Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tiny pond that silts in by a "usually" dry creek. I need to use all of the bh reach, but only need to go down about 24". I'll be the first to admit, I am probably overthinking this.

The bank on one side is 3-4' above the water and sloped sharply- pretty much inaccessible.

The bank on the other side is sloped, but accessible. The tractor will be at a few degrees unlevel. I have two "islands" that need to be removed. I can reach island2 from the island1 and I can reach reach island1 from the bank.

My half baked horrible plan is to use some diamond plate sheet as a mat and drive off the bank onto the island using the mat. Work the first island into a yard trailer and then back my way out. I know this ends up with me trying to sink the tractor up to the frame rails and getting everything muddy, but any advice is appreciated. Also, any advice for not "pulling" the tractor in with the bh is appreciated, I've found it moves more than expected even when the backwheels are off the ground.

another shot of the same area from futher back.

Registered
Just in case of emergency. Tie your tractor to a tow rope or wench and cable so you dont lose it. 馃馃徎
Good luck.

Registered
The technique I use to avoid dragging the tractor around is to make sure you don't lift the weight off of the stabilizers. I've run a few different tractor mounted backhoes and all the backhoes are powerful enough the drag the machine around.

Most of the time I see the tractor getting dragged is while curling the bucket. If you lift the boom at the same time to keep the weight on your stabilizers, you'll drag it less. You don't gain any digging force by lifting the tractor, so try to be aware of not lifting it up.

Registered
Back straight up to island 1 and pull it towards the bank but don't remove the dirt..keep pulling it back until you have a nice level platform (may need to let it sit and dry for a week or so)..use the platform to remove island 2 then once that's done remove the island 1 platform you made.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back straight up to island 1 and pull it towards the bank but don't remove the dirt..keep pulling it back until you have a nice level platform (may need to let it sit and dry for a week or so)..use the platform to remove island 2 then once that's done remove the island 1 platform you made.
You know, that's not a bad idea, time is on my side... it's not as dramatic as most of my endeavours :) but it sure sounds like a good plan.

I'll probably tie it off too, just in case - thanks all!

Registered
If you have enough reach you can back down between the two islands till your stabilizers almost touch the water. Then use your hoe to pull the dirt from both far sides of the islands and build yourself a pier out to reach the far ends of the islands. Once you get all the dirt in the pier, you start pulling the pier to the bank.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have enough reach you can back down between the two islands till your stabilizers almost touch the water. Then use your hoe to pull the dirt from both far sides of the islands and build yourself a pier out to reach the far ends of the islands. Once you get all the dirt in the pier, you start pulling the pier to the bank.
Yes, this idea is growing on me - pull some out let it dry, work off that - then back my way out. I will let you know how it goes, now it's just finding the time in the day.

Thanks all!

Premium Member
The pull it in, let it dry, go out further for more works.

It just takes 6 months to a year for the new ground to dry.

In my 4th year of doing it.

Reactions: MattL

Premium Member
Just in case of emergency. Tie your tractor to a tow rope or wench and cable so you dont lose it. 馃馃徎
Good luck.
This was my first thought as well, be sure to anchor the tractor to something solid, ideally with an ability to pull (winch, come-along, etc. ) before digging out the ground/silt that may be supporting the ground your tractors rear is on. If something secure isn't an option, FEL forks stabbed in the solid?!? ground might come in handy if the plan goes to poop, but if a recovery is needed, they will likely be a hindrance to that.

Registered
If you think a area is questionable, put your backhoe bucket on it, apply some down force and see if it sinks or the rear of your tractor lifts up. If the bucket sinks, so will your tractor, If the rear of your tractor raises up, the dirt will support your tractor.

Registered
Forks are good for anchoring lol. Got any rail ties around? Make a pad from some of those and take smaller bites to keep from dragging the tractor around. If you get the stick about about 90 degrees to the ground and then curl the bucket you will be pulling down more than pulling to the machine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pull it in, let it dry, go out further for more works.

It just takes 6 months to a year for the new ground to dry.

In my 4th year of doing it.
Well I'm far too impatient for that :)

If I can find a way to move the diamond plate ramp (old barn ramp by the looks of it) that weighs a few hundred pounds out to island 1, I will get some pictures of the disaster in progress.

Registered
Would renting a mini excavator be out of the question? Using your own equipment is definitely half the fun and why you bought it in the first place. But the right tool for the job might be a better solution. The extra reach and full swing would be a night and day difference.

Registered
Good luck.
Interesting choice of equipment. Not sure how successful that would be, could involve a lot of complaining and possibly a few nights in the doghouse.

Reactions: rtgt and tj1
1 - 16 of 16 Posts