Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Just wondering things while waiting for my 1025R to arrive at the end of June. I was wondering if you have any uses for used hydraulic oil? Other than sending it to the recycling centre. When I do my oil change on my car, I keep the old oil. You mix it 50/50 with diesel fuel then you heat a bit of the mix in order to melt some paraffin. About 1 bar of paraffin per gallon of the mix. This will give you one of the best wood preservative, old school style, to put on fence posts or any sort of wood that is in contact with the ground. And cheap too, compare to $30+ per gallon for that green wood preservative.

I could not find much info about used hydraulic oil. I was thinking of using it to rust proof my car, but it appears this oil attract water....

Any input?

·
Premium Member
10,362 Posts
I refill the container and take it to Dad’s when the old backhoe blows a line 5 gallon doesn’t even begin to refill what gets blown out before you can shut it off. Otherwise there must be people that heat with used oil up there that would love to have it.

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
I refill the container and take it to Dad’s when the old backhoe blows a line 5 gallon doesn’t even begin to refill what gets blown out before you can shut it off. Otherwise there must be people that heat with used oil up there that would love to have it.
Tran fluid, hyd oil and gear lube are not oil burning furnace friendly.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
It's a pretty decent rust preventative/lubricant. We use some in an oil squirt can for things like gate hinges, chain lube in dusty conditions (hay baler) and have run it mixed with oil in chainsaw bar lube for colder weather. CUT/SCUT quantities can be used up but when we were running a combine that had something like 25 gallons at a change. That took a while to use. We kept a pail and painted things like disc blades, plow moldboards etc. to keep the rust down.

Treefarmer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.