simple and effective fix.

2015-02-20 21.34.41.jpg 2015-02-21 10.16.59.jpg

Reactions: BigJim55 and Gizmo2

·
Registered
23,059 Posts
After reading through this thread this morning I can see what your problem is - the pics really helped! My way of doing thing is not only to fix what is broken, but to find the cause so it won't happen again. Yes, it could be a design flaw or something like that, but I end up with a burning question. How is the snow getting packed in the area behind the plow? Are you doing some back dragging that would cause snow to get behind the plow?

Just trying to understand how that snow is getting in that area in the first place and then I would work on stopping that from happening if I could.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

Just trying to understand how that snow is getting in that area in the first place and then I would work on stopping that from happening if I could
In my case it usually happens when "stacking". If I don't get the ramps packed right snow comes over the top pretty quick. Any way you slice it those fittings on the QH are very poorly placed regarding obstacles like chunks of frozen slush... And sometimes one just has to backblade around the bird feeders.:laugh:

Reactions: BigJim55 and Gizmo2

·
Registered
452 Posts
My suggestion to keep the snow out of that area would be to attach a piece of rubber sheet; like rubber roofing membrane that would cover that area to prevent snow from getting in there in the first place.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
My suggestion to keep the snow out of that area would be to attach a piece of rubber sheet; like rubber roofing membrane that would cover that area to prevent snow from getting in there in the first place.

Bob
Bob,

Good idea. This snow and ice buildup is also prevalent with the quick hitch when used with a snowblower. The only difference of course being that the angle function is locked-out.

Frank

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the same problem same plow and gear...it's pretty hard to not get snow inside if your plowing any amount of snow ,IMO ...it's a terrible design flaw period. And should be addressed by Deere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I did a plumbing exhaust fix, I went the more chrome route lol. If it ends up being a mod I like I'll get some exhaust pipe and weld it on. See pic.

Snow definitely gets in there from stacking, which is unavoidable where I live. I finally broke down and put the loader on for some more serious stacking this afternoon. I've got piles 5-6' tall, 8-10' deep by almost 20' long at the end of the drive now.

I guess I'll have to stack more often with the loader and less with the plow, it's just an annoying flaw.

I did some clean up with the plow after stacking and I must say much less snow stuck to the plow after redirecting the exhaust, but some snow still packed in by the cylinder, the heat from the hydraulics seems to make some ice pack. improved but not fixed, I'm going to hold off trimming anything for now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts