Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Quote, Sheriff Beauford T. Justice, "There is NO WAY you could have come from my loins.... I'm gonna go home and punch your Momma right in the mouth!" Yeah, I have "Smoky" permanently "saved" on my DVR.:laugh:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Yep, I'm a fan. Seen these cars back a few years ago and even though I'm a Mustang nut, I love what they did with the Trans Am and the Goat. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
I had a black 1979 Trans Am with Snowflake wheels and T-Tops. One car I wish I still had. I actually wanted a Formula. I thought they looked better without the wheel spoilers/skirts :dunno:, but they were harder to find than Trans Ams.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Loved that show and love that car. Occasionally I will see one sitting and rotting away, breaks my heart. Thanks for the link, hadn't seen those yet, very cool indeed.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Jackie was great in that movie, most people don't realize it, but almost all of his scenes were improvised.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Gleason deserved an academy award for that movie. He "MADE" the movie.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One (M8)

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
It was a great movie; it had the right balance of comedy, action and suspense...not forgetting the music. Jerry Reed (Chet Atkin's son-in-law) was the consummate finger-picker. I always liked his music...and he was a talented actor. As for Jackie Gleason, I think he was remarkably gifted; perhaps in the genius category. Here's one for the FWIW department; it seems the old Bird was a bit underpowered for the big bridge jump scene, so they fitted it out with a big CHEVY engine.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Great movie for sure.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hiya,

Sorry to stomp on your big Chevy thoughts but they put a 350 small block w/powerglide it in with aluminum heads, intake and waterpump to shave as much weight out of the front end as possible. The engine/trans swap was worth 400+ lbs savings over the Olds 403/TH400. The 6.6's were Olds GM corporate engines, the big Poncho's were the 400TA in '70-1/2 through '76, 455SD in '70-1/2 till '74, 6.6TA in '77 and '78. After '78 it was all Olds or Chevy power for the 'Birds.

They should have stuck odd fire 3.8 Buicks in them instead of that slug 301 for the turbo models in the early '80's, they could have had Grand National type performance in a chassis that was attractive to a lot of buyers.

Tom

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

They should have stuck odd fire 3.8 Buicks in them instead of that slug 301 for the turbo models in the early '80's, they could have had Grand National type performance in a chassis that was attractive to a lot of buyers.

Tom
Like they did in 1987 I believe with the GTA Indy package..

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
In 1989 they made the Indy Pace Car Turbo Trans Am. It was close to the 3.8 from the Grand National GNX. They needed different heads to fit the F-Body engine bay.
Retrospective: 1989 Pontiac 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am

I love this new car. They did a great job of blending old and new!

I also think Year One did a great job on this restro-mod version of the 1978.

The Burt Reynolds Edition Trans Am : Ghostworks Garage

I never cared for the nose on the 1979-81 cars. Some of them pulled it off, but the '77 & '78 are the best. '74 Super Duty is a good looking 2nd.

In my personal collection I have an '89 GTA. It looks just like the pace cars, only I have a 350 TPI. Now 383 with some love. Never finished though... Got tired of :gizmo: :gizmo:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Like they did in 1987 I believe with the GTA Indy package..
Yep, for 1 year, only in optioned out 20 year Anniversary trim and way too late to save the model. I actually can't remember seeing any GTA Indy's on the streets, plenty of GTA's though. I'm not sure of the specs on the boost or controller program but I'll bet it wasn't tuned as hot as the Buick.

Tom

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, for 1 year, only in optioned out 20 year Anniversary trim and way too late to save the model. I actually can't remember seeing any GTA Indy's on the streets, plenty of GTA's though. I'm not sure of the specs on the boost or controller program but I'll bet it wasn't tuned as hot as the Buick.

Tom
Guess it wasnt a GTA, just looked like one

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hiya,

I would say the '71 455 HO 4spd, white, is my favorite of the birds. I would do an AC and center console delete with Rally II wheels.

Of course that wussy 10 bolt with 3.42's would have to go and either a 9" Ford/8-3/4 Chrysler with 3.91's/3.89's in it's place. (No 12 bolts or Dyna 60's for the F body, they don't weigh enough to warrant those huge diffs, not worth the weight unless your running a tranz-brake and then my question is, if your running a tranz-brake, why are you running an F body?)

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts

Tom
They made the 3rd gen body style for another 3 years. 90 looked just like the previous year. '91 & '92 had a different body kit and nose, but were still 3rd gens. In '93 the 4th generation was released with the LT1 V-8 as part of the Formula and Trans Am packages. The LS powered cars came out in 98. The F-Body wasn't "killed" until 2002. My all-time favorite Trans Am was the 2002 Collectors Edition.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts