Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather turning colder and wetter I have found myself wanting a hardtop canopy to keep some of the rain off. I was think something like in this pic. Anyone build their own?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have never built my own...but the one that came on the Electric Gator had some good features.

E_Gator_profile_with_bed_lifted.jpg

It was as wide as the whole vehicle, so it offered pretty good rain protection without having to fuss with doors (yes it does rain a bit here in Oregon...) It had running board extensions so your feet always stayed in the gator -- even with two generous sized passengers. The windshield was GLASS so it was easy to clean off tree sap and other contaminants that cause scratching on a plastic windscreen.

Because we had lots of paths through our woods that had lots of foliage to brush aside when we drove through, i installed a multi-panel rear view mirror that was mounted along the underside of the cab. Nothing to snare on the limbs...
multi-view_mirror_in_cab.jpg

These ideas would be good for any cab/cap -- commercial or shop made.

Chuck

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kinda like that extra width. Thanks for the pics, Chuck.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Mine had one similar to your first picture when I bought it: HPIM2872.JPG

I didn't like the way the rear frame was installed, so I built my own, making it a lot sturdier: HPIM2903.JPG

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine had one similar to your first picture when I bought it:

I didn't like the way the rear frame was installed, so I built my own, making it a lot sturdier:

What size tubing did you use?

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Mine had one similar to your first picture when I bought it:

I didn't like the way the rear frame was installed, so I built my own, making it a lot sturdier:

What size tubing did you use?
1-1/2" if I remember right, for the top, I just cut the curve off the original frame & bolted it to the tubing.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking around the farm for material to build a canopy and got to looking at a beat up freebie truck canopy that we got years ago. It's fiberglass and looks like it could be easily cut down to use on the Gator. I have some square tubing but may need to get some more. Not sure what to do for a windshield though I do like the one's that the top half fold down.

·
Premium Member
13,941 Posts
I was looking around the farm for material to build a canopy and got to looking at a beat up freebie truck canopy that we got years ago. It's fiberglass and looks like it could be easily cut down to use on the Gator. I have some square tubing but may need to get some more. Not sure what to do for a windshield though I do like the one's that the top half fold down.
If nothing else plexiglass , drill a few hole put rubber washer under and fasten it to the metal frame. It would keep the wind off you :dunno:

or after you know the size needed go to a junk yard and see if they have a glass about the size needed , :dunno:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If nothing else plexiglass , drill a few hole put rubber washer under and fasten it to the metal frame. It would keep the wind off you :dunno:

or after you know the size needed go to a junk yard and see if they have a glass about the size needed , :dunno:
Might try that route. It can always be changed down the road.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I agree with Gene. Plexiglass is cheap and good. It's not so scratch-resistant like other materials but it will be the right for the GATOR (I've used it for a sunprotection). Let the fixing holes drill in the market where you'll buy the windshield.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,668 Posts
With the weather turning colder and wetter I have found myself wanting a hardtop canopy to keep some of the rain off. I was think something like in this pic. Anyone build their own?
Have you given a soft top any thought?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Used golf cart parts are not all that expensive due to the large number of carts salvaged from golf courses as they convert from gas to electric models and/or replace old hard to maintain equipment with newer stuff. Most of these had canopies, and the two passenger ones are nearly square -- might be possible to mount it sideways to gain a bit more width from the typical cart width of just under 4 feet

My own cart is a 4 passenger one so its canopy is much longer and probably not suited to your Gator uses...Champagne is always optional with golf carts. :lol:

cart tour - champagne brunch.jpg

cart tour 2.JPG

Used canopies are running about $100 on eBay quite regularly...
https://www.ebay.com/i/302236195270?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

Chuck

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some pics of the pickup canopy. It measures about 59" in width at the top corners. If I had to narrow it I don't think it would be to difficult.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
Here are some pics of the pickup canopy. It measures about 59" in width at the top corners. If I had to narrow it I don't think it would be to difficult.
why not use the back side of the cap for ur window? like then u could just flop it right up onto the roof in the summertime. u got the hinges already there and everything holding the back glass in.:dunno: just a thought!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
why not use the back side of the cap for ur window? like then u could just flop it right up onto the roof in the summertime. u got the hinges already there and everything holding the back glass in.:dunno: just a thought!
Never thought about that. Only problem is the back glass is missing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts