Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

There are a lot of people on here who seems to come up with some really great ideas so I thought someone might have already come up with a way to help on mine. :unknown:

I have a 54" snowblower that works great and I love it but when I only have a few inches or inch or 2 of ice that is where I have my problem!

I have a back blade I put in to help but it takes time to take my ballast off and then put it on the rear and plow backwards. I don't want to have to take off the snowblower (okay im lazy).

Well I got to thinking why isn't there a blade you can hook up to the front of the blower for the small jobs? Anyone done something like this? I thought of using the 54 blade but I would still have to take the blower off and still have my pto on.

If there was a way to hook a blade of some type quick and easy wouldn't this help us all? Not for big jobs just the small ones that I know most irritate some others on here.

Maybe something like weight that can be attached to the front of the blower without damaging it just to push a little slush or snow. Might be a great little money maker for someone :gizmo:

Look forward to hearing your ideas and solutions. :munch::usa

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes something just like that for our 1023/5

It seems so simple but yet why cant I find something like that to use!:laugh:

I actually have a walk behind I retired when I got my 1025 so this might just work....hummmmm hummmmmm thanks! It sure would beat changing attachments or buying larger expensive fixes.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
I don't have a front blower so, are they that hard to take off? The whole idea of the quick hitch is supposed to be to make all of that pretty simple.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't have a front blower so, are they that hard to take off? The whole idea of the quick hitch is supposed to be to make all of that pretty simple.
Its not hard. Just time consuming and annoying to have to switch back to the FEL if you have one. I prep the day bfore if I know its gonna be a little storm with slushy mess. We also have had a crappy rainy winter so far here in CT and i havent even moved my blower from storage yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Change over Takes about 5 Minutes Disconnect Blower Chute angle Hoses, disconnect drive shaft(blower end) Pull quick hitch Pins set Blower down, Remove angle Locking Pin from quick Hitch & (in My case UN-zip zip-ties on angle cylinder Hoses) Connect angle cylinder Hose to Tractor. Pick Up Blade Plow snow :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
9,330 Posts
Depending upon the snow conditions, I have just plowed with my blower, using it like a snow pusher. After all, it's about the same width as the standard sized plow and the end panels on the blower make it function like a snow pusher.

I would install rubber edges on the snowblower where the shoes are and where the wear plate is if it won't clean well enough without it, when using it as a snow pusher.

Is it the ideal snow plow, well of course not, but it also requires no effort to simply push snow with it and not turn the blower on. Or, if the snow accumulates enough in front of the blower, you could turn it on to "clear it".

Just make sure if you are using your blower as a pusher and NOT turning it on you be careful the snow in the rear impeller area doesn't freeze up, which could happen if you store your machine in the outside or a unheated area. The best way to avoid this would be to operate the blower long enough to clear it of snow at the impeller stage of the machine and / or park it where it's heated so the snow melts out of the blower, which is what I have done with mine.

Reactions: Toughsox and rtgt

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Change over Takes about 5 Minutes Disconnect Blower Chute angle Hoses, disconnect drive shaft(blower end) Pull quick hitch Pins set Blower down, Remove angle Locking Pin from quick Hitch & (in My case UN-zip zip-ties on angle cylinder Hoses) Connect angle cylinder Hose to Tractor. Pick Up Blade Plow snow :bigthumb:
This makes me laugh at the OP becuase im just as lazy. I’d use my backhoe more if it wasn’t so time consuming to change out the 3pt to backhoe. I mean come on. I ain’t got 5 minutes :lolol:

Hey. I’m tryig to figure out how to install my bucket pins from the seat so I don’t have to get off the tractor when I change front implements with the “quick connect :lol:

If I didn’t work 7 days a week you would think I’m lazy :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
This makes me laugh at the OP becuase im just as lazy. I’d use my backhoe more if it wasn’t so time consuming to change out the 3pt to backhoe. I mean come on. I ain’t got 5 minutes :lolol:

Hey. I’m tryig to figure out how to install my bucket pins from the seat so I don’t have to get off the tractor when I change front implements with the “quick connect :lol:

Why do You think I have never gotten rid of My Garden tractors. I have the Blade On the 2025R with the Artillian adapter on the Loader and the 47inch Blower is On the X748 so I don't Have to Take 5minutes Or More to change them Over. Heck I have have a 3rd Tractor the GX335 set Up with a smaller 48inch Blade Just to Plow My sidewalks In the front of the House so I don't Have to Get either walk Behind to remove snow there I have a single & a Two Stage Ariens walk behind Blowers. Use the single Mostly for Clearing the Trex deck off Only Place I truly have to walk

BTW for the OP this is the Biggest Blower Mounted Blade I could Find Slush Plow (48) Snow Blower Plow Blade Attachment | I.M.A.C. Attachment SP 48 and here is there Main website Slush Plow | Snow Blower Accessories | Snow Blower Attachment for removing Slush and Sleet :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts

There's nothing wrong with being lazy. I kinda like being lazy! I mean, if you weren't lazy you'd be using a pick and shovel instead of that backhoe, right?

Reactions: rtgt and etcallhome

·
Premium Member
9,330 Posts
This makes me laugh at the OP because I'm just as lazy. I’d use my backhoe more if it wasn’t so time consuming to change out the 3pt to backhoe. I mean come on. I ain’t got 5 minutes :lolol:

Hey. I’m trying to figure out how to install my bucket pins from the seat so I don’t have to get off the tractor when I change front implements with the “quick connect :lol:

It's not lazy, it's selectively efficient application of your physical labor.

I have many times not installed the bucket pins when I am switching from bucket to pallet forks and back again. As long as I am not going to be angling the FEL too much and its a straight lift with the pallet forks, I often just drop the bucket and pick up the forks and then swap back the other way.

(I ALWAYS pin the pins in the storage hole on the loader arms so they don't get pinched or ripped off the loader mount as has happened to some here on GTT. This should be avoided as the pins on the cables often can't be replaced easily due to the cast mount hole being broken off the loader arm.)

I did have this happen, which is a photo worthy moment to remind me I really shouldn't be doing this.....:dunno: I kept thinking, that's odd, the bucket isn't dumping as fast as it should..........one look told me why.:laugh:

Note, the pins are shown in their storage position, just like they should be.....so I have THAT habit down pretty well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, one day soon I plan to catch a you tube video to demonstrate some REAL LAZINESS. A neighbor across the county road north of me has about a 800 foot long paved driveway which is between rows of cedar trees which are almost 100 years old. The cedar trees have grown to be so big the driveway is now too narrow for fire trucks or even UPS trucks without the top of the box rubbing in places.

When this family is taking their trash carts back to the house, they have a unique approach. The last two weeks, both times after it was dark, I could hear voices and then I heard this loud plastic banging and scraping noise and then some yelling and more plastic scraping, etc. I walked over to the edge of the property so I could see what was going on. The kids, who are between 18 and 22 years of age, were using the new Lincoln Navigator that mommy gave them to push the trash carts up the driveway with the front bumper.

Of course, they quickly found when you push on the trash carts with the front bumper, it tips them over. So, they just kept pushing with the front bumper of the new $70k SUV on the trash carts all the way to the house. Several times, they had to stop and put them back in front of the SUV as they had deflected off to the side. The carts bounced off the trees often enough to stay in front of the SUV for much of their adventure.

This is what happens when people are given things they don't have to work to earn.

The neighbors immediately next door to this neighbor (east) has a long driveway as well which is paved but no trees lining it. While the driveway at the neighbors with the trees lining it is straight as a string, this driveway next door is shaped like a big snake curving one way and then back.

These "yutes" roll the window down in their Porsche SUV and drag the empty carts by holding onto it out the rolled down car window next to each side of the SUV the entire way back to the garage. They have done this for years and got it from their father who is too fat to walk out to the road. No way you could do this and not bang it into the side of the car at some point.

I won't park next to a plastic cart for fear of damage happening. I can't imagine dragging it up the driveway with my arm out the car window, or worse yet, using the front bumper of their new SUV to push the trash cart like a plow up to the house.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
If you are going to put a "blade" on the front of your blower and you want to be able to angle it, you will need to disconnect the drive shaft and remove the pin in the quick hitch. You'll also need to change the second set of hydraulic hoses to the angling circuit from the snowblower chute circuit. This is pretty much all the steps for changing from blower to blade on the quick hitch, except for removing the blower and putting on the blade. Are those last 2 steps going to take longer than putting a "blade" on the front of the blower? I'm not seeing it.

I redesigned the hydraulic hookups on the front of my 1025R to make it fast and easy to change from blower to blade and vice versa. POST HERE

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
There's nothing wrong with being lazy. I kinda like being lazy! I mean, if you weren't lazy you'd be using a pick and shovel instead of that backhoe, right?
My reason for a Backhoe goes Back to 1981 I am 5ft 10 I was was the assistant Gunner for a M60 Machine Gun. The Gunner was 6ft 7inch and You have to dig to his arm pits :banghead: Thank god we only did two defenses In the field for the Time I was the assistant Gunner When digging a fighting Potion You want to make sure your Buddy isn't any taller than You. I have hand dug so Many deep Holes That I swore to Myself when I retired from the Army. I would never dig a Hole deeper than a foot!!! Unless I had a Machine to do it with :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
It's not lazy, it's selectively efficient application of your physical labor.

I have many times not installed the bucket pins when I am switching from bucket to pallet forks and back again. As long as I am not going to be angling the FEL too much and its a straight lift with the pallet forks, I often just drop the bucket and pick up the forks and then swap back the other way.

(I ALWAYS pin the pins in the storage hole on the loader arms so they don't get pinched or ripped off the loader mount as has happened to some here on GTT. This should be avoided as the pins on the cables often can't be replaced easily due to the cast mount hole being broken off the loader arm.)

I did have this happen, which is a photo worthy moment to remind me I really shouldn't be doing this.....:dunno: I kept thinking, that's odd, the bucket isn't dumping as fast as it should..........one look told me why.:laugh:

Note, the pins are shown in their storage position, just like they should be.....so I have THAT habit down pretty well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, one day soon I plan to catch a you tube video to demonstrate some REAL LAZINESS. A neighbor across the county road north of me has about a 800 foot long paved driveway which is between rows of cedar trees which are almost 100 years old. The cedar trees have grown to be so big the driveway is now too narrow for fire trucks or even UPS trucks without the top of the box rubbing in places.

When this family is taking their trash carts back to the house, they have a unique approach. The last two weeks, both times after it was dark, I could hear voices and then I heard this loud plastic banging and scraping noise and then some yelling and more plastic scraping, etc. I walked over to the edge of the property so I could see what was going on. The kids, who are between 18 and 22 years of age, were using the new Lincoln Navigator that mommy gave them to push the trash carts up the driveway with the front bumper.

Of course, they quickly found when you push on the trash carts with the front bumper, it tips them over. So, they just kept pushing with the front bumper of the new $70k SUV on the trash carts all the way to the house. Several times, they had to stop and put them back in front of the SUV as they had deflected off to the side. The carts bounced off the trees often enough to stay in front of the SUV for much of their adventure.

This is what happens when people are given things they don't have to work to earn.

The neighbors immediately next door to this neighbor (east) has a long driveway as well which is paved but no trees lining it. While the driveway at the neighbors with the trees lining it is straight as a string, this driveway next door is shaped like a big snake curving one way and then back.

These "yutes" roll the window down in their Porsche SUV and drag the empty carts by holding onto it out the rolled down car window next to each side of the SUV the entire way back to the garage. They have done this for years and got it from their father who is too fat to walk out to the road. No way you could do this and not bang it into the side of the car at some point.

I won't park next to a plastic cart for fear of damage happening. I can't imagine dragging it up the driveway with my arm out the car window, or worse yet, using the front bumper of their new SUV to push the trash cart like a plow up to the house.

People like that can't make it where I live very long thru the winter!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Depending upon the snow conditions, I have just plowed with my blower, using it like a snow pusher. After all, it's about the same width as the standard sized plow and the end panels on the blower make it function like a snow pusher.

I would install rubber edges on the snowblower where the shoes are and where the wear plate is if it won't clean well enough without it, when using it as a snow pusher.

Is it the ideal snow plow, well of course not, but it also requires no effort to simply push snow with it and not turn the blower on. Or, if the snow accumulates enough in front of the blower, you could turn it on to "clear it".

Just make sure if you are using your blower as a pusher and NOT turning it on you be careful the snow in the rear impeller area doesn't freeze up, which could happen if you store your machine in the outside or a unheated area. The best way to avoid this would be to operate the blower long enough to clear it of snow at the impeller stage of the machine and / or park it where it's heated so the snow melts out of the blower, which is what I have done with mine.
This is my solution, though with the 318, but it should work with any size.
I push it until I think there is enough to turn it on to clear it, then push some more.
Usually, wherever I stop, I "clear" it, whether I have before I stop or not.

Doing this with a blower is great because you really dont need an angle function, as you can "clear" the blower at any time, and as such never end up with a big pile in front of it.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
I have used a front mounted blower and back blade for years, the ballast box stays in the barn on some dollies all winter, waiting for spring. No switching.

I don’t know your conditions but maybe it’d work? You’d still have to plow with the blade on the back, but.......

I never had a problem running my front snow blower with the only ballast being the back blade. And, it uses what you have.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Why do You think I have never gotten rid of My Garden tractors. I have the Blade On the 2025R with the Artillian adapter on the Loader and the 47inch Blower is On the X748 so I don't Have to Take 5minutes Or More to change them Over. Heck I have have a 3rd Tractor the GX335 set Up with a smaller 48inch Blade Just to Plow My sidewalks In the front of the House so I don't Have to Get either walk Behind to remove snow there I have a single & a Two Stage Ariens walk behind Blowers. Use the single Mostly for Clearing the Trex deck off Only Place I truly have to walk
That’s exactly how I try and do things. Only thing that stops me is money

Hmmm. Never thought about that. I always say the lazier the person the more inventive. I do carpentry work. I’ve done made so many templates and jigs for things I’ve done a lot. Even simple things like installing dummy door knobs and toilet paper holders. Just a simple wooden jig that holds a torpedo level, a center line, and a few other marks.

I wish I could help the OP but I don’t even know what snow is :dunno:

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
New snow coming next week just don't take my 8 ft wide rear blade I would be lost with out it to plow snow, mud and dirt!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts