Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's always a puzzle getting large/heavy items to Hawaii. In the best of situations it is still a major part of the total cost if it is not already sold here - or if only sold by one dealer. I managed to save almost $6000 on my 1025 TLB buying it in Calif. and shipping it here. But my local dealer is less than happy trying to fix a persistent problem with my backhoe - but that's another story.

Now I'm looking for a 48" PTO tiller for my 1025. Nobody stocks them here, and the very few outlets that say they can get them have only "house brand names" - and they aren't really excited about ordering any of them for me.

My JD dealer will sell me a new 647 for $3600 plus tax and a 6 week wait.

And I can get a 48" King Kutter for around $1200-1300 online - but it's $400 to get it to the West Coast, dropped at a shipping company's dock, and then another $500+ to get it to my island. So $2500 if I'm lucky. None of the "big" farm suppliers seem to ship freight items direct to Hawaii.

I thought I would ask if anyone here is from Hawaii and found a better way of buying tractor accessories/attachments.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Those off brand tillers are made in China. If you end up trying one of those you might be able to get one cheaper by having it shipped directly from China.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,115 Posts
For the most part I think I'd like to live in Hawaii but that has to be a PITA konakid.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,280 Posts
Is there even anyone else living in Hawaii that has a tractor besides you? :unknown:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
To answer the above questions.
- I haven't found a way to order anything directly from China. Alibaba usually wants mega-quantity. Those vendors offering lower quantities charge even more for shipping, and vetting them for trustworthiness is impossible. And then there is a language barrier. Sending away a large sum of money, with no recourse if problems, doesn't seem like a great idea.
- There are lots of farms here - on my island (the Big Island) there are many coffee farms, cattle/horse ranches, and smaller ag projects. There is one JD and one Kubota dealer here - but very limited inventory - everything is order and wait - and not much incentive for them to work with you on price. In fact, getting a call back is never a guarantee.
- And yes, finding and getting large heavy "one at a time" items is the biggest PITA with living here. But obviously I determined the pluses outweigh this downside. Now that Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, and Costco are within 10 mins, all the normal necessities are easy to find and with reasonable pricing, considering where we are.
- And used equipment is rare and pricey, since there is demand for reasonably priced decent equipment. Below is a rare offering. First tiller I have seen in 3 months of looking. But $1100 for the tiller and $600 for the mower.....? I'm not a mechanical miracle worker - I couldn't even take them for free.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
To answer the above questions.
- I haven't found a way to order anything directly from China. Alibaba usually wants mega-quantity. Those vendors offering lower quantities charge even more for shipping, and vetting them for trustworthiness is impossible. And then there is a language barrier. Sending away a large sum of money, with no recourse if problems, doesn't seem like a great idea.
- There are lots of farms here - on my island (the Big Island) there are many coffee farms, cattle/horse ranches, and smaller ag projects. There is one JD and one Kubota dealer here - but very limited inventory - everything is order and wait - and not much incentive for them to work with you on price. In fact, getting a call back is never a guarantee.
- And yes, finding and getting large heavy "one at a time" items is the biggest PITA with living here. But obviously I determined the pluses outweigh this downside. Now that Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, and Costco are within 10 mins, all the normal necessities are easy to find and with reasonable pricing, considering where we are.
- And used equipment is rare and pricey, since there is demand for reasonably priced decent equipment. Below is a rare offering. First tiller I have seen in 3 months of looking. But $1100 for the tiller and $600 for the mower. I'm not a mechanical miracle worker - I couldn't even take them for free.
Agree with you on the tiller, by I would take a look at that rotary mower. I suspect it would be fine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agree with you on the tiller, by I would take a look at that rotary mower. I suspect it would be fine.
That was just another example. The rain and salt air here really do a job on metal. I would expect it is worse than it looks underneath.

I have a x300 for my limited mowing. :)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It's always a puzzle getting large/heavy items to Hawaii. In the best of situations it is still a major part of the total cost if it is not already sold here - or if only sold by one dealer. I managed to save almost $6000 on my 1025 TLB buying it in Calif. and shipping it here. But my local dealer is less than happy trying to fix a persistent problem with my backhoe - but that's another story.

Now I'm looking for a 48" PTO tiller for my 1025. Nobody stocks them here, and the very few outlets that say they can get them have only "house brand names" - and they aren't really excited about ordering any of them for me.

My JD dealer will sell me a new 647 for $3600 plus tax and a 6 week wait.

And I can get a 48" King Kutter for around $1200-1300 online - but it's $400 to get it to the West Coast, dropped at a shipping company's dock, and then another $500+ to get it to my island. So $2500 if I'm lucky. None of the "big" farm suppliers seem to ship freight items direct to Hawaii.

I thought I would ask if anyone here is from Hawaii and found a better way of buying tractor accessories/attachments.
From the looks of that rusted junk. You would be better off buying new from the JD dealership. After a major purchase they will be more likely to want and help you with other problems. Plus tiller would have great resale value should you ever want to sell it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the looks of that rusted junk. You would be better off buying new from the JD dealership. After a major purchase they will be more likely to want and help you with other problems. Plus tiller would have great resale value should you ever want to sell it.
Maybe even this --- I'm thinking (since I've been tossing around the idea of upsizing to a 2032) - and since there is a special of a free implement in effect - of asking if the dealer might be a bit more inclined to configure a deal for me on a new tractor, loader, backhoe, tiller, and forks. Depending on what I could get for the present tractor (60 hours, garaged and like new), backhoe, loader, forks, dollies, and an older pickup I'm not using anymore, maybe my payments wouldn't be that much more. I may be able to get close to what I paid for them - if I find the right buyer. I can be patient.

Thanks to you guys around here, it's hard not to lust after the bigger/better/newer. :)

Couple of questions please:
- if I got an iMatch and JD tiller, would it switch over easily (from a 1025) to a 2032?
- how about the Artillian forks?

·
Administrator
18,523 Posts
Those off brand tillers are made in China. If you end up trying one of those you might be able to get one cheaper by having it shipped directly from China.

I’m pretty sure the King Kutters are made in the USA.

·
Administrator
18,523 Posts
Couple of questions please:
- if I got an iMatch and JD tiller, would it switch over easily (from a 1025) to a 2032?
- how about the Artillian forks?
Yes to both.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Reactions: rw580

·
Registered
265 Posts
Reactions: rw580

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No - Amazon is usually my "go-to" solution for many things. But many times you get to the final step, or sometimes even after collecting the payment, and an email comes later with the "Sorry, we cannot ship there."

At least in your suggestions, it states on my main first page that they don't ship here.

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
I’m pretty sure the King Kutters are made in the USA.
But I don't consider King Kutter off brand. I am talking about the brands with names like Accubic found on Amazon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts