Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hide: I know, I know, Don't try to drag me through the coals yet!:flag_of_truce:

I've been wanting to try one out for a long time now, so I broke down and bought a 72" snow pusher off of EBAY. Comes from Indiana, built by a smaller mom and pop shop.
They accepted my offer of $1150, pretty quickly, so they may have accepted an even lower offer. At that price delivered to my door, I am pleased. I'll update with pics and info when it shows up.

Anyway, here it is.....

6 XP24 John Deere snow pusher 200-500 series JD loader FREE SHIPPING - RTR | eBay

Specs....

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yes

Yes, every time on on my patio and look at the Summer set up. I posted about this yesterday. Started getting front blower and rear blade in order. I grill all year round but nothing beats an outside meal during a nice summer day. Plus the pool and grill make the day go by, no cabin fever.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes the thought has crossed my mind and I've been considering the snow blade from Extreme Metal Products.....
Quick Attach Plow for John Deere Front Loaders

It's about $1150 and they're only 40 minutes away so I could save shipping. Still trying to decide if I want to keep using my ATV with it's snow blade.

Guaranteed though if I buy it I won't see any significant snow around here:lolol:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guaranteed though if I buy it I won't see any significant snow around here:lolol:

My sentiments exactly. Nice plow setup too.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
:hide: I know, I know, Don't try to drag me through the coals yet!:flag_of_truce:

I've been wanting to try one out for a long time now, so I broke down and bought a 72" snow pusher off of EBAY. Comes from Indiana, built by a smaller mom and pop shop.
They accepted my offer of $1150, pretty quickly, so they may have accepted an even lower offer. At that price delivered to my door, I am pleased. I'll update with pics and info when it shows up.

Anyway, here it is.....

6 XP24 John Deere snow pusher 200-500 series JD loader FREE SHIPPING - RTR | eBay

Specs....
I think about winter every time I am dripping in sweat while working outside.....

Seriously, I have already had contact from a few of my snow plow customers about service for this season to make sure they are on my list......and I am checking it twice.

Have you ever plowed snow with a snow pusher?

How much snow do you get in your area in a typical snowfall?

What have you used for snow clearing in the past?

You will need the weight of the pusher plus for rear ballast. Its not about being able to handle the snow pusher, but its more about traction under all conditions.....

Also,. are you putting this on the 790 Deere? A 72" snow pusher is sized right for that sized tractor. Good choice.....

This does remind me I need to tear my plow blade down and refinish it. I want to repaint it and also add some new plow wings for rolling the snow off the end of the blade. The top flap does it now, but a upper half of the plow wing will not impede the back dragging, etc.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Yes the thought has crossed my mind and I've been considering the snow blade from Extreme Metal Products.....
Quick Attach Plow for John Deere Front Loaders

It's about $1150 and they're only 40 minutes away so I could save shipping. Still trying to decide if I want to keep using my ATV with it's snow blade.

Interesting looking plow and they have an electric over hydraulic angling kit for another $760. I simply couldn't plow what I do without being able to angle the blade. I need the plow squared for back dragging from garage doors and then angled to plow the 35' wide private roads and long driveways.

I kept track last year and I changed plow angles on average 8 times for each driveway plowed, some driveways considerably more. Plowing circular driveways is really tedious and slow without angling the plow.

Wet heavy snow makes the angling very important as having it pile up in front of the plow will stop forward progress very quickly. Plus, getting on and off the tractor to change the plow angle every time is an opportunity to slip and fall, not to mention the time it takes.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think about winter every time I am dripping in sweat while working outside.....

Seriously, I have already had contact from a few of my snow plow customers about service for this season to make sure they are on my list......and I am checking it twice.

Have you ever plowed snow with a snow pusher?
I have not. I primarily use my 72" box blade for snow removal. Very similar to snow pusher, except rear mount and pulling, so loss of steering wasn't much of an issue.

How much snow do you get in your area in a typical snowfall?
Varies. 3-5" is typical, not unheard of to see 8-10", 12"+ happens but not often.

What have you used for snow clearing in the past?
see above

You will need the weight of the pusher plus for rear ballast. Its not about being able to handle the snow pusher, but its more about traction under all conditions.....
I keep my 500lb box blade on the rear, might add some free weights to it, for more ballast. Tires get aired down to enlarge the contact patch, also have looked into studding the tires, but we'll see how it goes first few outtings.

Also,. are you putting this on the 790 Deere? A 72" snow pusher is sized right for that sized tractor. Good choice.....
Going on my 870 which is a step or two larger than a 790

This does remind me I need to tear my plow blade down and refinish it. I want to repaint it and also add some new plow wings for rolling the snow off the end of the blade. The top flap does it now, but a upper half of the plow wing will not impede the back dragging, etc.
In bold

·
Registered
969 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Think about it every day:snow::peace:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
It was 98 degrees while cutting the grass on Saturday. I can assure I was thinking about snow plowing the entire time!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Haven’t had much thought about winter. But I’m pretty well set . Sometime in October I will move the snowblower to where a can get to it and install in in a moments notice. Sometime time around Thanksgiving I will put the blower and chains on.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Haven’t had much thought about winter. But I’m pretty well set . Sometime in October I will move the snowblower to where a can get to it and install in in a moments notice. Sometime time around Thanksgiving I will put the blower and chains on.
That's basically what I do as well in early November. Yard work and landscaping projects are basically done by then. I rearrange the shed so the sprayer, PHD, and box blade are in the back, and the loader's snow plow is in the front. Remove the mower deck and store in the back of the shed as well. Find the snow shovel somewhere, undoubtedly not where I left it in the spring.

Once December rolls around, I usually leave the snow plow on the loader on the tractor parked in the garage so it's ready to roll. I'm one of those people that will sit on it waiting for the first flake to fall so I can start chasing it.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
I still have the front PTO drive unit for my 1025r in the boxes from the Dealer from when my tractor was delivered. I never installed it so I could run the blower if needed. That's another nice part about moving up from a GT to a 1 series with the FEL, I can use the loader bucket to stack piles and move them when (if) needed. Long ago I learned a good snow plowing plan and really thinking ahead about where to pile snow, etc. is important because people don't like to pay to move snow which they already paid to have plowed........

Our private roads are getting ready to under go a hot crack filling and then entire surface sealing process. I plan to add sand to the sealant when applied as well as sand on the hot crack filler to provide traction. Otherwise, the surface is so slick, its like walking on an ice skating rink and it makes plowing for myself and the trucks much harder....................Plus it makes the durability of the surface much better.......

·
Registered
940 Posts
Here, the list of fall chores prior to the first snowfall (usually in October) is long. In addition to rolling stock, we have boats, boat lifts, and a dock that needs to come out, plus the irrigation system to be blown out, deck furniture, yard maintenance/seeding/fertilizing, followed by the inevitable piles of leaves (hoping my new tractor with pine-straw rake will help in managing that problem). Pre-preparation always helps.

I'm not sure what role, if any, my 1023E (I've had it since May) will play in winter operations at my place. The Z445 has no winter role and goes into cold storage in the pole barn but I have an old LX277AWS I use with a snowblower on my 150 foot two-lane concrete driveway, which has worked fine for over 20 years. I don't know if the FEL will work better than that 48 inch snowblower, but depending on the snow load, I can see using the SCUT with FEL to move the accumulated piles of snow out into the lot across the cul-de-sac to decrease the water from snow melt. If the bucket on the FEL of my 1023E demonstrates any usefulness, I might consider a snow pusher at some point. Anyway, to maximize options, I just put a block heater on the tractor and will change the oil to a low-viscosity synthetic, and make sure the salamander in the unheated part of the storage garage is up and running. Every little bit helps when you're trying to start machinery at -30F.

·
Registered
437 Posts

They accepted my offer of $1150, pretty quickly, so they may have accepted an even lower offer. At that price delivered to my door, I am pleased. I'll update with pics and info when it shows up..
I think you will like using that pusher when it comes to moving snow and now is the right time to buy that stuff. Ya did :good2:
I used a 72" bucket and one winter was enough of that. The 72" snow pusher is much faster and the wide shoes on their pusher floats well on gravel driveways or parking lots.
The people at Express Steel are top notch as are their products and service.
Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 7.56.26 AM.png

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you will like using that pusher when it comes to moving snow and now is the right time to buy that stuff. Ya did

I used a 72" bucket and one winter was enough of that. The 72" snow pusher is much faster and the wide shoes on their pusher floats well on gravel driveways or parking lots.
The people at Express Steel are top notch as are their products and service.
View attachment 700542
Nice. I do have a large gravel lot, so that's good to here. I was debating the model with the back drag, but I balked, telling myself I can use the box blade like I always have for pulling out in front of the garage.
Never been so excited to get an attachment that all I can do is look at for a few more months, and maybe not need. Lol

·
Registered
586 Posts
Been thinking about it for the last month or so. Last winter I just used the front loader bucket as a pusher/plow and knew for this winter I wanted a regular plow blade that I can angle. Spent a lot of time trying to decide between a FEL plow or quick hitch. Decided to go with the quick hitch since at some point I plan to also get a snowblower for the blizzard we get once every 4-5 years and really don't relish the idea of having to drive backward with the blower on the 3ph. So, for now, there's an ad in the wanted section here hoping someone has one, or at least one of the parts of, a front quick hitch for my 1023E they want to unload. If I can pick up a quick hitch here I'll probably go with the CTA 60" (or 66") blade. If nothing turns up here by late September I'll probably see which dealer in the area gives me the best deal on a front QH and Deere 60" blade.

Some time ago I read on here about a rumored front 3ph coming for the 1 series. Any new rumors on that?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts