Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'll be getting off of work in the morning and my wife will be stopping by the JD dealer to pick up a mulch kit for my 2016 1025R with a MMM. Planning on putting the mulch kit on and giving the yard a quick cut before I head back to work.

I was hoping to avoid the dreaded JD black and white installation pictures after a few hours of sleep. :sleep:

Are there any tips or issues that I should be aware of for the install..?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
13,612 Posts
What deck do you have? The mulch kits are very different between the 54d and the 60d. I've had both and both had mulch kits, the 60d is easier to install, but neither one takes a rocket scientist. The instructions that come with both are very simple and very clear.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 60" MMM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Related question from another reader: 60D mulch kit

What deck do you have? The mulch kits are very different between the 54d and the 60d. I've had both and both had mulch kits, the 60d is easier to install, but neither one takes a rocket scientist. The instructions that come with both are very simple and very clear.
I have 1/2 acre lawn that I would like to keep free of clippings and another 4 acres that I don't mind leaving the clippings. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to remove the mulch kit when I cut the large (and often longer and thicker) areas? Or is the kit pretty much install and leave installed?

I like the idea of the mulch kit for the more formal area but if it is going to be a pain to swap out I may opt for a material collection system.

Edit: After a bit more poking around I found a set of posts by RetiredDoc indicating he uses his mulching kit for all his pasture mowing so I am going to order one and will post back here when I've had a bit of mowing with it. I have some bumpy areas that are hard on the blades so I will need to learn to raise the deck when going over them. Or figure out a way to add anti-scalp rollers to the deck like my 50" deck on my previous (JD318) tractor had.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,612 Posts
I have 1/3 acre lawn that I would like to keep free of clippings and another 4 acres that I don't mind leaving the clippings. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to remove the mulch kit when I cut the large (and often longer and thicker) areas? Or is the kit pretty much install and leave installed?

I like the idea of the mulch kit for the more formal area but if it is going to be a pain to swap out I may opt for a material collection system.

Thanks!
On the 54d the mulch kit is a molded plastic that requires removing the blades to do so. It wouldn't be a huge project, but certainly not something I would want to switch back and forth. On the 60d it's just bands of steel that basically go around the blades, it's just 3 bolts and remove the deflector shoot. Again, not something I would routinely want to swap back and forth but definitely a little easier than the 54d.

Reactions: Thombert and kylew

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
On the 54d the mulch kit is a molded plastic that requires removing the blades to do so. It wouldn't be a huge project, but certainly not something I would want to switch back and forth. On the 60d it's just bands of steel that basically go around the blades, it's just 3 bolts and remove the deflector shoot. Again, not something I would routinely want to swap back and forth but definitely a little easier than the 54d.
Don’t forget about the blades needing to be swapped. I suppose one could leave the standard side discharge blades on with the mulch baffles but the mulch blades would make the mulch kit work as intended.

I’ve got mulch kit on my 60” deck. As stated two metal baffles, three bolts. Just don’t horse down too much on the nuts when tightening. The bolts seem a bit soft and can break off. Found that out two years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installed the 60" mulch kit on my 1025R, it might have been the easiest installation of a John Deere accessory I've ever experienced. It literately took me under 15 minutes including the new blades.

Now after mowing with it for the first time, I have to admit that I'm kicking myself in the A$$ for not getting this mulch kit earlier. I was mowing grass that would have left clumps and clumps after being discharged from the side chute. However with the mulch kit.....barely nothing!

Mark :bigthumb:

Reactions: kylew and PJR832

·
Super Moderator
2,434 Posts
Installed the 60" mulch kit on my 1025R, it might have been the easiest installation of a John Deere accessory I've ever experienced. It literately took me under 15 minutes including the new blades.

Now after mowing with it for the first time, I have to admit that I'm kicking myself in the A$$ for not getting this mulch kit earlier. I was mowing grass that would have left clumps and clumps after being discharged from the side chute. However with the mulch kit.....barely nothing!

Mark :bigthumb:
What part number was it?

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
196 Posts
I believe I got the BM23978 for my 2018 1025r with 60" MMM.

Reactions: PJR832 and kylew

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is correct, the part number for my 2016 1025R 60" mower deck was BM23978. One of the best things I've added to my tractor.

Mark

:clapping:

Reactions: PJR832 and kylew

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not necessarily

I discovered that there is no need to remove the blades when installing the kit on the 54" deck. It's easy to do even with the blades in place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As promised: mini review of installation and use of BM23978 Mulch Kit for 60D MMM

Hi all,
I promised I would say more about the BM23978 Mulch Kit once I got it installed. I will post some pix of the installation and results.
The most important things, as stated by others previously, are (1) Installation is easy. The hardest part was cleaning the built up clippings from the deck, and (2) It works very very well. I am impressed. My wife is impressed. Wow. Just do it!

And to top it off, the deck was extremely clean after seven hours of mowing 4.5 acres of lawn and meadows, and the fuel usage was the same or better than without the kit.

The dealer charges around $250, the normal price as well from Green Parts -- I used a coupon, TTWT, and got free shipping and hit a $211 sale, so I lucked out. No tax, no shipping, and saved about $40. A rare win for me :)

Some fine points:
  • The manual lists several kit part numbers but does not list the 1025R. No worries.
  • The manual does not say the spring actuated chute flap needs to be removed (The hole used to "keep" the spring is needed to install the kit)
  • The deck has to be pretty clean to insure the two deflectors attach solidly to the deck.
  • The "left" and "right" deflector designations are looking at the top of the deck as it faces forward.
  • If you have lots of clippings already on the lawn, it will take several passes for them to disappear the first time you use the kit.
I had the deck on a Deck Dolly to do the installation. I love my Deck Dolly, just wish I had ordered it with the longer handles.

OK. The photos show:
  1. The cover of the manual.
  2. The chute cover built into the "right" deflector.
  3. Close-up of "right" deflector installation.
  4. Close-up of "left" deflector installation.
  5. Installation of entire kit including new blades.
  6. View of swath being mowed. Grass on left has been cut to 4", grass on right is 7" - 9" tall and full of dried clippings from previous mowings.
  7. View of result.
  8. View after taking another pass over same area to get rid of past thatch clumps.
  9. View of deck after seven hours of use - no clean up required!!!
Hoping someone finds this useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
As promised: mini review of installation and use of BM23978 Mulch Kit for 60D MMM

Hi all,
I promised I would say more about the BM23978 Mulch Kit once I got it installed. I will post some pix of the installation and results.
The most important things, as stated by others previously, are (1) Installation is easy. The hardest part was cleaning the built up clippings from the deck, and (2) It works very very well. I am impressed. My wife is impressed. Wow. Just do it!

And to top it off, the deck was extremely clean after seven hours of mowing 4.5 acres of lawn and meadows, and the fuel usage was the same or better than without the kit.

The dealer charges around $250, the normal price as well from Green Parts -- I used a coupon, TTWT, and got free shipping and hit a $211 sale, so I lucked out. No tax, no shipping, and saved about $40. A rare win for me :)

Some fine points:
  • The manual lists several kit part numbers but does not list the 1025R. No worries.
  • The manual does not say the spring actuated chute flap needs to be removed (The hole used to "keep" the spring is needed to install the kit)
  • The deck has to be pretty clean to insure the two deflectors attach solidly to the deck.
  • The "left" and "right" deflector designations are looking at the top of the deck as it faces forward.
  • If you have lots of clippings already on the lawn, it will take several passes for them to disappear the first time you use the kit.
I had the deck on a Deck Dolly to do the installation. I love my Deck Dolly, just wish I had ordered it with the longer handles.

OK. The photos show:
  1. The cover of the manual.
  2. The chute cover built into the "right" deflector.
  3. Close-up of "right" deflector installation.
  4. Close-up of "left" deflector installation.
  5. Installation of entire kit including new blades.
  6. View of swath being mowed. Grass on left has been cut to 4", grass on right is 7" - 9" tall and full of dried clippings from previous mowings.
  7. View of result.
  8. View after taking another pass over same area to get rid of past thatch clumps.
  9. View of deck after seven hours of use - no clean up required!!!
Hoping someone finds this useful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial. I am going to install the kit today. 28 deg. in De Soto Wisc aka Cheesehead Land. Steve Kozerowitz

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Strapped and lifted MMM w FEL. I put the mulch kit and mulch blades on my 2016 w/54” deck. Old blades off followed by thorough cleaning. Removed the chute cover. Fitted the plastic mulch shrouds loosely hand tight. installed the mulch blades. Turned the mulch blades to confirm there was no blade contact or too close. Lightly snuggled up attaching hardware and seated shrouds so they sat proper. Used a chisel to hold flat oval washer in oval shroutnut and bolt rcesses(avoided puncturing shroud nut/bolt recess. Tighned everything up.

mulch kit works great. Other than storm debris, don’t rake much any more. its go and mow than relax. Leaves gone no windrows, pine cones and branches gone.

Reactions: kylew
1 - 16 of 16 Posts