Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have been given a bottle of vodka, a stereo, more tomatoes and eggplants than I know what to do with, all for doing odd jobs to help out. Is anybody using these to make some coin?

·
Registered
935 Posts
So far I have been given a bottle of vodka, a stereo, more tomatoes and eggplants than I know what to do with, all for doing odd jobs to help out. Is anybody using these to make some coin?
I run adds on Craigslist for supplemental cash. I actually do very well. I fill the void between the landscapers and the larger custom farmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
I have 2 neighbors that have already asked me to plow snow for them this winter. That wasn't an intent when I bought it but if I can cover a few payments a year and get out of the house for a bit during the winter at the same time I'm up for it. I may have 2 more asking fairly soon too.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I do a little of everything. Dirt work, tilling yards and gardens, mowing, driveway grading, and shredding overgrown weeds and what not. Pretty much general small tractor work, just whatever they need done.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I have as well moving mulch, splitting wood, small stuff, not a lot of $$ but it helps

·
Registered
338 Posts
All of my side work I do pays for my tractor. I mow lawns with it, brush hog, loader work, aerate lawns with it for work, and more. I really like the tractor and seems the perfect size for all of these things.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do You Need Friends...???

Do you need friends...buy a pick-up truck! Need still more friends...buy a trailer for that pick-up truck!! If those aren't enough friends...buy a 1025R!!!

I personally never had any intention to make money with my 1025R. But it has had unintended benefits via doing favors and volunteer efforts. It was a bear of a winter last year here in NE PA. So helped neighbor plow driveway. Did some minor FEL work clearing a culvert and pulling out dead shrubs. Hauled on trailer and spread roughly 30 yards of mulch for a local organization that works with mentally challenged folks...a volunteer effort. Mowed a 5 acre field several times. And the latest and currently on-going, dug ten holes (42" deep) for concrete piers, excavated for concrete pad and graded all for a 60 foot handicap ramp for an (very nice) elderly man...again a volunteer effort for Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP).

So far...a bottle of Jim Beam, a $50 gift card to a local restaurant, a $25 Home Depot gift card, and hunting privileges to some prime property. Certainly not expected, but nice gestures in appreciation.:usa

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
517 Posts
I had a 28 x 26 shop built back in 2009.. The contractor used a 2305 with a backhoe and loader to excavate for the entire foundation.. After all of the digging, he used it to bring in all of the gravel before the concrete was poured.. I was stunned at what the guy did with a machine that size in the short amt of time it took.. Granted he was a very experienced operator.. Thats why I bought the 1023.. After seeing what the 2305 could do, I knew there was no way I needed anything bigger.. Based on the cost breakdown of the shop, I figure that guy made about $4000 for two days of seat time on his 2305..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Been thinking about this for a while. I got a permanent layoff 2 weeks ago...coal business sucks! Being almost 60, I've been giving serious thought to maybe trying early "retirement", using my tractor/dump trailer to provide some extra $$ s.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Based on the cost breakdown of the shop, I figure that guy made about $4000 for two days of seat time on his 2305..

Dang, that is some awfully good ROI.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Graded the intersection down the road for a neighbor and got a case of Coors Light out of it. It was tasty.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,053 Posts
One should not over look the fact that every time we do something around our property, I'm not spending large amounts of money on contractors or rental fees. In my book it's the same as making money.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Graded the intersection down the road for a neighbor and got a case of Coors Light out of it. It was tasty.
My neighbor always pays me in beer and supper. It's nice. The funny thing is that he has a Kubota but he's not a good operator so he just has me come and do the work for him. He leaves his Kubota for arena maintenance. In fact I'm headed over later today to shred down some weeds for him. We'll probably shoot some doves after I'm done.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If I put up a sign like that, it would read....

"Will till for home baked goods"

Good luck.... :lol:
Funny you should say that! The neighbor I mow the field for, she makes home baked apple pies from the apple trees between our houses. I am really hoping one of those delectable treats shows up at my front door some day...and this is the season!!:dunno::good2:

·
Premium Member
14,102 Posts
I've gotten anything from a couple hundred dollars, to many gift cards for all different amounts, baked goods,canned goods, many packs of frozen steaks, frozen packs of hamburg from a local farmer , & THANKS. At times the last one means the most .

·
Premium Member
14,102 Posts
Been thinking about this for a while. I got a permanent layoff 2 weeks ago...coal business sucks! Being almost 60, I've been giving serious thought to maybe trying early "retirement", using my tractor/dump trailer to provide some extra $$ s.
WOW hate to hear that,,, coal business is down all over the area. Hoping weather holds wanting to come your way this weekend to New Centerville.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts