Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hate to duplicate threads, but since my other one specifically asked about attaching/detaching a blade, I thought I'd better start one just to get thoughts on the advantages / disadvantages of using a blower over a blade. Not sure which way I want to go here. I bought a new 590 but didn't get any snow equipment with it (long story...explained in the other thread!)

I watched a video of a 590 owner switching his mower to blower and I gotta say that the blower that hooks on to these things really looks a bit unwieldy and heavy (he strongly suggested using a dolley to move it around).

One consideration I'm looking at very carefully is trying to work with items that are the least amount of weight and thus easiest to move around. As I'm getting older, I'm not as much a fan of lifting and moving large, weighty items! So the easiest (and yet effective) solution is probably the best. From watching the video, I'm truly wondering if simply buying a snow blower that is all ready to go might be a heck of a lot better than going through all the hassle of hooking the Deere blower up to the tractor!

Thanks for any thoughts...
Keith

·
Registered
539 Posts
Not to take a side in the heated snow blower Vs. plow battle that seems to exist, but here's my thoughts

Plow is much cheaper and can a plow can be used for more than snow. You are used to all the up and downs of plowing as you've done it for years. In heavy snow it can be very slow and finding places to put all the snow can at times be difficult.

Snow blowers are significantly more expensive and have more things that can brake. They are only useful when it snows. Depending on the amount of snow and how smooth your driveway is they don't always clear the snow well. On the positive side of things though blowers can at times especially in heavy snow be much faster than plows. You will never run out of space to put the snow. They can sometimes get to more of the snow than a plow can which could cut down on your shoveling around obstacles and edges.

Personally I would much rather have a snow blower than a plow. That is as much a personal choice as it is a practical choice based on how my property is set up. My drive way is long, steep, has multiple bends, and there is nowhere to push the snow into. For now I'm stuck with my Ariens walk behind until my JD get a nice new attachment.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've been using a JD plow for 25 years. Unless you live in the snowbelt, it is way better than a snow blower. As has been mentioned blade is cheaper and less to brake. Another big advantage in snows < 12" is that it is way faster. I can have my driveway plowed and be back inside drinking coffee before the snow blower guy could make one pass.

In heavy snow areas, a snowblower may be more appropriate as it throws the snow that otherwise would be too heavy/far to move with a plow. Snowblowers also leave a more pleasant appearance with their neatly cut paths. another advantage is on stone drives. It's a bit easier to get most of the snow off without picking up gravel. Then again, if you do pick up stones, they could shear a pin the blower.

The weight of the plow isn't too bad, and it can be put on a cheap dolly if there is a need to move it about. As for hook up and removal: a snap on these JDs. And no shaft to fuse with like with a blower.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have used a walk behind blower for years. Much rather ride then walk. lol Especially with a large area.

If you don't have room to push the snow off the area you want to clear go with the blower. A blade will only stack the snow a few feet high. So this requires more room to put it.

Another note is my plow is almost useless for back dragging. Maybe the newer lift design works better.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Another big advantage in snows < 12" is that it is way faster. I can have my driveway plowed and be back inside drinking coffee before the snow blower guy could make one pass.

Not sure what kind of blower you are talking about- My 590 and 47 inch blower can blow rather quickly, under 6 inches I can probably move snow close to as fast as a tractor with plow, over 6 inches the 47 inch snow blower and 590 combo not even close the blower much, much faster. Plus in heavier snow it blows snow away from driveway, with plow you run out of room. I get some people just like to use plow, and in that case get the plow, it works , with a 590 a plow will be more work in heavier storms as you will have to go out to plow several times so Tractor can move the snow. With snow blower you can out once and blow 25 inches of snow. Easy answer here, if you live in area that only gets a few snow events a year and they are usually under 6 inches, go with plow, cheaper solution and works well in light snow events. If you live in area with a lot of snow and heavy storms, the plow will work, but the blower hands down better solution As far as weight of blower, buy a $12 dolly from harbor freight and push snow blower around with one hand

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
What side driveway do you own? Do you have space to on all sides or at least a few to pile the snow rather than just leaving it 2" off the edge of the driveway? Rather than putting the blower back on a dolly can you just get a large stall mat and drop the snowblower on it prior to removal? At the end of the season stack it on the dolly.

I have an x758 and with the front QH it's juuuuust not high enough off the ground for me to lower my 54" blade on it, unlatch it, and back out. The whole machine or at least the QH needs 2-3" more of height. I effectively lift the blade off the QH each time. Luckily I'm younger and in good health.

I just got a larger driveway with my new home and have the wife's approval to buy a 54" snowblower if I want it. This is because she didn't want me using a 28" Ariens walk behind and being outside for hours on end. I've had the blade, which I picked up used, for awhile and only used it on dirt and mulch so first time for snow. This first storm of WET 8" wasn't bad at all for me and makes me think I'll wait for a bad one to hit, get my @ss kicked, and then buy the blower. Like every other dummy :laugh:

·
Registered
657 Posts
What side driveway do you own? Do you have space to on all sides or at least a few to pile the snow rather than just leaving it 2" off the edge of the driveway? Rather than putting the blower back on a dolly can you just get a large stall mat and drop the snowblower on it prior to removal? At the end of the season stack it on the dolly.

I have an x758 and with the front QH it's juuuuust not high enough off the ground for me to lower my 54" blade on it, unlatch it, and back out. The whole machine or at least the QH needs 2-3" more of height. I effectively lift the blade off the QH each time. Luckily I'm younger and in good health.

I just got a larger driveway with my new home and have the wife's approval to buy a 54" snowblower if I want it. This is because she didn't want me using a 28" Ariens walk behind and being outside for hours on end. I've had the blade, which I picked up used, for awhile and only used it on dirt and mulch so first time for snow. This first storm of WET 8" wasn't bad at all for me and makes me think I'll wait for a bad one to hit, get my @ss kicked, and then buy the blower. Like every other dummy :laugh:
HAs your wife ever met mine?? One of the exact same reasons I bought the x580 and blade this past spring and sold my Ariens Pro 28. Figure it out. I'm 67, the driveway is 3 cars wide 275 feet long and up hill from the street. The Pro 28 weighs in at a light 420lbs, and I've had one heart attack already. All of that means no more blower for me. And just like up here in Boston we had 10" of that nasty wet snow to deal with. The 580 did a great job thought. And lastly, I have to lift my blade off of the QH as well.:unknown:

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I’ve had to buy a blower mid winter due to plowing and running out of space for banks.

A blower isn’t required every year, but when it is there is no alternative. As for speed, I can run full speed in up to 8” of snow. If I take a 3’ bite that strip is completely done. The old single stage blowers had some times of being slower then plowing, but that’s not the case when you have 20hp turning a 47.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
HAs your wife ever met mine?? One of the exact same reasons I bought the x580 and blade this past spring and sold my Ariens Pro 28. Figure it out. I'm 67, the driveway is 3 cars wide 275 feet long and up hill from the street. The Pro 28 weighs in at a light 420lbs, and I've had one heart attack already. All of that means no more blower for me. And just like up here in Boston we had 10" of that nasty wet snow to deal with. The 580 did a great job thought. And lastly, I have to lift my blade off of the QH as well.:unknown:

Haha one in the same I guess! I had a hydro pro 28 as well, it’s an incredible machine and while I regret selling it to not have a backup, I didn’t want the payment. I’m trying to figure out a better storage removal method. Mine is a 10’x600’ drive at the top there’s room to park 4 cars and then straight ahead there’s 2 spots in front of the 2 car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I’ve had to buy a blower mid winter due to plowing and running out of space for banks.

A blower isn’t required every year, but when it is there is no alternative. As for speed, I can run full speed in up to 8” of snow. If I take a 3’ bite that strip is completely done. The old single stage blowers had some times of being slower then plowing, but that’s not the case when you have 20hp turning a 47.

What your describing is exactly what my plan is. But then I’m like every other idiot that walks in and I hate being an idiot. I pride myself on Being prepared for nearly anything. Since I’ve never lived on this side of the state before I’m not sure how much weather has changed or if it’s wetter. CT is weird with how it accrues snow and since I’m not in either norther corner it’s not a ton nor frequent.

I plan on getting the 54” when i pull the trigger. My dealer will also install a single or dual actuator for the chute rotation and chute pitch. Apparently they make a custom harness and they use a similar toggle to that like the headlights....if I understood them correctly

·
Registered
539 Posts
Which side of CT are you on? This state has some really weird snow patterns. We also get everything kind of snow slush and ice combination you can think of.

After seeing my tractor sit in the shed nice and dry after this last storm I don't know if I can make it through this winter without buying some snow equipment.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I get similar weather along the coast here. I get more total snow on average then you, but equal sized big ones that are the problem.

FYI at my dealer yesterday someone wanted a walk behind, they had nothing smaller then 3 series available. Expect to buy a shovel if you walk in mid season and order a blower.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Not sure what kind of blower you are talking about- My 590 and 47 inch blower can blow rather quickly, under 6 inches I can probably move snow close to as fast as a tractor with plow, over 6 inches the 47 inch snow blower and 590 combo not even close the blower much, much faster. Plus in heavier snow it blows snow away from driveway, with plow you run out of room. I get some people just like to use plow, and in that case get the plow, it works , with a 590 a plow will be more work in heavier storms as you will have to go out to plow several times so Tractor can move the snow. With snow blower you can out once and blow 25 inches of snow. Easy answer here, if you live in area that only gets a few snow events a year and they are usually under 6 inches, go with plow, cheaper solution and works well in light snow events. If you live in area with a lot of snow and heavy storms, the plow will work, but the blower hands down better solution As far as weight of blower, buy a $12 dolly from harbor freight and push snow blower around with one hand
Agreed. I can clear the drive at full speed which is 9 mph. That is as fast as anyone can go with the machine I have, so not sure how it could be faster. The last storm was 12 inches of heavy wet snow. Had to cut back the speed a bit, but I never have to worry about taking the blower or plow off to move piles that most likely will be ice with the loader. Or i would have to plow initially a 14 foot wide driveway 20 ft wide to insure there would be enough room for later storms. The only advantage to a blade is less blowing snow, but only if it is calm. There is really no way I could use a plow, due to a building and the configuration of my driveway. Just isn't practical, or Id be doing a lot more shoveling. No Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Blower pros:

It does a neater job and is more precise.

You are less likely to need weights or chains.

You can drive fast or slow depending on your preference.

You don't have to worry about where to pile the snow.

It works just as well in 20" of snow as with 2".

Also, I use car dollies like this to put my attachments on. The lower section in the middle makes it easier if the blower or blade does not lift very high.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Which side of CT are you on? This state has some really weird snow patterns. We also get everything kind of snow slush and ice combination you can think of.

After seeing my tractor sit in the shed nice and dry after this last storm I don't know if I can make it through this winter without buying some snow equipment.
Grew up in wallingford, first home when I bought my x758 was 1/4 acre in meriden. 3 years later we flipped it and got 5 acres out in Colchester, so now east of the river.

I'll be honest it sucks watching it sit all winter. I'm much happier knowing I can use my machine year round now.

BACKSTORY not to side track: We only had a 1 car garage so brought mine the first years to my in laws to store. Figured it be nicer to have my wife's car in the garage and I'd shovel the 20x60 driveway. That lasted only a few storms before I bought an Ariens. I used it for the balance of winter. In the fall I sold it and bought a larger Ariens Pro. I got one storm out of it before we were in contract to purchase this new house (3 weeks ago). Once we were locked in my wife said "no walk behind for the big driveway I don't want you outside for hours on end especially that often." Keep in mind I'm only 30 and fit but she's caring and we've been married a little over a year so she still cares :laugh: I sold the Ariens with the intention of buying a 54" which she approved of. For the hell of it I said let me try plowing and if I get in a jam i'll buy the blower and she said it was fine.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome to the part of the state that people west of the river just assume is part of Road Island.

I'm just a little bit south east of you in the Quaker hill section of Waterford. You will get plenty of chance to use that blower or plow where you are.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Would be very much interested in learning more about this!

What your describing is exactly what my plan is. But then I’m like every other idiot that walks in and I hate being an idiot. I pride myself on Being prepared for nearly anything. Since I’ve never lived on this side of the state before I’m not sure how much weather has changed or if it’s wetter. CT is weird with how it accrues snow and since I’m not in either norther corner it’s not a ton nor frequent.

I plan on getting the 54” when i pull the trigger. My dealer will also install a single or dual actuator for the chute rotation and chute pitch. Apparently they make a custom harness and they use a similar toggle to that like the headlights....if I understood them correctly

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I just say Have Both a Blade & a Blower or two tractors, I actually have 3 Tractors set Up for snow removal Loader Mounted Blade and my 2025R, Blower On My X748 and 48inch Blade On MY GX335.

But really the Blade Can be faster But as Other have said You Can run out of Room depending on How Much snow You get a year. The Blade tends to clear Pavement Better if You Put On a Rubber squeegee I find a Blower does Better on concrete and a Blade does Better On asphalt as Long as You Have the room that is :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Grew up in wallingford, first home when I bought my x758 was 1/4 acre in meriden. 3 years later we flipped it and got 5 acres out in Colchester, so now east of the river.

I'll be honest it sucks watching it sit all winter. I'm much happier knowing I can use my machine year round now.

BACKSTORY not to side track: We only had a 1 car garage so brought mine the first years to my in laws to store. Figured it be nicer to have my wife's car in the garage and I'd shovel the 20x60 driveway. That lasted only a few storms before I bought an Ariens. I used it for the balance of winter. In the fall I sold it and bought a larger Ariens Pro. I got one storm out of it before we were in contract to purchase this new house (3 weeks ago). Once we were locked in my wife said "no walk behind for the big driveway I don't want you outside for hours on end especially that often." Keep in mind I'm only 30 and fit but she's caring and we've been married a little over a year so she still cares :laugh: I sold the Ariens with the intention of buying a 54" which she approved of. For the hell of it I said let me try plowing and if I get in a jam i'll buy the blower and she said it was fine.
I grew up on the east side of Wallingford. Small world.
I’m looking for a used snowblower now.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I didnt see it mentioned anywhere, but how long is the drive in question?

Also, keep in mind, some guys arent telling you what tractor they are plowing 12" of snow with.
In my neck of the woods, a good early or late snowfall thats wet, and my 318, loaded down with me and another 400# of weight isnt pushing 12" very far. Neither will too many other garden tractors.
Dry fluffy stuff? Sure. All day long.
That said, on my old short driveway, 12" of wet snow wasnt too much of a problem, but took some thought as to where to put it, as the drive was short, but I had to push it out of the drive onto the road, then push it back into piles at the end of the drive.
With a blower, its one pass down and done with that one.

At our new place, Ive got over 300' of drive. If I keep on top of it while its snowing, its not a problem to push it where I want in one pass. Up near the garage and parking area though, its still a pain compared to the blower.
Once you figure out a good pattern for your place, either is fairly quick under light conditions.
If you are fighting with heavy wet snow, youll want a blower.

Luckily, Ive got both, plus the 2025 and loader, so there really isnt much I cant handle.

Maybe relevant story.
My particular 318 wears a 49 Thrower in Winter most times. That particular 49 thrower (single stage) fought the Blizzard of '78 here.
My Grandfather had some good pictures from that Winter, and the drifts that he cut through with his 312 and that snow thrower. The work it did was impressive.
Fast forward about 33 years, and the 318 and same thrower and I went through our old neighborhood after a 16" snowfall. Had drifts in driveways better than 3' in some spots.
The 49 impressed me again with what it would do.
That tractor and a 54 blade would have been just about worthless in that amount of snow, so Im a bigger fan of a snowblower over a blade, but the blade does have more uses than just snow as has been said, and if you dont get a lot, it works just fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts