1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a Deere tow behind core Aerator.
I have a 3PT and iMatch with the heavy Hitch 2” receiver

I was wondering has anyone any ideas for converting from tow behind to a 3PT or Hitch version?

The tow behind is a pain, getting on/off to adjust manually, raising and dropping after paths etc turning and reversing etc etc

I’d buy a dedicated 3PT version or iMatch comparable version if I was starting over however I’m a relative newbie you live and you learn

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hi

I have a Deere tow behind core Aerator.
I have a 3PT and iMatch with the heavy Hitch 2” receiver

I was wondering has anyone any ideas for converting from tow behind to a 3PT or Hitch version?

The tow behind is a pain, getting on/off to adjust manually, raising and dropping after paths etc turning and reversing etc etc

I’d buy a dedicated 3PT version or iMatch comparable version if I was starting over however I’m a relative newbie you live and you learn
Im glad you started this topic because I want to do the same thing. Going to try to rig something up this weekend. I tow mine with a drawbar on the iMatch. I was thinking of attaching a couple eye bolts to the back of the weight tray of the aerator, and hooking a couple chains back to the top of the iMatch. I doubt it will work, but you never know. Just need to pick it up a few inches.

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
Some pictures of the the unit you have would help us be able to give you ideas.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Mine is just the basic 40” Brinly Hardy plug aerator that you find at HD

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I have
Was suggesting removing the tow arms. Mounting a bracket of some sort to convert to something that works with a 2” hitch or the iMatch. Either would work

The other part is something I found on amazon and wondering if we could connect both hitch receivers in the Aerator and the hitch

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had looked at one of these used to convert to 3 point. They sell both. Looks like the same thing to me.
Guy wanted $375.00 so I let the urge pass.

https://www.turfvent.com/

You can look on the parts diagram for mounting ideas.
These are the people that make the Jiffy ice augers.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I did with a 40 inch Brinkley plug aerator. Works well, but you need to keep in mind to lift it when turning. Once you are use to it, it is ok, but at first challenging. If you have a lot of turns and curved area I would not recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did with a 40 inch Brinkley plug aerator. Works well, but you need to keep in mind to lift it when turning. Once you are use to it, it is ok, but at first challenging. If you have a lot of turns and curved area I would not recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did what? Sorry...explain
Any pics

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did with an $89 3pth from Amazon

The one I ordered didn’t have the receiver mount, just 2 sizes of hitch balls and a Clevis. I took the drawbar arms off and drilled matching hole in the hitch an aerator and set of small brinly discs. Light duty for sure, but worked until I bought my appropriately sized new ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The one I ordered didn’t have the receiver mount, just 2 sizes of hitch balls and a Clevis. I took the drawbar arms off and drilled matching hole in the hitch an aerator and set of small brinly discs. Light duty for sure, but worked until I bought my appropriately sized new ones.
Any photo of how this mounted to your Aerator?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Great thread guys!
All the pictures will help me when I finally get around to converting my Brinly tow behind to fit the 3pt of my 318.

JD 110H, 140H3, & 318 w/ 23HP Vanguard

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry I don’t, didn’t save any pictures of mine.

Any photo of how this mounted to your Aerator?
Looks similar to the other picture posts in the thread. Those guys did exactly what I did.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here’s a picture of my tow behind Brinly I converted to slide into a 2” hitch receiver on my homemade heavy hitch on the 318’s 3pt hitch.
It’s mostly 3/8” x 3” flatbar and some 1/4” angle I had laying around.
Will have to wait until April or May to use it unfortunately.

JD 110H, 140H3, & 318 w/ 23HP Vanguard

·
Registered
369 Posts
At the beggining of spring last year I sold/traded my X580 in on an X738 w/ 3pt hitch. I added Imatch and then converted ALL of my sleeve hitch attachments using 2" square steel tube and my MIG welder. Pull behind attachments only require a single 2' long piece welded across the top at 90 degrees to the attachment and then drilled for the pin. I would post pictures but everything is winter wrapped now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you don't lift when turning you will tear the ground and possibly damage the aerator.
I'll second that. The spoons aren't designed for side loads and those types will bend at the bottom bolt if they're buried and you try to make a turn. It's a different mind set if you're used to a pull behind plugger, where you can drive in circles all day; the 3-point doesn't swing in a turn, so you have to lift whenever you make a turn, and then drop it again once you straighten up. But, it's a lot easier to back up than it is with a pull behind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts