Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm contemplating a purchase of John Deere 47 inch snow blower for our relatively severe Minnesota snows. The dealer asked if he should quote a price including setup of hitch, blower, etc. I'm wondering what could the setup be ? Let's see, if the quick hitch mount is the right one, it should simply install with pins, I presume, Snap into place. Looks to me with the hitch installed on machine, I would drive into the snow blower and it would couple up. What am I missing about setup ? Couple of hydraulic hoses to route and plug in. In your opinion is this a service I should pay extra for. Maybe I would be paying to just have them simply put it on the first time.
What do you good folks think ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
:munch:

I'm kind've curious myself. I've been contemplating a front blower (missed one on Craigslist by about 2 days) and I've been wondering what all is involved. I want to get the broom someday, too. Most of that bracketry is needed for that as well.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Most likely its just installing the hoses onto the cylinders and maybe a few other simple task's. Do it yourself and save...and learn to!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Quick hitch support plates mounted in conjuction with the grill gaurd, mmm front mount, quick hitch support bracket with front pto kit, shaft, carrier bearings, gear box oil, hydraulic angling chute, and then just the hoses. The instructions should be ok, just get familiar with your shop floor.

·
Registered
375 Posts
When I bought my tractor this spring, I had the mower and front snowblower delivered "crated" and performed all the setup myself. I learned a ton about how the implements work and it helped me understand the physical connections between the attachment and the tractor.

If you don't mind turning a wrench, I wholeheartedly follow Kennyd's recommendation to do the setup yourself. You will save a few bucks and the learning experience is priceless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
snowblower setup

I think your dealer should show you how to do the first setup for free,as they should go over everything to make sure it works correctly.My dealer did & that was two months after JD pulled their dealership.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I think your dealer should show you how to do the first setup for free,as they should go over everything to make sure it works correctly.My dealer did & that was two months after JD pulled their dealership.
Setup is normally only done once. In this case "Setup" is uncrating, bolting on necessary brackets, hooking up hydraulics, filling fluids, etc..

That's not the same thing as "hooking up" (or attaching) an already setup attachment.

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
X2 on all of the previous comments. You'll just need common hand tools.

If you don't have any, pick up a quart of hydraulic fluid as you will be filling the cylinders and hoses.

:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am with the others...go for it on your own

If nothing else, post the pics of what you get an I am sure you would get plenty of feedback from the members here for proper setup.

Good luck with that snowblower!

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
My dealer installed the front bracket for the snowblower/blade mount but it really doesn't look like much to install yourself. The bracket bolts on at the front of the frame (see picture). This bracket is used to quick hitch the front snowblower PTO driveshaft mount to. This front PTO mount does need to be removed along with the snowblower driveshaft when using the mower or FEL. It is not very hard to install once you do it once or twice. Along with the front PTO mount, there is a proximity switch that sees the snowblower drive shaft. This proximity switch plugs into a wiring harness under the front of the tractor. This disables the RIO (Reverse Implement Option) so you can back up when the snowblower driveshaft is in place without having to be concerned with the engine shutting off.
By the way, my dealer mounted the male end of this plug under the front of my tractor so I have a storage place for the wire on the tractor when the snowblower isn't mounted. This fake plug can be wired with a jumper wire to bypass the RIO all the time. FYI, my dealer didn't do the bypass wiring, I did.
Just as an added thought. I would consider the 54" snowblower rather than the 47". The narrower snowblower will clear a path wide enough for the tractor when travelling straight but when making a turn, the back wheels will run on the snow. With the 54", you won't have this problem and the tractor has plenty of HP for the 54".
Just my thoughts. I'm sure you will be happy with the snowblower and if my dealer would not have installed the brackets, I would have done it myself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,113 Posts
They sold you the tractor , and want a setup fee for setting up the snowblower. I would tell them where they could shove the blower, in a very nice way.
Never know when you will need them again. For a hour worth of labor at the most, they will PIS_ a customer off .. . Again just cannot believe what some dealers are trying to get away with, like they want to loose customers..

Some dealers prefer to make a $200 profit and sell 20 of the same items in a 6 mo time span , where others prefer to make a $1000 profit and only sell maybe 4 of the same items in a year.... Name is out in the public more, a lot more happier customers that will refer more customers to there business. Some never learn how to keep a happy and satisfied customer. Just my thought, treat others the way you want to be treated..plus the golden rule.

·
Registered
967 Posts
easy as eating apple pie

Snowblower is just assembly work. I did mine myself, it was easy just follow instructions. There is no setup, just putting parts together on the tractor. The blower it's self is pretty much done as delivered.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Following this thread while I decide on a blower, which size... or not...

Since I have the front hookup for my 54 plow I would need everything else but that. Looking over at Mutton I see parts like "upstops", etc. and wonder where they fit in with the package minus the quick hitch? Are they included with the blower and drive kits?

I may just bypass my dealer on this one and go "free shipping".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts