Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scribble the size of the socket needed next to some of the bolts on my tractors. It saves a little time. Seems like I put a hole in a front tire on my loader each year, and I also like having the size of the wrench I need written on the breather/dipstick of the cutter. It's a simple thing but it can get you through those shop "senior moments". I was a little hesitant to desecrate the green machine, but functionally wins out over looks.

For the 318 and mower, seems like all the bolts to hold on the sides of the tractor and belt covers are 10mm. Same size for everything on the fire departments LX196. So I don't label those. I did label the bolts that hold the cover on my tiller, since that's a once a year open it up maintenance item. In twenty years, I'll probably have every bolt on the tractor labeled...

Works on tractors of all colors too. Of course on the orange tractor, I'm not too worry about the looks...:laugh:

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
Good idea Pete, I'll do that on my tires. I'm always guessing what size socket I need... :good2:

I go over them every so often to make sure they haven't loosened up, over the years I've lost a few lugs.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
You're the first one I've met who does that Pete. That can be a great time saver for those people who aren't used to looking at a metric bolt head and knowing by eye what size it is like we do with our silly inch system.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I'm always able to guess pretty close and then go up or down from there. Labeling them is a good idea but I could never remember to carry a permanent marker with me to the tractor shed. And if I did remember to carry one, I'd forget why I had a permanent marker with me at the tractor shed. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Interesting concept Pete, like Matt, this is the first time I have seen the "wrench by the numbers" thing. :empathy3:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,707 Posts
I have not done this with the bolt size but I do mark the rims with what air pressure I run in the tires. I find it impossible to keep track of what air pressure I run in the different tractors and mowers. I do the same in what oil I run in a particular machine also, those indelible markers are handy things.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OOoooh, I like the air pressure idea.

The original IBM PC was designed so that it could be disassembled with a #2 screwdriver, a pair of pliers, and another tool (can't remember which one). I often try to make stuff where all you need is a nutdriver for a #6, a #2 Phillips, and needle nose pliers. Way back when I even found a #4 nut with the outside dimensions the same as a #6.

I guess it is what you're use to seeing. I do wish the US would go all metric so there was just one set of tools to deal with. Given the nature of global competition, it makes sense. Maybee these hard times will push us to get our act together. Most of the time change only occurs when there is negative feedback.

So it's time to find that marker and write how many kPa are needed in my tires...:laugh:

Pete

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,707 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I do wish the US would go all metric so there was just one set of tools to deal with. Given the nature of global competition, it makes sense. Maybee these hard times will push us to get our act together. Most of the time change only occurs when there is negative feedback.

So it's time to find that marker and write how many kPa are needed in my tires...:laugh:

Pete
Amen on going metric. I hate our system of measurement, although I made a good living for 24-years using it; it still is a kluge system that absolutely sucks.

As for air pressure. https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/JohnDeere4200Misc#5382689787947726322

https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/JohnDeere4200Misc#5382689790066487138

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,707 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Matt, that's nice. All of the data, none of the "sharpie ugly". It also appeals to the borderline obsessive compulsive that lurking in anyone who like to get the job done right. I wonder if I can get green tape for my P-Touch....:unknown:

If nothing else, I can try my existing yellow label on the tire rim- it would be more color coordinated but also get more wear and tear. I'll give it a shot and post a pix in a few days.

Pete

·
Premium Member
16,063 Posts
Speaking of nuts and bolts... is John Deere using metric or standard hardware these days? I just bought a 2720 and I'm not sure what wrenches to use. Metric fits some places, standard others. I sort of figured the Yanmar engine would be metric and the rest of the machine standard but I'm not sure.

I know it seems like a silly question but I would love to know the official answer.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,707 Posts
I believe, all metric.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Matt, that's nice. All of the data, none of the "sharpie ugly". It also appeals to the borderline obsessive compulsive that lurking in anyone who like to get the job done right. I wonder if I can get green tape for my P-Touch....:unknown:

If nothing else, I can try my existing yellow label on the tire rim- it would be more color coordinated but also get more wear and tear. I'll give it a shot and post a pix in a few days.

Pete
If not I think you can get clear.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.