Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have one of these new 4 seater gators? If so how do you like it? I stoped and looked at one the other nite but the dealer was closed, I liked the looks of them but they don't have very big engines, the 4 seater would be handy with hauling the kids and probably a little cheaper then the polaris 4 seater. Any suggestions are appreciated. Jason

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I sat on one in my dealers lot. It was nice, but not what I need. Going through trails I wouldn't want something that long. If your main plan is to have something to tote around the kids, then it will do just fine, if you want something to go to work, I'd look at a 625I or 850D.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
16 hp? That seems pretty light. My rzr has 88 and I want more..... makes me wonder how many hp my 850d has. Its a dog but works hard!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my thoughts that 16hp isn't much and only 28 mph. don't make much sence tome when you have a bigger machine then put a smaller engine in it. Thanks for the replys, Jason

·
Registered
1 Posts
14 working hours and two major problems

I bought my 550 s4 in november and I only have 14 hours on it! The transmission has already been replaced and now the clutch has gone and is being replaced! Over all not really happy with the 550 s4. Not enough power or ground clearance. I thought I was getting a much better product then the other brands?

·
Registered
65 Posts
xuv 550

not sure on xuv 550. We have an XUV 855D with about 50 hours. Great unit just runs, excellent suspension and low to ground so great on hills. Huge improvement over HPX we had before. No issues and starts well in the cold i.e. 10F.

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
Wife bought a S4 in July , have just a little over a 100hrs. This week shoveled the bed full of rock and dirt had no problems dumping . Transmission seem fine to me, but if I have a load of people, or bed full of something I always use L . Will say with smaller engine ,when you come to hill speed goes down quick. Would have thought JD could have used a larger engine, even a 23 or 25 air cooled .
Biggest complaint so far with the S4 is a squeak , comes from middle to back of unit. doesn't seem to be there in 2wd but if in 4wd going slow, seems like every time wheel revolves ,it squeaks. Dealer says it not the brake just not sure. Have noticed it will backfire at times .

·
127 Posts
We have heard some people complain about the XUV550 S4 lacking "power" when fully loaded. Has anyone taken a look at the new 825i S4 gator that they just came out with? We have one sitting on our showroom floor right now. I will have to say there will be no lack of power in these units. They also added power steering to help with turning. Take a look at some of the specs on out website here. John Deere Gator 825i S4 | Mutton Power Fort Wayne More pictures will be coming soon. Just waiting for a nice warm sunny day. It doesn't help that we got a nice snow yesterday. Hopefully it will all be gone soon and spring will be here shortly.

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
We have heard some people complain about the XUV550 S4 lacking "power" when fully loaded. Has anyone taken a look at the new 825i S4 gator that they just came out with? We have one sitting on our showroom floor right now. I will have to say there will be no lack of power in these units. They also added power steering to help with turning. Take a look at some of the specs on out website here. John Deere Gator 825i S4 | Mutton Power Fort Wayne More pictures will be coming soon. Just waiting for a nice warm sunny day. It doesn't help that we got a nice snow yesterday. Hopefully it will all be gone soon and spring will be here shortly.
Thanks for that info, I just seen the new 4 seater this past Sunday. Looks like it would be a nice machine.
You was saying others complaining about lack of power and it is true for ours. We noticed with ours it seems to be drinking double or triple the gas , and would smell a rotten egg odor at times. Dealer took carb off and adjusted float seemed to help , know using about a 1/3 the amount of gas compared to when we first got the Gator. Know I notice if it sits and idles any length of time will backfire at first press of throttle.
Just wondering if your dealership has had any problems like this to or any in site to help correct this problem, without spending another $4-5000 .
Thanks
Gened

·
127 Posts
Thanks for that info, I just seen the new 4 seater this past Sunday. Looks like it would be a nice machine.
You was saying others complaining about lack of power and it is true for ours. We noticed with ours it seems to be drinking double or triple the gas , and would smell a rotten egg odor at times. Dealer took carb off and adjusted float seemed to help , know using about a 1/3 the amount of gas compared to when we first got the Gator. Know I notice if it sits and idles any length of time will backfire at first press of throttle.
Just wondering if your dealership has had any problems like this to or any in site to help correct this problem, without spending another $4-5000 .
Thanks
Gened
Gened,

I took a quick trip back to the shop to talk to our lead mechanic. This is the information he told me to relay onto you. For starters he said to check your spark arrester screen on your muffler and your air filter. If your unit was running a little rich it could have caused that screen to clog up much faster then normal. His words were if the screen is dirty then it could be causing your engine to not "breathe" properly. I have seen this occur on small engines in the Stihl line up in the past as well. The other step would be to check your air filter. I know that most of the country was in a major drought for a majority of the summer and caused above average dusty conditions. So even though your unit might have low hours on it still the high content of dust could have caused the air filter to become dirty much faster then usual. As he also said without taking a look at the unit himself it is hard to pin point the exact issue. I do know that with the new government regulation on emissions that they have been putting out that the carb is pre tunned for maximum efficiency. So just do a quick check of those couple of items on your unit an let me know what you come up with. Please do not hesitate to ask anymore questions. I am just personally curious how many hours do you have on the unit at this point in time. Have a great night Gened.

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
Gened,

I took a quick trip back to the shop to talk to our lead mechanic. This is the information he told me to relay onto you. For starters he said to check your spark arrester screen on your muffler and your air filter. If your unit was running a little rich it could have caused that screen to clog up much faster then normal. His words were if the screen is dirty then it could be causing your engine to not "breathe" properly. I have seen this occur on small engines in the Stihl line up in the past as well. The other step would be to check your air filter. I know that most of the country was in a major drought for a majority of the summer and caused above average dusty conditions. So even though your unit might have low hours on it still the high content of dust could have caused the air filter to become dirty much faster then usual. As he also said without taking a look at the unit himself it is hard to pin point the exact issue. I do know that with the new government regulation on emissions that they have been putting out that the carb is pre tunned for maximum efficiency. So just do a quick check of those couple of items on your unit an let me know what you come up with. Please do not hesitate to ask anymore questions. I am just personally curious how many hours do you have on the unit at this point in time. Have a great night Gened.
Thanks for the tips !!! I'll try to check those things over the next few days. Wife had surgery about a week and a half ago and still not doing well, so I've been staying close to the house checking on her.
I did have a chance while our daughter was here today to take the grandson a ride and noticed just shy 104 hrs. I will also agree very dry here and we did do a lot of riding on dirt roads. I would have thought the dealer had checked both of the items your mechanic had mentioned. Maybe they checked the air cleaned but I'm guessing not the spark arrestor. I knew about the Stihls not running correct if it was clogged , never gave the Gator that thought but I will check.

Thanks again and will reply I get a chance to do so
Gene

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
Thanks for the tips !!! I'll try to check those things over the next few days. Wife had surgery about a week and a half ago and still not doing well, so I've been staying close to the house checking on her.
I did have a chance while our daughter was here today to take the grandson a ride and noticed just shy 104 hrs. I will also agree very dry here and we did do a lot of riding on dirt roads. I would have thought the dealer had checked both of the items your mechanic had mentioned. Maybe they checked the air cleaned but I'm guessing not the spark arrestor. I knew about the Stihls not running correct if it was clogged , never gave the Gator that thought but I will check.

Thanks again and will reply I get a chance to do so
Gene
OK today I had a chance to check the air filter and muffler screen. The muffler screen seem ok wiped the black carbon off the screen . I then checked the air filter, it did seem dirty ,took filter out and blew air from inside to out . Reinstalled and did seem to idle a little better and it still had a hesitate but didn't seem as bad as it was before cleaning filter.
It never has liked running very well when engine is cold, and today is a very cold windy day. I'll run it toward the end of the week and see if it helps as much as it seems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
550 s4

gator.jpg gator1.jpg I own a JD Gator 550 S4 and I like it. If I bought one today I would make sure it was manufactored after December 2012 to be sure I wouldn't have the common problem of not being able to shift from reverse to forward. John Deere made a hefter Primary Clutch to replace the faulty one on the 2012 models. John Deere replaced my Primary Clutch. I still have a little problem but for the most part it works well. I added a winch , "Aero-Vent" Lexan Windshield, rear view mirrors, and turn signals. I made a matt for the bed so my dogs don't slip around. I use it mainly for crusing the beaches on Padre Island Corpus Christi Texas. I have used it to jerk out some Sago Palms. I move landscape rock, and some bricks that was over the 400lb limit. The litte Gator didn't squat much and moved everything with out a whimper. The 15HP has plenty of power to navagate deep sand and the Maxxis Bighorn tires cut right through it even with 4 adults. The height of the ground clearence is 9.3 inches but with the adjustable shocks it can be set to 11". I haven't ran into anything that has caused me to worry about 9.3 ground clearence. The ride is unbelievable very smooth. Don't get me wrong I have had my problems but my dealer was quick to get them fixed. Yes I would buy the 550 S4 again even with the problems it's a fun vehical and a great warrantee. Please spend the extra $500 for the extended warrantee. This is a new innovation for John Deere and about $10,000.00 cheaper than the 825i s4 and from what I read the 825i has some problems too. Because it is new the extended warrantee is a good idea. Bugs will come up just like with any new product.

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
Well just got off the phone , dealer has had our 550 s-4 the last few day replacing the shift cables and hefter Primary Clutch. He told me it shifts like it should have, and the shifting cables. While they had up on the lift the mechanic found 2 bolts missing from around the rear axles , (I think) said it looked like they had never been installed . So they replaced them , plus I kept saying it seems like the carb is loading up and gives off some back odors at times.
Checked the air filter said it looked clean (that was my thought) but said shining a light inside could not see the light from outside so they replaced it.
I have been taking the air compressor and blowing the filter from the end side ,guess it wasn't enough , so hoping this helps.
I need to take the 1026r in , so I don't think I going to pick gator up till Monday.
Hope these things help.
Yes , it does everything I've asked it to do even getting stuck . Only had to pull it about 4-6" and it came out on it own.

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
Picked up the Gator this morning , while at the dealers the shop foreman ask me to see if it seemed better.......OH MY , what a difference. He was telling me , like you that it is a hefter clutch, and Deere has changed the belt to a smaller width . So have a new drive belt also and guessing you also have a new belt. They also changed both shift cables and now that works much better. After I came home used Gator guessing 1 -1 1/2 hr so much nicer..

·
Registered
291 Posts
My wife really wanted one but I said no as the box is only half the size of the one our our Gator TH and I was not impressed with the power output or speed. Then I discoved the Polaris Ranger Crew, box is the same size as a TH Gator, has more speed and power and the icing on the cake is I can get one cheaper than the Gator S4 and it has nicer accomodations for all the passengers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts