Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this close to the road on my driveway. I don't think it's off anything I own, but thought I'd take a break from the snowless winter boredom and talk about something...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that killed about 20 minutes... :)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Somebody will miss that if they are in a situation where they have to cage brakes in a pinch.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Ahh, the old brake cager thingy. When I see a thread like this it makes me remember how little I really know because I don’t know what you guys are talking about. I’m guessing from the answers it holds air brakes off?

Operating.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ahh, the old brake cager thingy. When I see a thread like this it makes me remember how little I really know because I don’t know what you guys are talking about. I’m guessing from the answers it holds air brakes off?
This actually killed more than 20 minutes. After reading X758's post I had to goggle caging bolt and brake chamber so you aren't alone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My apologies for not explaining a little better. Where I live we never left those in the little storage spot on the brake chamber. The salt and other great chemicals they use to make the roads safe for the average idiot in their all wheel drive suv will make the steel and aluminum parts form an inseparable bond. Basically that’s the tool used to contain the rather large spring that is the parking brake on a air brake system. It allows you to disassemble and replace the diaphragm inside the chamber and also makes it easier to remove and install a complete chamber. That’s the short version of a long story on air brakes. I’m sure there are others here that can explain it much better than me. I only worked on trucks for 10 years and that was 15 years ago and I have thankfully forgot much of what I knew

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
When you see a truck wreck and the driver is like I don’t know what happened I must of run out air and couldn’t stop, please call BS. Air holds the breaks off, if you loose air it will lock up, Hence long black skid marks slowly being dragged off the road. Common occurrence is an air bag leak/ failure. It is simple to cap the airline to that bad brake but it is locked on. You cage it by turning the nut down on that bolt until the brake releases. Then you drive carefully, your missing a brake, to a nearest place to get repaired.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We could get pretty in depth about air brake systems and how they function. Probably wouldn’t be interesting to most but would probably educate others. If I remember correctly the parking brake system that is operated by the springs this tool is designed to contain will automatically apply when the system air pressure drops to 30 psi. I’m sure there are you tube videos for those with curious minds. ABS and air disc brakes were still pretty new when I was working in that field.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Thanks flyweight, I just learned something. (y)
I didn't watch Flyweight's video, but I appreciate him posting it!! <<Thumbs up!>> I also appreciate MeagerHair's explanation that was simple enough that a dummy like me could figure it out. <<Thumbs up!>> And, I can't forget X758 either!! <<Thumbs up!>>

I haven't even been on the board for 5 minutes this morning and I already learned something! I am ALWAYS amazed at how much collective knowledge is available here!

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
It would have been a real mystery had the bolt been in Danw's driveway.......unless he has had a big truck or other air brake vehicle there lately......

You know, there have been many people who have posted photos of various things asking what they are and I can't recall there ever being one which stumped the GTT crowd......Maybe we should make that a thread with the specific goal to post something which remains unidentified......

It's been awhile since anyone posted a photo of either the cradle bracket or the parts / pieces of the strap on the 1 series air cleaner system which bolts to the top of the engine, asking what it is after they found it on the ground. There for awhile, there was at least one a month being posted.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I didn't watch Flyweight's video, but I appreciate him posting it!! <<Thumbs up!>> I also appreciate MeagerHair's explanation that was simple enough that a dummy like me could figure it out. <<Thumbs up!>> And, I can't forget X758 either!! <<Thumbs up!>>

I haven't even been on the board for 5 minutes this morning and I already learned something! I am ALWAYS amazed at how much collective knowledge is available here!
Mark,

I am surprised you haven't headed down to the National Farm Show in Louisville, KY to be part of the GTT reunion, as that's just a nice ride from your place, what maybe 2 hours or so?

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
When you see a truck wreck and the driver is like I don’t know what happened I must of run out air and couldn’t stop, please call BS. Air holds the breaks off, if you loose air it will lock up, Hence long black skid marks slowly being dragged off the road. Common occurrence is an air bag leak/ failure. It is simple to cap the airline to that bad brake but it is locked on. You cage it by turning the nut down on that bolt until the brake releases. Then you drive carefully, your missing a brake, to a nearest place to get repaired.
You just reminded me of my days at the sand pit, loading RR cars with wet sand. The train would set the empty cars in on the siding, and set all the brakes. They were air brakes, so we would have to uncouple the hoses (If they didn't do it for us), and let the air out of the tank to release the brakes. Believe me, it's impossible to jack the car down the track without it!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It would have been a real mystery had the bolt been in Danw's driveway.......unless he has had a big truck or other air brake vehicle there lately......
No air brake vehicles in my driveway that I know of recently. But I live on one of those back roads that is a prime shortcut between 2 towns and get a fair amount of truck traffic. I guess I'm just lucky and stuff falls off vehicles as they're passing my driveway. Found a muffler once.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Mark,

I am surprised you haven't headed down to the National Farm Show in Louisville, KY to be part of the GTT reunion, as that's just a nice ride from your place, what maybe 2 hours or so?
I wanted to go, but just too much "income producing work" to finish right now. It's about 3 hours each way, door-to-door, for me taking into account traffic, waiting to park at the expo center, etc. I've gone twice before and it's really cool! I don't know if you saw the pic of last night's gathering at the cheeseburger place but it looked like there were approximately 40 people in attendance. WOW!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I love learning interesting tidbits like this. I may never have a use for this particular bit but the new to me idea sometimes sparks a new association somewhere else, and something new and useful can happen.

The knowledge base on this site is impressive. Toss in the willingness to share openly and clearly and the folks on this site are memorable at the least and certainly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
them brake things are really dangerous if u try and un bolt them. that spring inside is strong-can kill ya in a minute. my cousin yrs ago wanted to unbolt one. he stuck it inside a steel 55 gallon drum, when the last 2 nuts left go-the force stripped the threads off, and then put a heck of a big dent in the side of the barrel, plus it sounded like a train that wrecked. boy was it noisy.

i've changed the pancakes in em, before--but for a couple of yrs it was cheaper to just replace the whole assembly

back when i had my truck a ole corn binder--there was a air valve somewhere that if it got down to 60 psi--then all ur maxis would come on automatically. that was one thing all the creeper cops wanted to see work. i can't remember the name of that valve----anybody know the name????

or maybe i got it backwards-been many yrs now since then. and i enjoy learning off of hear too. sure wish all these things was around back in the early 90's when i bought my fffirst and only truck. would of been nice to have all this knowledge at a blink of a eye.lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts