Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I've had my old A since 1975. My father-in-law made a living by having his own business fixing JDs for over 60 years. He completely went through this A and sold it to me in 1975. He is now gone and I have no mechanical ability to fix this tractor if something goes wrong with it so I'm selling it. I would appreciate any ballpark figures anyone can provide on what to ask. I'm looking to ask a fair price. A couple of pictures are posted. There is also a saw rig attachment that goes with the tractor. The tractor has always been stored in the pole building.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Boy, that’s a terribly hard question to answer and those tractors are super easy to work on and maintain. Around here you can buy a Johnny Popper running and ready to hit the field for less than $2500. I bought a running, operating 60, the A’s replacement for $1600. It was a bit rough and didn’t have a loader.

Check your local Craigslist and see what others are listed for. That won’t tell you what they sold for, but it’ll at least give you an idea of what you’re up against.

That’s a really nice looking tractor too. I wouldn’t give it away.

·
Registered
715 Posts
One thing that is easy to do is search eBay for completed listings. That will show you what (hopefully) similar items have changed hands for.

Not that many As on eBay right now, but this will show you a few and similar tractors that may give you an idea.

Al

·
Registered
7,854 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I'm leaning towards a firm $3500. My father-in-law had also switched it over to 12V. With the petcocks open, it turns over very easy.

Boy, that’s a terribly hard question to answer and those tractors are super easy to work on and maintain. Around here you can buy a Johnny Popper running and ready to hit the field for less than $2500. I bought a running, operating 60, the A’s replacement for $1600. It was a bit rough and didn’t have a loader.

Check your local Craigslist and see what others are listed for. That won’t tell you what they sold for, but it’ll at least give you an idea of what you’re up against.

That’s a really nice looking tractor too. I wouldn’t give it away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please help me. A couple of days ago I was offered a good contract in the field. I use my tractor to help old couple gather some sort of agricultural crops. But today, I notice that my machine goes differently than it stops and when I take it apart I saw that pressure plate was broked. I called all my friends and in all the shops no one hasn't john deere 1020 parts. Guess gonna order them online now and I am not much of an Internet user.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Please help me. A couple of days ago I was offered a good contract in the field. I use my tractor to help old couple gather some sort of agricultural crops. But today, I notice that my machine goes differently than it stops and when I take it apart I saw that pressure plate was broked. I called all my friends and in all the shops no one hasn't john deere 1020 parts. Guess gonna order them online now and I am not much of an Internet user.
Welcome to GTT.

Do you need help finding the parts, or actually ordering them online? What exactly do you need help with?

I see you have linked the website John Deere 1020 Parts to the post. Perhaps ,can tell us precisely how you need help (locating the parts, identifying the parts, determining which specific parts you need, etc.), and the best way to provide that help can be determined.

To the moderators, Perhaps this post should be it's own thread..(?)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hello,

I've had my old A since 1975. My father-in-law made a living by having his own business fixing JDs for over 60 years. He completely went through this A and sold it to me in 1975. He is now gone and I have no mechanical ability to fix this tractor if something goes wrong with it so I'm selling it. I would appreciate any ballpark figures anyone can provide on what to ask. I'm looking to ask a fair price. A couple of pictures are posted. There is also a saw rig attachment that goes with the tractor. The tractor has always been stored in the pole building.

Thank you.
Yeah, that's not worth much, probably $100 and I'll take if off your hands. When should I pick it up? :lol:

In all seriousness, it's in the range of $2k-$4500, depending on the buyer you find and how it's running right now.
Loader will add for some, reduce for others, so it's a crap shoot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that's not worth much, probably $100 and I'll take if off your hands. When should I pick it up? :lol:

In all seriousness, it's in the range of $2k-$4500, depending on the buyer you find and how it's running right now.
Loader will add for some, reduce for others, so it's a crap shoot.
Hi Cutty,

It's in excellent shape. I hadn't started it since last summer and it popped right off with opening up the pet cocks. I just don't use it enough to justify the space it takes up in the pole building. I would think a tractor in good shape up here should sell because there's not that many around. Besides, I'm getting up there and my kids keep telling me to start getting rid of some things. They think the clock is ticking for me! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to GTT.

Do you need help finding the parts, or actually ordering them online? What exactly do you need help with?

I see you have linked the website John Deere 1020 Parts to the post. Perhaps ,can tell us precisely how you need help (locating the parts, identifying the parts, determining which specific parts you need, etc.), and the best way to provide that help can be determined.

To the moderators, Perhaps this post should be it's own thread..(?)
I am new to the forum and that's why I didn't wanted to create a new thread.
Well, as I mentioned, I am not an advanced internet user, so buying things online is a new thing to me. I need to know if I should trust the website I gave link to or not. And if not, how to find a good seller on the web.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought a running '51 JD model A last year off of craigslist for $1200 without loader.

I would have not bought it if it had a loader, or paid less.

Just me,

BaconFarms

·
Registered
78 Posts
That is the place I bought mine from last year.

Very nice people. Great to do business with.

They buy at auctions and sell on craigslist. So that might tell you what these A's can be had for, and sell for..

Make sure you have some time when you get there. I spent an hour looking at all the tractors and parts tractors. They got a bunch.

I think they sale parts too!

For what it's worth,

BaconFarms

1 - 13 of 13 Posts