Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a new implement and I can save a hundred bucks on shipping if I pick it up at the shipper's depot about 35 miles away. I have a topper on the back of my pickup that may need to come off for the new implement to fit.

I'm wondering if anybody uses the forks on their tractor to remove and install their truck topper. My topper is 6 feet long and about 200 lbs. My forks are 36 inches. I'll have to remove the topper's window at the back (which is designed to be easy to do). But with the window and structure at the front of the topper, it's center of gravity is going to be past the end of my forks. To keep it from falling off, I'm thinking of buying a 2 foot trailer hitch extension and putting in it the trailer receiver on the fork frame. (It as well as the forks will have to be padded to prevent scratching.) So I'll sandwich the topper between the forks and the bar protruding from the trailer hitch. What could go wrong?

I'd appreciate your wisdom regarding the approach I proposed and especially any other ideas you may have. I've wanted to take the topper off many times to get landscaping materials. I'm hoping there's a simple and safe way to do it.

Reactions: HomesteadJoe

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
X2 on Pallet Forks Extensions.

Doug

Reactions: OxPath and keane

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have an 8 foot cap, with the 4 ft forks, I put a piece of wood inside between the forks and cap, also tie off a rope to the front of the cap and run it back to the tractor, also park the truck on an up hill slope, it comes off just fine, but mine is still front end heavy, so I just pick it up, drive the truck away(quickly), then lower the cap down where the tractor sits, also works for putting it back on but a little more interesting.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Not a topper but I have a 6X10 plywood box that is 42" tall that I put on my dump trailer for sucking leaves and I strap an 8' 4x4 to each fork and take it easy. Works great.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Topper Shelter

I built an 8'x8' shelter for my topper. I left the sides open. Using pulleys mounted to a beam in the rafters, I attached a rope that hooks to small tow straps and the straps connect to these flat hooks I bought from Amazon. What once was a killer job for me and my wife can now be done by me alone. I can back under the shelter, attach the hooks to the bottom corners of the fiberglass topper, pull the rope that's attached to the pulleys, and I'm clear of the truck. Tie the rope off and pull away. Installation is just the reverse of this.

I bought the 1025R after I built the shelter. Winter happened and I needed to get the tractor under cover, so I'm parking it under the shelter until I get my garage addition built. You can see in the pic below that I covered the sides/rear of the shelter with sunshade cloth to keep the snow from blowing it. I'll probably end up with a boom for the JD and can see that these hooks could still be used with the boom.

First time attaching pics- not sure if this is going to work. I originally tried doing an 'image upload' from my computer but got a 'null' error...

Message - Green Tractor Talk Photo Gallery

·
Premium Member
14,921 Posts
When I had my truck with caps I've slid the cap to the back of the truck with me inside , and then carried the cap over to some saw horses.

I've also lifted the cap, slid some 3/8 rope between cap and bed rail. then connected them to pulley system I had in the garage. Lift it up and a few inches pull out from under the cap and away you go. I always had the truck backed up a foot or two further in the garage so I wouldn't hit the cap backing in the garage.

One or two of the caps had ladder racks, so just connect the ropes from the pulleys system and lift away

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
A six pack, and a couple buddies.
problem solved.
That becomes a problem as you get older. I'm still in good health and have no physical impairments, but I can't lift what I could in my younger days. I have two double place jet ski lifts, with canopies, that I need help setting and removing from the lake each year. In my younger days, myself and a neighbor would do them. He moved away. (I always wondered if I had something to do with that.) All my other "buddies" my age seem to have back, knee or other issues that limit them to 20 pounds. There children worked for awhile, but they moved away. (Again, I wonder if I had something to do with that.) Even at that, it takes three of them to do the job and me. Trying to coordinate schedules is challenging, at best.

I need to figure out someway to make my tractor float.....

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I'm going to buy a new implement and I can save a hundred bucks on shipping if I pick it up at the shipper's depot about 35 miles away. I have a topper on the back of my pickup that may need to come off for the new implement to fit.

I'm wondering if anybody uses the forks on their tractor to remove and install their truck topper. My topper is 6 feet long and about 200 lbs. My forks are 36 inches. I'll have to remove the topper's window at the back (which is designed to be easy to do). But with the window and structure at the front of the topper, it's center of gravity is going to be past the end of my forks. To keep it from falling off, I'm thinking of buying a 2 foot trailer hitch extension and putting in it the trailer receiver on the fork frame. (It as well as the forks will have to be padded to prevent scratching.) So I'll sandwich the topper between the forks and the bar protruding from the trailer hitch. What could go wrong?

I'd appreciate your wisdom regarding the approach I proposed and especially any other ideas you may have. I've wanted to take the topper off many times to get landscaping materials. I'm hoping there's a simple and safe way to do it.
I screwed 4 eye bolts into the ceiling joists in my garage and used ratchet straps to lift the fiberglass tops from the various Broncos I owned many years ago. This worked extremely well for both removal and installation. I would do it the same way today if I still had one of those Broncos.... Sorry I did not photograph this 20ish years ago..... but I did find some amazingly similar photos on the internet... https://www.google.com/search?q=removing+top+from+Bronco+with+ratchet+straps&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=h74wziL8pxAznM%3A%2CFcQWX-RoKHXOhM%2C_&usg=__hXAbIZwcwNK6EF4zGOniGTphcKM=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih7rqh8u7ZAhUk_IMKHSREB9AQ9QEINjAC#imgrc=Tfm-ch_p7bsA2M:&spf=1521136298498

Sincerely

Bronco Roof Off.jpg

Reactions: keane and BigJim55
1 - 12 of 12 Posts