Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heading there now with the wife. Mine is a 2013 Ultra CVO and hers is a 2011 Softail Deluxe. Let’s get s beer and talk tractors and motorcycles. Message me.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,092 Posts
I'm here now...
We left yesterday and two-laned up to Senaca Falls and stayed the night, then came the back way into Lake George this morning. Just over 500 miles so far...

I have the 2016 Cosmic Blue Pearl RGU.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,092 Posts
Beautiful bikes, Kenny!! :good2:

To be honest, I don't know the difference between a Soft Tail and a Fat Boy, but I do like looking at them! Nice!!
Thanks Mark!

Both bikes in the pictures are "Road Glides", Pat's (the orange one) is a 2008 model, mine is 2016 and is the "Ultra" model (that's why I wrote RGU above) that is the upper trim level and comes with the tour pack (trunk on top) and other options. Pats is/was a standard model since that was all that was available them, but has since added the tour pack and most other things to make it just like an ultra model.

The Road Glide models have fixed fairings, meaning that the handlebars/forks move without the firing moving since its hard mounted to the frame. They are nicknamed "sharks" because of the way they look.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Beautiful bikes, Kenny!! :good2:

To be honest, I don't know the difference between a Soft Tail and a Fat Boy, but I do like looking at them! Nice!!
Well, the type of "Soft Tail" I prefer doesn't belong to a "Fat boy".....................:laugh::lol:

A rider's personal selection of their bike is largely based upon their taste and somewhat their riding style. Also, whether someone usually rides alone or with a passenger will dictate their model selection and it's equipping. Most of the bikes can have either a single rider or two up seating arrangement. Soft Tail's and Fat Boy's usually have a "pillion" style rider pad on the rear fender instead of a dedicated seat, which is OK for short rides but you have to be pretty hard core to want to ride any distance on a pillion.......:laugh:

Just FYI, a "hard tail" bike is one without any rear suspension which are quite rare. My first Jesse James West Coast Chopper was a "hard tail" bike. Riding a hard tail bike is like sitting on the 3ph arms of a tractor going across a rough field. Let's just say there is a reason why suspensions exist and it becomes painfully obvious the moment you ride something without a suspension. A hard tail will give you a sore tail in a hurry.....:laugh::lol:

I am a "Road King" kind of Guy, which is pretty aptly named all things considered....:yahoo::good2:....and my other model styling preference is the "Street Glide". One thing is for sure, once you are around the Harley's, all of the models become very clear after some time......

One thing about Harley's, each rider usually puts their own signature touches on their bikes and the accessories and options are nearly endless. In the end, it's all about making your bike your own and when it gets down to it, most bikes are unique to the owners tastes and selections. There is no "wrong Harley", its just what one likes and Harley has many, many options and styles to choose from.

There was a time when I first went out to Sturgis, SD back in the 1990's when if someone rode a Honda or other Japanese bike to the Sturgis rally, you were likely to find it swinging from a tree when you came out of the bar. That's not been the case for a long time now. While there are always the "Die Hard Harley people", most riders respect other riders and largely don't care what anyone rides.

The Honda Gold Wing riders tend to have their own "events" and its funny, as most Harley riders don't care for the Gold Wings and vice versa. It's not a "hatred", its just a very different personal preference and most Harley riders wouldn't rent a Wing when given a choice and most Wing riders wouldn't rent a Harley. Very different bikes to ride in my opinion and I have ridden a number of Wings........Here is an interesting Trivial pursuit answer, the Gold Wing was the first production motorcycle to offer a rider "air bag" in the event of a front crash.....You don't see many Wings with that option, but Honda did begin offering it many years ago......

The Harley crowd is like the Deere tractor crowd. Very brand loyal and unlikely to consider an Orange tractor just like most Harley riders don't own Gold wings.

Funny thing is the BMW motorcycles have always largely been highly respected by Harley riders and BMW's are known for making very long rides. If I were to purchase another motorcycle, my next new bike would be a BMW and I almost bought a new one last summer. I would keep my Harleys and add the BMW as they are very different riding bikes.

The Harley's, you sit with your feet out in front of you, where on the BMW, you sit with your feet positioned under you. For those of us who have had spinal surgeries, etc. the riding position with your feet under you tends to take the impact off your spine directly and distribute it down through your legs, etc. which makes it more comfortable for long rides. Plus the BMW seat height is MUCH higher than the Harley's seat, in fact I have a 35" inseam and on the BMW models I like, when stopped, I can barely put my feet flat on the ground.

One thing about riding, once you have done it, it gets into your blood.........The distracted drivers have me very concerned and I have stopped riding for now because of it. Who knows, I could begin riding again anytime, it's simply a matter of climbing on and hitting the starter........and listening to the V Twin loping sound of the cubic inches of the air cooled / oil cooled Harley engine...................:good2:

For those who do ride, stay safe......:bigthumb:for everyone else on the road, please take a second and take a second look when pulling out or turning across traffic so everyone on the roads can stay safe and make it home to their loved ones..............

·
Administrator
17,092 Posts
We are home safe-and sound :good2:

Some rain the first two days, but absolutely PERFECT weather everyday day after that!

1,419.7 miles ridden in total, with only about 400 (today's ride home) on the highways, the rest was on mostly two-lane back roads.

Met Joe and his lovely wife for drinks and great conversation, and made new freind in the process :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We are home safe-and sound

Some rain the first two days, but absolutely PERFECT weather everyday day after that!

1,419.7 miles ridden in total, with only about 400 (today's ride home) on the highways, the rest was on mostly two-lane back roads.

Met Joe and his lovely wife for drinks and great conversation, and made new freind in the process
Kenny,
It was a pleasure meeting you and Pat! New friends indeed! :cheers: Awesome weather and riding! Looking forward to the next great trip! We forgot to get a photo together Kenny!!

Sincerely

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Heading there now with the wife. Mine is a 2013 Ultra CVO and hers is a 2011 Softail Deluxe. Let’s get s beer and talk tractors and motorcycles. Message me.
I thought bikes were to ride, not to look at! What's with the trailer?!?!

Kenny,
It was a pleasure meeting you and Pat! New friends indeed! :cheers: Awesome weather and riding! Looking forward to the next great trip! We forgot to get a photo together Kenny!!

Sincerely
And what is that contraption with 2 wheels in the front!?!?!

Nice looking bikes all around. Some day I'll grow up and get a touring bike, but for now, I remain a hoodlum.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,092 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought bikes were to ride, not to look at! What's with the trailer?!?!
Hoodlum, ;-)
The wife doesn't like to ride in the rain, especially long distance. So we trailer to our destination and ride from there....

Sincerely

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hoodlum, ;-)
The wife doesn't like to ride in the rain, especially long distance. So we trailer to our destination and ride from there....

Sincerely
I hear ya on that, my wife is the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts