Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some opinions. Typically, when I buy something, I find out later that I paid about the highest price possible. With that in mind, I just ordered a Woods 84" (GSM84) scraper grader landplane with scarifiers. My local dealer charged me $1800. I am scared to ask this, but does anyone know if that is a good price? Also does anyone have any experience using the Woods Brand stuff? To me, it looked pretty heavy duty compared to some of the other options out there. I have a 300' driveway to maintain as well as about 1 mile of gravel roads in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I need some opinions. Typically, when I buy something, I find out later that I paid about the highest price possible. With that in mind, I just ordered a Woods 84" (GSM84) scraper grader landplane with scarifiers. My local dealer charged me $1800. I am scared to ask this, but does anyone know if that is a good price? Also does anyone have any experience using the Woods Brand stuff? To me, it looked pretty heavy duty compared to some of the other options out there. I have a 300' driveway to maintain as well as about 1 mile of gravel roads in my neighborhood.
I have owned a woods box blade, rotary cutter, rear blade, and still own a woods finishing mower. I can't comment on the price you are paying but I can comment on the quality of woods, it's good stuff!!! They are pricey but quality isn't cheap.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Tartar brand sells a land plane through either TSC or Southern States for about $1k and it is either 5 or 6 feet so it is quite a bit smaller. It doesn't have the scarifers though so that could be an issue for you. I have found that nothing from Woods is cheap but they do appear to make great products. I have researched land planes a fair amount for the past couple of months but have not pulled the trigger. The price tends to be all over the map for land planes with most starting in the $900 to $1000 range for the 5 foot and going up from there. Your cost for yours appears to be in the general price range of one that big so I don't think you paid too much for it. This attachment is simply expensive from my research, way more than a box blade.

I researched this company and they are in the price range of what you paid for the Woods but the one I looked at was only 60 inches! So your Woods is a steal compared to them. DoMor Equipment-R600C Spreader & Dura-Graders - Domor Their shipping is extremely expensive as well. The land plane I was looking at has an adjustable blade. They are the only company I found that makes a land plane with an adjustable blade.

Everything Attachment's Land plane is priced similar to the Woods. Land Leveler Land Plane Utility Grader with Scarifier Shanks This company doesn't have anything cheap but they make great stuff. Lots of forum members have their equipment and seem to really like it and the company.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not sure about all the different areas/states everyone is from but; In NY there is a Cooperative Extension and I have borrowed a land plane from them in the past. Piece of equipment that that I only used once in my life. Unless you have a ton of work lined up for one, I'd do some searching to see if maybe I could rent or borrow one. Maybe some of the machinery dealers in your area?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Nice piece of equipment.
In my use of land planes I found that unless you are removing or trying to level a "hump" from the muddle of a driveway or have some seriously big rocks in your driveway mix that the scarifiers can stay up all the time

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used it today for close to 3 hours (much of it getting it level and figuring out if I needed the scarifiers). This thing got my driveway completely flat and level in nothing flat. I had it pulling so hard that it stopped my 4044r in its tracks. My driveway is around 300 feet long but has about a 10% grade (my house is about 30 feet higher than the road leading to the beginning of my driveway). So pulling it downhill was crazy easy and pulling it uphill was where I stalled out my tractor. I think I see why people suggest to use one of these for any major grading project. Unfortunately for me, my homeowners association had the grader come out and do our neighborhood roads today (about a mile and half worth) otherwise I could've really put it through the paces. I'm thinking I feel better about buying the heaviest one I could find the weight really does help.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not sure about all the different areas/states everyone is from but; In NY there is a Cooperative Extension and I have borrowed a land plane from them in the past. Piece of equipment that that I only used once in my life. Unless you have a ton of work lined up for one, I'd do some searching to see if maybe I could rent or borrow one. Maybe some of the machinery dealers in your area?
was that through cornell or a county?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm about to order the same in 6' version and paying $1500...not sure if that means $1800 for 84" is good or not good. As far as Woods quality I would say you can rest comfortably.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance, buts the difference between that and a box blade?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am sooo glad this is being talked about. I am also in the market. I have been looking at the land Shark 5' and the EA version from Everything Attachments. I have a 400 foot drive to maintain, but just cant pull the trigger on it. They are not cheap. Is this something i am using once a year only? these are the questions i'm asking.. just so hard to pull the trigger on something i am only going to use once a year.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Just got a quote for a Woods GSS54 land plane for $1044 cash at a nearby dealer.
I need to keep a crown in my long driveway for water drainage because the driveway is cut and higher on sides.
Reason i am looking at a 54".

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mast has 6' @ $1,400 and 8' @ $1,700. Mast Tractor Sales . I almost bought one when I bought my tractor, etc, but am having good luck with rear blade and landscape rake.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
The folks at Mast are good people.. bought my 4044r there as well as my PRD 8400 finish mower. Best price on woods attachments I could find.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Land-lane

Lp1172 purchased at 1175.00. Frountier.

Reactions: blue87fj60

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have the 60 inch Frontier landplane. I think it’s really a Woods. Bright red paint under the green paint. Built very well.

Reactions: blue87fj60

·
Registered
505 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance, buts the difference between that and a box blade?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
They are stretched out longer and ride on runners boxing in the material . They have two blades that can be adjusted up down and some can angle . The reason they work well is when adjusted you set them down and drive . The back is open , material flows over 2 blades and spills out the back . You need rippers if you have potholes . You have to get them ripped out and regrade . Hope this helps , Kevin .

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I thought about getting a landplane with rippers, but I didn’t. One reason is they cost more, the other is that I have a box blade with rippers. If I have bad potholes, I set the rippers down on the box blade and tighten my top link all the way up. This picks the box up off the ground but the rippers are still digging. I rip up what I need to then change to the landplane to redistribute the gravel. Works like a champ.

Reactions: ky_shawn
1 - 20 of 20 Posts