Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize the answer to this question may be state specific (I live in PA) but does anyone know if there are any restrictions on putting an amber strobe on a tractor? My goal would be more visibility during the day and night when working near the road at the end of my driveway, especially when plowing snow at night. It could also save my bacon when I need to cross the highway to get to the neighbors property as the factory flasher lights aren't very visible from the side.

In JD's infinite wisdom the 2-series light switch mode choices are limited to flashers only, work lights only or headlights and flashers... work lights plus flashers is not an option. I would like to run the strobe when I have my front/rear work lights on.

Just curious what the collective wisdom and experience is out there regarding rules and regulations before I plunk down the money for a strobe.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Yep, that's gonna be a State level thing. Here in MA you are required to have a perm. mounted yellow flasher on any vehicle that is out plowing snow. I mounted mine off the back of my ROPS.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I think the reason for the different modes on the switch is that your not supposed to have the work lights on while operating on roads, and you don't need the flashers when your off road.
My 4720 has 3 modes....
1) flashers only (daylight on road)
2) flashers and headlights (night time on road)
3) headlights and work lights (night time off road)

So I think there is some method to JD's madness.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have the same switch choices complaint. In the winter I want ALL the lights on and especially the flashers. I have a slick 2 D-cell magnetic strobe that has several patterns. I stick it on the top of the ROPS. Town plow guy sez he can see it plain the moment he turns the corner 4 lots up. I know he won't see the flashers if I'm doing driveways...

As far as "legal"...? Either way, "Come and get me, Copper!":laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
I have the same switch choices complaint. In the winter I want ALL the lights on and especially the flashers. I have a slick 2 D-cell magnetic strobe that has several patterns. I stick it on the top of the ROPS. Town plow guy sez he can see it plain the moment he turns the corner 4 lots up. I know he won't see the flashers if I'm doing driveways...

As far as "legal"...? Either way, "Come and get me, Copper!":laugh:
Funny guy Harold! You sound like my dad when he was alive.. he hated coppers! When I was a kid I must have followed in his footsteps and to this day I still have my envelope full of speeding and fix-it tickets! Used to try to outrun them, (like you said come and get me), now all they do is pick up the radio and say "he's coming"! I am also more mellow than I was then. Don't care to speed and get along with police now, have a lot for friends. but I still like your attitude! I think I was born on the wrong side of the Mason Dixon line! Would have made a good booze runner! I showed a retired statie my tickets and all he did was laugh and say I knew those troopers back then! he would have given his mother a ticket back then, was in charge of all the state radar assignments.. Keep up the funny comments Hydro!

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
I realize the answer to this question may be state specific (I live in PA) but does anyone know if there are any restrictions on putting an amber strobe on a tractor? My goal would be more visibility during the day and night when working near the road at the end of my driveway, especially when plowing snow at night. It could also save my bacon when I need to cross the highway to get to the neighbors property as the factory flasher lights aren't very visible from the side.

In JD's infinite wisdom the 2-series light switch mode choices are limited to flashers only, work lights only or headlights and flashers... work lights plus flashers is not an option. I would like to run the strobe when I have my front/rear work lights on.

Just curious what the collective wisdom and experience is out there regarding rules and regulations before I plunk down the money for a strobe.
I don't think anyone can tell you that you can't put one on your tractor and just because you cross the street to do your neighbors property that doesn't count,, you want to put one on for safety, by all means that's your legal right to do so.. Jim stated in Ma you need to have on for driving around plowing that's true, but that's running around on public roads doing commercial work. IN your own yard or across the street, not required. You pop a blue or red light on you need a permit... at least around here you do.. You stick a blue light on and use it , you will be arrested if you do not have a permit.. Yellow/amber.. have at it.. Safety trumps getting your "Bacon" burnt! Believe what Hydro said in his last sentence!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yep, that's gonna be a State level thing. Here in MA you are required to have a perm. mounted yellow flasher on any vehicle that is out plowing snow. I mounted mine off the back of my ROPS.
In addition to it being a state or even local law requirement I would also say that it's generally dependent on if your operating for profit/commercial use of the equipment vs private use. If used for-profit/commercially most locations are going to require an amber light with 360• view. For private/non-profit use locally I know of no such requirement, but if you want to place one on your own dime for your own protection, amber is the proper color.

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In addition to it being a state or even local law requirement I would also say that it's generally dependent on if your operating for profit/commercial use of the equipment vs private use. If used for-profit/commercially most locations are going to require an amber light with 360• view. For private/non-profit use locally I know of no such requirement, but if you want to place one on your own dime for your own protection, amber is the proper color.
I appreciate everyone's input. I live on a 2-lane rural road with a speed limit of 45 MPH. However, most cars go by like the speed limit is 45 MPH MINIMUM. My driveway is at the top of a gentle rise which means I don't get much warning for approaching traffic. This morning I was at the end of the driveway spreading some stones and cars passing by didn't even let off the gas.

At least with a beacon, I'll gain a few seconds of visibility.

Every little bit helps as there is no such thing these days as "too visible".

·
Registered
395 Posts
I believe most all larger tractors come this the strobe as standard equipment now days. I could be wrong but all of our new equipment has it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,106 Posts
I'm like you live near the top of a grade, ,speed limit 30 most do 55 or faster. I have LED flashing lights on back of tractor, have a LED Strobe ,plus flashing lights of tractor. Don't know if it is legal or not ,but my feeling is if I can save someone from hitting me or my family so be it. Even with the lights on have had some close calls because the other driver either going to fast for road conditions ,not paying attentions or they just don't care...Personal thought they just don't care, my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Personal thought they just don't care, my 2 cents.
Bingo.

I see it myself in the winter, while the beacon would be nice it's not going to slow some of these morons down. I feel like they are trying to see how close they can get.

I live on a two lane rural state route 35MPH limit and have installed my mailbox by the road and done some easement patching and have had my blood boil with some of these ya-hoos unwillingness to move over a couple of feet when they pass by with no oncoming traffic.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
I agree with the previous posters about speeds especially during winter months,, it's almost like there are no consequences these days with an accident,, hey they don't get hurt on their video games right!!! You guys watch out on those bad hill spots and be safe.. Hate to see a fellow tractor person in trouble or worse.. and by the way,, people do not drive at the posted speeds anymore they drive at what they feel is comfortable for them... its a very fast paced society we live in now, wish I could go back to a more simpler relaxed time like it used to be... I think of all the farms we had around my area and what we have now (house developments on all the acres) and it makes me sick, but I thank the government for that, I'll pay you to stop producing milk and buy your cows.. Thanks boys. Thank goodness we still have a few that said screw you, this is my life and it will stay that way.. Cow manure is now composted black gold, hay is big money and apples and vegetables are thriving in my area.. Cumberland Farms has thousands of acres in central ma and their home base is in West Brookfield one of my inspector towns I cover and they are expanding, good, that's what we need. They even bought another house to take care of the housing for the farm workers.. I like that, it makes the town a nice rural area.. Right down the street we have another farmer who deals with hay and those little mini horses.. The daughter takes them all over the world for shows, she loves the Texas trip and they have hundreds of acres of farm land and it will always stay farmland never to be sold off for housing or commercial development.. What was the post again??? Sorry to rant.. It's early, well not to early anymore.. have a great day people.. and if they get that close to you at your mail box, that's why we have digits on our hands!!!! :nunu:

·
Registered
311 Posts

I think you're supposed to have a permit for an amber beacon in NY but I don't think it's enforced. I added these for winter work as I figure many times you're plowing in reduced visibility. I want everyone to see me when I'm in the street, especially the village and state plow trucks. I just wired the strobe into the work light connections so it goes on with the headlights.

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Mine is on the ROPS, and has a separate switch:
DSC07953 (Large).JPG

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I run one on my ATV while plowing. First couple snows when I got the plow I had people come around my truck parked on the street at the edge of my driveway and pull into where I was or was about to be - despite having my headlights shining out into the street or up the driveway visible from where they were coming from. The amber blinky blinky has curbed my pucker encounters with cars for 4 seasons now.

Law or not, I run one. It's $15 bucks well spent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts