Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does Shell Rotella T5 meet the spec of Plus 50 II? Tractor Supply is about 30 miles closer than John Deere. :hide:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
So does Shell Rotella T5 meet the spec of Plus 50 II? Tractor Supply is about 30 miles closer than John Deere. :hide:
Sure. Oil is oil as long as it meets John Deere's requirement for the API service classification. The most recent service classification for diesels is CK-4 (which Rotella T5 meets), but CH-4, CI-4, and CJ-4 are all also considered current, in the even that your TSC store doesn't have the most current oil (unlikely, since CK-4 has been specified since 2017). That's the oil I plan in switching to for winter operation of my 1023E. I think synthetic gives better cold starting in a typical Minnesota winter.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Thats what I use. Works good. :good2:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Should work fine, but for the minor cost difference, at least around here, Id go with the 5w40 T6.
I much prefer synthetics over conventional, but to each their own.

Any good oil that meets the spec will work just fine. No reason you have to buy Deere branded oil unless you want to.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No reason you have to buy Deere branded oil unless you want to.
I can either mail order JD oil or make a 60 mile round trip just for three quarts worth. Or I can make a 4 mile round trip to TSC, Walmart, Autozone etc. I believe I'll shop close by. I already have a filter on hand.

Reactions: PaDave and BigJim55

·
Registered
343 Posts
Should work fine, but for the minor cost difference, at least around here, Id go with the 5w40 T6.

Any good oil that meets the spec will work just fine. No reason you have to buy Deere branded oil unless you want to.
I use T6 5w40 in my 2025R. It starts much smoother especially when it’s cold outside. Check the Shell website, I’m pretty sure there are rebates offered until the end of 2019. Makes the T6 an even better value.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have been using it since the first oil change on my 2011 1026R. It hasn’t blown up yet. I do use JD filters.
I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. In the past, John Deere oil filters have been reported to be made by Fram (which would be a bad thing - notoriously bad filters). I don't know if they still are (or ever were) but I think oil filters are more important to the longevity of your engine than the oil you use (assuming correct API service classification). Point being....we have a rigorous quality assurance process for the lubricating oils we use in our vehicles, but nothing certifying the quality of the all-important oil filter we use. Personally, I wouldn't use an oil filter if I didn't know who made it. All of my filters are Wix/NAPA Gold, AC Delco, or Champion (there are other good ones) -- all objectively demonstrated to be high quality.

Fram makes a lot of filters for branded as OEM. Look carefully at your oil filter or the box it came in....if it says "Made in Canada", it's a Fram and I wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
23,580 Posts

Same here - I use T6 in all my diesels and have for many years. Available at Walmart for the best price plus you get a $7 rebate per gallon no matter where you buy it.

Never had a reason to use T5.

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Premium Member
13,634 Posts
I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. In the past, John Deere oil filters have been reported to be made by Fram (which would be a bad thing - notoriously bad filters). I don't know if they still are (or ever were) but I think oil filters are more important to the longevity of your engine than the oil you use (assuming correct API service classification). Point being....we have a rigorous quality assurance process for the lubricating oils we use in our vehicles, but nothing certifying the quality of the all-important oil filter we use. Personally, I wouldn't use an oil filter if I didn't know who made it. All of my filters are Wix/NAPA Gold, AC Delco, or Champion (there are other good ones) -- all objectively demonstrated to be high quality.

Fram makes a lot of filters for branded as OEM. Look carefully at your oil filter or the box it came in....if it says "Made in Canada", it's a Fram and I wouldn't use it.
Good points. Has anyone actually cut open any of the JD engine oil filters to see how they are constructed? There are several YouTube videos with folks cutting open various brands and comparing them. Messicks did one comparing Kubota filters to various 3rd party filters.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Regardless of who makes the filters, they are made to Deeres specs, like everything else.
They are not, and never were, constructed like the cheap Frams everyone hates so much.
Im not sure where the talk of Fram making filters for Deere comes from, (not discussing anyone on this forum, as Ive seen it elsewhere too) but all it takes is one guy saying it and 20 others will pick up on it. Much like anything these days, no facts presented, just conjecture.

A guy here dissects a Deere filter...and its definitely not a Fram inside.
Who makes John Deere oil filters? - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Its a lot of talk about nothing really.
They are as good as most other filters out there. Not as good as some, better than others.
There are better ones, but they usually cost more.

As with anything though, dont like it? Dont use it.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Regardless of who makes the filters, they are made to Deeres specs, like everything else.
They are not, and never were, constructed like the cheap Frams everyone hates so much.
Im not sure where the talk of Fram making filters for Deere comes from, (not discussing anyone on this forum, as Ive seen it elsewhere too) but all it takes is one guy saying it and 20 others will pick up on it. Much like anything these days, no facts presented, just conjecture.

A guy here dissects a Deere filter...and its definitely not a Fram inside.
Who makes John Deere oil filters? - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Its a lot of talk about nothing really.
They are as good as most other filters out there. Not as good as some, better than others.
There are better ones, but they usually cost more.

As with anything though, dont like it? Dont use it.
I don't know who makes John Deere filters either. What I do know is that they don't make them, so it's hard to judge the quality. As you say, though....I'm more comfortable knowing who made the filter, because there is a wide variation in design and construction quality.

The mfgr of my boat (MasterCraft/Indmar) had a deal with Pennzoil, prominently recommending their oil and filters. The filters were made by Fram to Pennzoil's specifications. There were several failures reported over several years, including me. I wasn't alone...it got a lot of play on various boating discussion forums. It affected my biases regarding OEM-branded oil filters.

There's a NAPA on my way home from work....picking up a Wix/NAPA Gold for my boats and motorcycles, and now this tractor, makes me quite a bit more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Never had an issue with Shell Rotella. For that matter, Mobile & Texaco either. These oils meet all API specs. You have construction companies out there using these oils in all types of equipment & costing into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If you have an engine failure, it won't be from any of these oils if you did the proper change intervals & routine maintenance.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I can say with certainty that Deere doesn’t tailor their order to the capabilities of the manufacturer, or their quality systems. You either make deere what they want, how they want, with the quality checks and metrics they want or Deere will have someone else do it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

Filter quality & performance relies on some key components like the filter media itself, the pleating, the media end caps & seals & the micron filter rating. Beyond that you can get picky about base plate weight & construction, by-pass valves & springs & all the nit picky stuff right down to the color paint on the outside.

But to say a filter is not good, requires evidence to support your claim. Like does the filter media stand up to oil channeling, how many square inches of media are there, what is the paper's micron ability rated at, are the packs securely sealed into plastisol or another sealant & it goes on & on.

I can't tell you about today's Fram filters, but in the 1960's I worked at Purolator Oil filter's headquarters in Rahway, NJ. I can tell you with absolute certainty that the R & D Dept. & testing lab was driven crazy by the quality of Fram's engineering & component quality. I don't recall where Fram was manufactured back then. I believe it was in MA, but not sure.

Back in the 60's Fram was Purolator's NO.1 competitor. The filter companies were dependent on winning contracts with the auto makers to provide filters for the auto assembly plants. Ford Motor Co. back then had some of the most rigid engineering standards that had to be meet. The filter companies were made responsible to the auto makers to pay for ANY oil filter related failure problems that might occur under their New Vehicle Warranties. Back then, these companies could not survive on retail market sales alone. And most of the refinements & quality levels were driven by the auto makers. Today, we no longer have the same Auto Industry we had back then. Today's cars are Global. Who is responsible for what is anyone's guess. But if you were making filters or anything else in todays economic world, would you do it for more money than needed to meet spec, or would you reverse engineer everything to the minimum spec & increase your gross margin to survive?

There seems to be some issues with Made in Canada filters. I do believe Purolator is now a Canadian Product. Purolator is no longer the leader it was in the filter business. I was at Purolator when it was making piles of money & then the greed of management destroyed it. Purolator expanded its business into the Armored Car Business, the Private Ambulance Business, A Mental Health Hospital, and a giant financial mess involving the Federal govt. & trade laws. The filter division's profit was drained to pay for all of these failed business ventures & law suits. The place self destructed. Fortunately for me, I left just before the lights were turned off. I don't know who took over the Purolator filter division, but its not what it was in the 60's.

So it would be a good thing, I think, that if people are going to think negative about a product, they should have some facts to back up their claims. I'm just say'n. Personally, I think they are a good filter. Maybe not as good as what they did in the sixties, but what products of today are as good as they were back then, including JD. I don't know for sure, but I was told a while back that Wix was the JD supplier.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Subaru oil

A bit off topic but a co worker called me about his Subaru. He had changed the oil and used Mobil 1. Within a fairly short time frame the oil was down a quart so he asked the dealer about it. The dealer said if you use Subaru oil that won't happen as it's especially matched to Subaru engine requirements. According to my co-worker, he was right. He's used Subaru oil since then and never needs to add any but he said two filters and a case of oil were $151.00.

I"m not trashing Mobil 1. Everything I've read says it's a very good oil as is Rotella. I just don't know what would make Subaru oil any better.

Treefarmer

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
A bit off topic but a co worker called me about his Subaru. He had changed the oil and used Mobil 1. Within a fairly short time frame the oil was down a quart so he asked the dealer about it. The dealer said if you use Subaru oil that won't happen as it's especially matched to Subaru engine requirements. According to my co-worker, he was right. He's used Subaru oil since then and never needs to add any but he said two filters and a case of oil were $151.00.

I"m not trashing Mobil 1. Everything I've read says it's a very good oil as is Rotella. I just don't know what would make Subaru oil any better.

Treefarmer
My wife bought a Subaru Outback in January. I've read the same anecdotal accounts on the internet of their boxer engines using oil. Looked good when I checked the stick. I can't really say yet about any other oil, since the dealer gave us 4 free oil changes in 6 month intervals. We just got the first free one done. Guess I'll find out down the road in a few years. The only plausible explanation I would know of is maybe it likes a specific viscosity. :dunno: I believe I read in the book it calls for 0-20w syn. I've been using Mobil One in all my vehicles for years with no problem.

Edit: According some more articles I just read, it seems a few years ago there was a class action lawsuit claiming that defective piston rings were to blame for the extra oil consumption. Hope they resolved that by now.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

Treefarmer
Is it possible your friend somehow shorted his oil change by a quart? We all make errors. Did he look inside the end of his tailpipe? Maybe he could spot evidence of oil burning. There would be black wet residue.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
On my 2 tractors I use rotella t6 and oem filters.....been doing it for 10 years on one 3 on the other, both run:bigthumb:

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Anything is possible

Is it possible your friend somehow shorted his oil change by a quart? We all make errors. Did he look inside the end of his tailpipe? Maybe he could spot evidence of oil burning. There would be black wet residue.
It's possible that he shorted it, anything is possible but he doesn't buy many new cars and this one is taken care of like a third child. I won't say it didn't happen because as you say, we all make mistakes but he would probably be ramming his head against a wall if he thought he shorted the fill.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Maddog
1 - 20 of 36 Posts