Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently been promoted at work, and I will be losing my company vehicle:cray::cray::cray:.
I've been thinking about getting a Subaru Outback for a work vehicle.
The main engine choices are a 2.5 L 4 cylinder, and a 3.6 L 6 cylinder.
I don't hear too many bad things about the 6 cylinder, but I see reports online about head gasket failures on the 2.5.
Just curios if any of your have any experience with these motors.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i bought a 2015 Outback last summer with the 2.5i engine. Frankly I can't imagine needing a 6 myself. The dealer through in a 7 year 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty so that eased my concern with the smaller engine, and with the 30 to 34 mpg everyday driving, I've forgotten all about any engine horror stories.
Simply love the thing even the CVT I thought I'd hate. It corners nice and flat to on the turns.

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
I'm thinking don't know for sure the head gasket problem was about 8-10 yrs ago. Our daughter had a 2011 or 12 ,had 50-60000 no problems. She and her husband just bought a 13 and 14 Outback both with 2.5 . I bought some wheels from a women that had 7 or 8 Subaru she had no complaints. Nephew's wife has owned 3 over the past few years all with over 60000.

Just helped a neighbor dig her Legacy out , this was her 3rd.

We just bought our 2016 Outback 2.5 it was used with 1023 miles so we have a 7yr 100,000 warranty , now just a little over 2000 miles . :dunno: Hasn't been out of the garage since Thur.

So far have nothing but praise for the one we bought.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm thinking don't know for sure the head gasket problem was about 8-10 yrs ago. Our daughter had a 2011 or 12 ,had 50-60000 no problems. She and her husband just bought a 13 and 14 Outback both with 2.5 . I bought some wheels from a women that had 7 or 8 Subaru she had no complaints. Nephew's wife has owned 3 over the past few years all with over 60000.

Just helped a neighbor dig her Legacy out , this was her 3rd.

We just bought our 2016 Outback 2.5 , just a little over 2000 miles . :dunno: Hasn't been out of the garage since Thur.

So far have nothing but praise for the one we bought.
...and that seems to be the norm among Subaru owners. They are loyal as heck and everyone I've run across say when this one dies I'll buy another. Our rural mailman beats the living snot out of his on the route......swears by them.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
My son has had 2.... So when they say" you can't kill a Sabaru" there is truth to that statement :lol:

And looking to put my wife in one soon...

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
I have a 2013 Outback with the 2.5 and the CVT in Premium trim. This is our 3rd Subaru. The first 2 being a 99 Forester (best car I have ever owned) and a 2002 Outback. We like this one the least. In cold weather the engine runs at a much higher RPM for a LONG time until the engine is warmed up (30 mins of drive time give or take). And by warmed up, I don't mean when the cold light on the dash goes off. This has gotten better as the car ages and breaks in, but it also hurts MPG. Supposedly the new Outbacks are better. In a warmer climate, this also would be a non issue. I have also heard that the 6 cylinder, of the same generation, mated with the 5 spd auto doesn't do this. However the new Outbacks mate the 6 with the CVT.

I would still buy another Subaru, even an Outback and I don't dislike this one. I think their cars are well built and reasonably priced. I just don't feel the 2013 2.5 CVT is their best effort.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Kind of off topic a bit - but I've always wondered about this....

There are Subarus all over the place around here - almost as many as 4WD pickups. But the neast dealer is close to 100 miles away. Are these people really travelling that far to buy one?

I would be concerned about getting proper service from a dealer being so far away.

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
We also have them all over the roads here. But, it's the opposite...we have 2 dealers. They are probably 15 miles apart as the crow flies. We live in between both of them and they are both owned by the same people, go figure!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
2015 Forester 2.5, the CVT in Premium trim here. No regrets at all.
As etcallhome stated, head gaskets are no longer an issue as far as I know.
As PaDave stated, "I can't imagine needing a 6 myself" I agree.

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
I forgot my friend has a 2003 Outback , 167000 , has driven it 2 times in the past 2 weeks to Canton Ohio. He found out 3 weeks ago his brother has cancer and not expected to live 2 or 4 mos. Prayers for him and his family.

As others mentioned ,several of the rural mail carriers have used Outbacks for the past 20-25 yrs. The one carrier even owned the right hand drive models.

For me and what I used ours so far the 2.5 is all you need. I'm thinking of towing my trailer and SXS . :dunno:

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
I know nothing about Subarus Arlen, but congratulations on the promotion at work.

Now someone will come along and say "let's get this thread back on track".:laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
We have a 2005 Baja with the 2.5 turbo. It's got 175,000 or so on it with no major mechanical issues. It had the valve cover gaskets, timing belt and radiator (cracked in an accident) done at around 150,000. I'm happy with the power, never driven the 6 cylinder. Should anything happen to this one, we'd replace it with an Outback or maybe a Crosstrek.

You can't go anywhere out here and not see a Subaru. Everybody has one. Nobody does fulltime AWD as well as they do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have a 2005 Outback 2.5 with 5 speed that my wife bought brand new, now has 120,000. Its been an awesome car and never once fixed anything other than regular maintenance. The only expensive thing is to do the timing chain or belt (can't remember which) around 90000-100,000 miles before it breaks. If it breaks it will probably require an engine rebuild. Personally I love the H4 engine and wouldn't consider the 6 and its too bad you can no longer get a manual tranny in it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've recently been promoted at work, and I will be losing my company vehicle:cray::cray::cray:.
I've been thinking about getting a Subaru Outback for a work vehicle.
The main engine choices are a 2.5 L 4 cylinder, and a 3.6 L 6 cylinder.
I don't hear too many bad things about the 6 cylinder, but I see reports online about head gasket failures on the 2.5.
Just curios if any of your have any experience with these motors.
I have a 2014 outback 2.5 with 30,000 miles on it. I like it a lot.

I did a lot of research on the head gasket issue. Most of it was early 2000's. They came out with a new motor in 2011 and my understanding is there haven't been any HG problems.

I purchased the 7yr 100,000 warranty for $1200. Peace of mind.

There is a lot of stuff out there about 2012 & 2013's eating oil. Mine has started to eat a little oil. About 1qt every 6-7 thousand miles. There is a class action law suit out there about the 12's & 13's.

I would buy it again.

Phil

·
Super Moderator
8,041 Posts
There is a lot of stuff out there about 2012 & 2013's eating oil. Mine has started to eat a little oil. About 1qt every 6-7 thousand miles. There is a class action law suit out there about the 12's & 13's.
I wouldn't think that 1 qt. of make-up oil in 6-7K miles is excessive at all. In fact, in my mind 6-7K miles is beyond a normal oil change interval. JMHO.......

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
I wouldn't think that 1 qt. of make-up oil in 6-7K miles is excessive at all. In fact, in my mind 6-7K miles is beyond a normal oil change interval. JMHO.......
I agree, especially using 0W-20.

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
Agree a qt of oil in 6-8k miles , IMO past time for a oil change . I can see a law suit for a new vehicle using a qt of oil in 500-800 miles. Several owners of a popular SUV came in and would buy a 6 pk of oil just so they could take a trip or drive to work.

·
Registered
438 Posts
In 2015 Subaru replaced the timing belt with a chain. No scheduled maintenance required now.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My girlfriend owns a Subaru outback, a 2006 I think it is, and... Her experience has not been as good as your guys'. In the past 8 months, she has had to spend 200-600 dollars every few months. She has been chasing electrical gremlins almost since she bought it. It was used, but it had one previous owner, an elderly lady who didn't put too many miles on it. The radio display does not work entirely, so you can't see what station you're on, the transmission interlock was acting up and would not allow her to shift out of park, the regulator on the alternator went, and fried a lot of relays and fuses by overvolting them when the engine was revved, and lately, her 4 cylinder engine has been struggling to get better than 21mpg, even on the highway. There were plenty of other issues, but I'm struggling to recall them all right now. We understand most people love their Subaru's, but that is not the experience we have had.

Oh, her Subaru has under 140k miles, too.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
My girlfriend owns a Subaru outback, a 2006 I think it is, and... Her experience has not been as good as your guys'. In the past 8 months, she has had to spend 200-600 dollars every few months. She has been chasing electrical gremlins almost since she bought it. It was used, but it had one previous owner, an elderly lady who didn't put too many miles on it. The radio display does not work entirely, so you can't see what station you're on, the transmission interlock was acting up and would not allow her to shift out of park, the regulator on the alternator went, and fried a lot of relays and fuses by overvolting them when the engine was revved, and lately, her 4 cylinder engine has been struggling to get better than 21mpg, even on the highway. There were plenty of other issues, but I'm struggling to recall them all right now. We understand most people love their Subaru's, but that is not the experience we have had.

Oh, her Subaru has under 140k miles, too.
I'm not the OP but we (I) like the good with the bad here on GTT. Thanks for the post. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts