Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
20,718 Posts
Interesting. Just to comply with their own rules huh?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I know that way back in the day, rubber tires were a huge step up from the old steel wheels. I wonder how these compare to the modern OEM rubber? It looks like the plates swivel like the tracks on a crawler to increase the tractor's foot print.

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
Interesting. Just to comply with their own rules huh?
That's pretty interesting. So, the Mennonites can't use rubber tires on their tractors? Anyone know the reason?
There are hundreds of different Mennonite and Amish communities most of which have their own "rules". These rules aren't really self imposed but to comply with their church.

The Amish near me will not use any engine driven pieces for movement but will use a stationary engine to power an air compressor or belt system to power implements and tools in a barn. Anything that moves is horse pulled. But they won't use a stationary engine as a generator to make electricity.

There are some, as shown in the example above, that will use powered movement but with no rubber. Some will have cars but they must be black with no chrome at all.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
There are some, as shown in the example above, that will use powered movement but with no rubber. Some will have cars but they must be black with no chrome at all.
We used to call these the "Black Bumper Mennonites" when I lived in Lancaster, PA.

I was informed that the reason the church does not allow rubber tires is to simply make it as uncomfortable as possible to drive the tractor anywhere but on soil. This helps deter using the tractor like a vehicle, which this particular group of Mennonites does not allow their members to own.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
When we were Amish we couldn't have rubber tires. Everything had steel wheels which included our buggies. (That throws the ease of transportation out the window.) The reason for this was because in the Bible some where it says to do away with worldly goods or not to be like the world. This is why they don't or aren't supposed to have modern goods. I have asked about this many times and so far got one straight answer as to why the Amish do what they do. That answer was "it's their custom". All the other answers I got is BS as I could use the same Bible and prove them wrong. I, to this day don't understand why they do things the way they do. I've lived that life for my first 13 years and although I don't regret what it taught me, I would never want to do it again. It is a hard life but it works for them. I'm just glad I'm not one of them anymore. The Mennonites are what I call "two steps up" from the Amish and for them to do what they did to that 1023 is beyond me. The Amish can't buy that tractor in the first place and for the Mennonites to buy one and do what is done on that tractor is...crazy because they can have rubber, air filled tires for the most part. That is a sect that took part of the Mennonite ways and part of the Amish ways and made their own church to their liking. All the Mennonites in Michigan and Indiana use modern equipment for everything. There are some Amish, and I'm talking about my relatives here too, that move to other states where there are no other Amish so they can do as they please. At the same time there are some that move to other states where they are more stricter because that is what they want. I knew what was going on as soon as I saw this pic but the only thing I could think of when I was looking at it was...STUPID! :banghead: Just my opinion.

The fuel filter on that tractor doesn't look like it's ever been changed. So much for the service on it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That steel wheeled tractor has a mower deck. Can you imagine the ride comfort while mowing with those wheels? PSRumors....KennyD.....can you make some seat springs to help?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The heck with the peeps. What about that poor tractor? They might as well have just carved the wheels out of stone like the Flintstones.

This is my take on abusers of equipment.
What happens when you don't take care of your kids? They get taken away. lol and they keep the payment book.
Then give the poor thing to someone that will actually appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Interesting way of life.
Make it as tough as possible on yourself.
Love how its ok for them to make the evil dollar though.
Wonder how the dealer warranties the 1023 when every thing rattles off from driving on steel wheels. Didn't see that option in manual.

·
Administrator
17,991 Posts
Wonder how the dealer warranties the 1023 when every thing rattles off ...
Just like on a Harley Davidson, LOTS of Blue Loctite :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,977 Posts
I'd rather ride that than this: 2330.JPG Saw this one at an Amish pallet plant where I used to get sawdust.

Amazing some of the things they can think up to use more modern equipment, including big round balers with engines! We have several different Amish/Mennonite groups in our area, all with different rules.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Just like on a Harley Davidson, LOTS of Blue Loctite :laugh:
This is what I tell my customers when ever they have problems.
Harley parts & fasteners only have 2 torque settings.
Can't get it off no matter how hard you try or it falls off on the road while you are riding and nothing in between. LOL

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
When we were Amish we couldn't have rubber tires. Everything had steel wheels which included our buggies. (That throws the ease of transportation out the window.) The reason for this was because in the Bible some where it says to do away with worldly goods or not to be like the world. This is why they don't or aren't supposed to have modern goods. I have asked about this many times and so far got one straight answer as to why the Amish do what they do. That answer was "it's their custom". All the other answers I got is BS as I could use the same Bible and prove them wrong. I, to this day don't understand why they do things the way they do. I've lived that life for my first 13 years and although I don't regret what it taught me, I would never want to do it again. It is a hard life but it works for them. I'm just glad I'm not one of them anymore. The Mennonites are what I call "two steps up" from the Amish and for them to do what they did to that 1023 is beyond me. The Amish can't buy that tractor in the first place and for the Mennonites to buy one and do what is done on that tractor is...crazy because they can have rubber, air filled tires for the most part. That is a sect that took part of the Mennonite ways and part of the Amish ways and made their own church to their liking. All the Mennonites in Michigan and Indiana use modern equipment for everything. There are some Amish, and I'm talking about my relatives here too, that move to other states where there are no other Amish so they can do as they please. At the same time there are some that move to other states where they are more stricter because that is what they want. I knew what was going on as soon as I saw this pic but the only thing I could think of when I was looking at it was...STUPID! :banghead: Just my opinion.

Religion is a fine thing, taken in moderation.

Sounds like what turned me off of to my religion. It baffles me how peeps can come up with some of this stuff. Better?

Levi, you are not alone my friend.

·
Administrator
20,718 Posts
Religion is also a very controversial subject. So much so that GTT has rules against posting about religion in the main forums. The only place where religious topics are "safe" here is the political forum. It's password protected to prevent accidental "wandering in" and reading potentially offensive subject material.

This thread is ok as long we don't start to say anything controversial or demeaning that others would take as offensive. :hi:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Sister saw this on a day trip to the finger lakes in NY. I know the deal.. anyone else?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Looks like a metal Tweel but surely won't ride as nice. (Not that I ever drove anything with either)
Heck I'm not even sold on filling tires with liquid ballast.

Wondering if they ever filed for a pattent?

The ROPS is not up. Guess they don't believe in safty either. LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts