Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing used loaders on CL for three thousand dollars for sub compact tractors. John Deere models with the " Made in Mexico " labels sell on the name more than the quality. While looking at the small thin tube structure I can't help but imagine how engineered it is to be light yet resilient to with stand abuse in rock , stump, or similar solid encounters. Needless to say I stretched my lawn & garden budget to buy the new 4110 in 04. The dealer promised to find a used 60 MMM at a reasonable value which never happened. The purchase of a demo take off at slightly less retail I knew if I wanted a loader and leaf vacuum I would be in the fabricating business. Wisconsin has some long cold winters. Collecting parts , pieces, steel left overs I started by fashioning a mounting for the frame. Fortunately there is a heavy frame rail with mounting holes in place. Keeping in mind the mount fixture placement and height I designed the loader arms to be close to the front wheels for lifting capacity and segmented to gain total height . I purchased four rams close to the desired proportion for each function. A half sheet of 1/8" steel was cut and formed for the bucket. A farm supply store provided hoses at low cost while I flared and bent tubing for the remainder area. The project total cost was in the nine hundred dollar range. The project was fun, challenging, entertaining, and cost effective. Forks were also added. DocImage000000223.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,788 Posts
Hats off to ya buddy! That is one sweet looking fab job. Not that the JD loaders are junk but I'll bet yours would hold it's own against them. One area that the JD loaders ARE lacking is poor quality hydraulic cylinders. More than one person has had the little threaded nipples break off where the hose attaches.

Have you had a chance to measure the leak down rate? I have a feeling it's less than what the JD loaders exhibit.

Reactions: JD4044M and Robnik

·
Super Moderator
5,589 Posts
That is an unbelievable fabrication job for sure!:good2: Did you take measurements from a JD loader?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That’s awesome. Good Job

·
Registered
698 Posts
Impressive. Wish I could weld and fabricate like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Old Pa-pa
11,844 Posts
Awesome!! :good2:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Very nice! I too wish I had your talent.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is an unbelievable fabrication job for sure!:good2: Did you take measurements from a JD loader?
Really pretty basic. After making the side mounts just some cardboard to determine the shape. Simple after one has a starting point and several sheets of cardboard ! The Ellis bandsaw that cuts angles was a life saver. The cab had many angles also. With straight clean cuts welding requires little grinding / finishing. Surprising the 4110 has a good hydraulic flow pump. The loader reacts quickly. DocImage000000221 2.jpg

·
Registered
626 Posts
Really pretty basic. After making the side mounts just some cardboard to determine the shape. Simple after one has a starting point and several sheets of cardboard ! The Ellis bandsaw that cuts angles was a life saver. The cab had many angles also. With straight clean cuts welding requires little grinding / finishing. Surprising the 4110 has a good hydraulic flow pump. The loader reacts quickly. View attachment 668978
That is some serious lift height!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Here is what my "Made in Mexico" loader was able to pull out of the ground. I wouldn't dismiss them because at the end of the day JD does put their name on them and JD is a global corporation just like other equipment manufacturers. I had a poor leak down rate on my 2210, which was made in Japan, but my 3025 seems to be pretty solid which had the loader built in Mexico but the tractor was assembled in Georgia. I think JD either designs the leak down in for safety or they don't want to spend the money for higher quality cylinders.

Your loader looks really nice and it's hard to beat your cost in materials. Congrats on your project.

Are you going to power coat the loader or just paint it?

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Primed and painted green. John Deere like Snap On tools have great name in the industry. My point is they use their name for many applications for the almighty buck. John Deere doesn't make loaders, buckets, or forks. They simply send out specs to the lowest bidder and apply their name tag. Not only do they mark up these products at an unbelievable value they have buyers believing their heritage is on the line for quality. Yes I like their tractors with parts and service keeping their brand in the spot lite. I don't like paying for accessories I can build with simple tools that surpass their standards at less than half the cost. besides its a nice hobby. Loader forks were no cost with used square tubing pieces. A PTO vacuum for leaf pickup , thousands of dollars from Deere was made for less than two hundred. The fun part is developing a system to make it effective. Tripping to the local salvage yard finding pulleys of various sizes changing 540 pto to 3400 creating a vacuum / propeller speed to grind leaves. Amazed when it works, satisfaction in ones beliefs. A quality MIG welder and metal bandsaw have endless imagined outcomes. IMG_4527.JPG IMG_4523 2.JPG

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm seeing used loaders on CL for three thousand dollars for sub compact tractors. John Deere models with the " Made in Mexico " labels sell on the name more than the quality. While looking at the small thin tube structure I can't help but imagine how engineered it is to be light yet resilient to with stand abuse in rock , stump, or similar solid encounters. Needless to say I stretched my lawn & garden budget to buy the new 4110 in 04. The dealer promised to find a used 60 MMM at a reasonable value which never happened. The purchase of a demo take off at slightly less retail I knew if I wanted a loader and leaf vacuum I would be in the fabricating business. Wisconsin has some long cold winters. Collecting parts , pieces, steel left overs I started by fashioning a mounting for the frame. Fortunately there is a heavy frame rail with mounting holes in place. Keeping in mind the mount fixture placement and height I designed the loader arms to be close to the front wheels for lifting capacity and segmented to gain total height . I purchased four rams close to the desired proportion for each function. A half sheet of 1/8" steel was cut and formed for the bucket. A farm supply store provided hoses at low cost while I flared and bent tubing for the remainder area. The project total cost was in the nine hundred dollar range. The project was fun, challenging, entertaining, and cost effective. Forks were also added. View attachment 668840
That is a great job. I may have to get you to make me one for my 4100. I have searched for months for a used one with no luck, I did find a couple up north but at a new price and would still need shipping. I have been amazed at those looking for loaders for this size tractor. Makes one wonder what happens to those that came on these tractors then removed and sold. Looks like used ones would show up for sale.

·
Premium Member
12,788 Posts
Primed and painted green. Amazed when it works, satisfaction in ones beliefs. A quality MIG welder and metal bandsaw have endless imagined outcomes.
Very impressive!

Above you left out "In the hands of a skilled fabricator". :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the compliment. Nothing skilled about my fabrication efforts. Brought up on a farm where low budget equipment always needed repair. Sometimes thought , re engineering , and applying a second look as to why it failed brings change, hopefully for the better. Thought I would enjoy building my own house. Five houses later with varied designs I found a two story I felt was really over the top. Come sale time it was listed on Friday, showed on Saturday and sold. Apparently extra touches , crazy roof lines, and a three car garage was to someones liking. Now into metal art and have finished some not so everyday designs. Gave some away but never sold any. It would be a crime to take money for having a good time in retirement years. Don't get me started on early 60s Corvettes. An art form massed produced. A huge garage full and still looking for more. I believe it is a series of uncontrollable diseases. I need to buy a comfortable lawn chair, ..... and sit !!!

·
Premium Member
12,788 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. Nothing skilled about my fabrication efforts. Brought up on a farm where low budget equipment always needed repair. Sometimes thought , re engineering , and applying a second look as to why it failed brings change, hopefully for the better. Thought I would enjoy building my own house. Five houses later with varied designs I found a two story I felt was really over the top. Come sale time it was listed on Friday, showed on Saturday and sold. Apparently extra touches , crazy roof lines, and a three car garage was to someones liking. Now into metal art and have finished some not so everyday designs. Gave some away but never sold any. It would be a crime to take money for having a good time in retirement years. Don't get me started on early 60s Corvettes. An art form massed produced. A huge garage full and still looking for more. I believe it is a series of uncontrollable diseases. I need to buy a comfortable lawn chair, ..... and sit !!!
Give yourself credit. I know folks who own a nice welder, metal cutting saw and grinder who wouldn't know the first thing about how to fabricate an implement like a loader.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Could be done

A skilled person certainly could build a loader but I'm old enough to remember seeing early tractor loaders that either didn't work well or broke. They were also a beeetch to put on and off a tractor. Modern loaders are the result of many mistakes and corrections over the years plus improvement in hydraulics, metallurgy and fabrication.

Could a skilled person duplicate or improve on a factory made one? Yes, with enough thought, time and equipment. I think one difficulty is having the fabrication jigs to make sure things match side to side and are square so the tractor side and the loader side match. Another challenge is the forming of the lift arms that are typically tapered box channels welded together.

If you've got the time, skills, equipment and interest then go for it but please post pictures!

Treefarmer

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A skilled person certainly could build a loader but I'm old enough to remember seeing early tractor loaders that either didn't work well or broke. They were also a beeetch to put on and off a tractor. Modern loaders are the result of many mistakes and corrections over the years plus improvement in hydraulics, metallurgy and fabrication.

Could a skilled person duplicate or improve on a factory made one? Yes, with enough thought, time and equipment. I think one difficulty is having the fabrication jigs to make sure things match side to side and are square so the tractor side and the loader side match. Another challenge is the forming of the lift arms that are typically tapered box channels welded together.

If you've got the time, skills, equipment and interest then go for it but please post pictures!

Treefarmer
Two pictures on page 1. The object was to build a loader that performs well, not a work of art. I happen to have some box tubing, flat stock , and some one inch and a quarter pin material. To keep costs down I used material in stock. Surplus Store provided double acting rams for $69.00 each. Hoses from a local Fleet Farm store. A local iron shop cut and bent 1/8" sheet metal for the bucket. For less than a thousand dollars it was complete with paint. Torture tested it with cement, rocks, trees and digging in gravel. No signs of fatigue. Four pins on and off plus the hydraulic snap couplers. Yes there was planning , arching components to get the bucket close to the front tires while maintaining high lift.

Couple pictures of additional projects. A grapple, 12 x 8 dump trailer, and one of five houses I built. DSCN0747.JPG IMG_0057.JPG DocImage000000133.jpg

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Damn you are good!

Two pictures on page 1. The object was to build a loader that performs well, not a work of art. I happen to have some box tubing, flat stock , and some one inch and a quarter pin material. To keep costs down I used material in stock. Surplus Store provided double acting rams for $69.00 each. Hoses from a local Fleet Farm store. A local iron shop cut and bent 1/8" sheet metal for the bucket. For less than a thousand dollars it was complete with paint. Torture tested it with cement, rocks, trees and digging in gravel. No signs of fatigue. Four pins on and off plus the hydraulic snap couplers. Yes there was planning , arching components to get the bucket close to the front tires while maintaining high lift.

Couple pictures of additional projects. A grapple, 12 x 8 dump trailer, and one of five houses I built. View attachment 671772 View attachment 671774 View attachment 671776
Very, very nice. Not many people are that talented.

Treefarmer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts