Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting prepared to install new hydraulics to my 4R tractor and wanted to know if any thread sealant is recommended on the fittings shown below or is the o-ring sufficient? There a quite a few of these types of fitting in the 3rd SCV and Power Beyond kits from JD.

I believe they are referred to as SAE Straight Thread O-Ring (O-Ring Boss) SAE J1926-1 ??

If so, would Loctite 565 LOCTITE® 565™ Thread Sealant Controlled Strength - Henkel or a paste PTFE thread sealant like RectorSeal T Plus 2 https://www.rectorseal.com/rectorseal-t-plus-2/ be acceptable?

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,098 Posts
No but: smear some oil on the o-ring before installing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
PTFE on threads do not act as a sealant,,
the Teflon simply allows you to turn the fitting together more than if tightened dry.

There is a negative to Teflon,,,
since it allows the threads to move easier,, the fitting can also loosen easier,,,:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree. No sealant is needed and those don't need to be super tight either. We use them at work all the time. The O-ring does the work.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Pipe sealant with teflon is one thing...and not needed on this application as the o-ring does the sealing...but NEVER, and I mean NEVER, use teflon tape on any fitting or component in a hydraulic system. "Bits" of teflon can break off & clog and even stop valve spools and pumps from operating. Most modern tapered hydraulic fitting are NPTF and only require a lubricant, not a sealant, on the threads to tighten & seal properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts