Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got in my first stump bucket. I have been wanting to try one out for awhile. I played around with it for just a few minutes yesterday mounted on a John Deere 4044m. I think it's around 30" front to back, but I'll have to measure to be sure. Breakout force is really limited that far out in front of the arms.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? Hoping it's a decent poor man's solution to small stump removal. However, I can see it potentially being frustrating to use, at least until you get the hang of it. I'll be offering them for sale as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
Huh. Looks like it could be a "poor man's backhoe" for digging small trenches too.

·
Registered
23,300 Posts
Artillian came up with this front hoe a couple years ago as an attachment for their fork frame system. Basically a poor man’s backhoe of which I will be ordering sometime soon.

It’s nothing like your stump bucket being only 18” but the same principal I guess. This one is more suitable to the 1 and 2 series where your stump bucket would need a more serious tractor.

Fork Frame Attachments

2D8EA361-0756-4854-876D-21B2738A2411.jpeg

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
WR Long has also had one for a long time. They have a mini version weighing 185 lbs with a 30" reach and a standard model which weighs 345 lbs with a 36"
reach.

I wish Artillian would have went with more aggressive replaceable teeth on their version.

tree_spade.jpg

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Artillian came up with this front hoe a couple years ago as an attachment for their fork frame system. Basically a poor man’s backhoe of which I will be ordering sometime soon.

It’s nothing like your stump bucket being only 18” but the same principal I guess. This one is more suitable to the 1 and 2 series where your stump bucket would need a more serious tractor.

Fork Frame Attachments

View attachment 567145
It almost seems too stocky to be much good -- too wide and short :lol:

I wish Artillian would have went with more aggressive replaceable teeth on their version.

View attachment 567153
Yes, that would've been a good idea.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I got the artillian and it works great for stump removal the teeth could have been a little more aggressive

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
I got the artillian and it works great for stump removal the teeth could have been a little more aggressive
The question has come up about the practicality of welding some shanks and replaceable teeth onto the Artillian front hoe . I've not seen anyone try it yet.

shanks.jpg

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The question has come up about the practicality of welding some shanks and replaceable teeth onto the Artillian front hoe . I've not seen anyone try it yet.

View attachment 567281
Should be an easy mod, though I’d reinforce the lip before I put teeth on the web of the bucket that would focus the digging force.

Reactions: GWT3046r

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I used the Artillian hoe bucket to get this stump up. It is mounted on a 3025E tractor. I do not think you need to make the teeth on the hoe bucket anymore aggressive than they are. The bucket is not too short either. Comparing it to the monster that was posted, it will take more time to remove a big stump than that one is my guess. The hoe bucket essentially acts like a big tractor powered shovel. I love it. Between it and my grapple, I was able to hack out a trail in my woods in short order.

It took me a couple of hours to dig the stump out and then the rest of the weekend to get it out of the hole and moved to the burn pile. That stump was heavy and my tractor is light! I ended up using the winch on my to pull it enough out of the hole and the backfilled the hole to get the stump out of the ground. I then "rolled" the stump using the FEL about 150 yards to the burn pile. This has been a super useful tool for me. I have some really crappy ground and a bad back so digging small holes is always PIA for me, especially since the wife likes to plant flowers and small trees. The artillian hoe bucket takes care of that kind of task in short order.

My only comment on that monster bucket is you probably need a serious tractor or skid steer to make proper use of it. It looks pretty cool but that thing is made for a big tractor not a compact or sub-compact.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used the Artillian hoe bucket to get this stump up. It is mounted on a 3025E tractor. I do not think you need to make the teeth on the hoe bucket anymore aggressive than they are. The bucket is not too short either. Comparing it to the monster that was posted, it will take more time to remove a big stump than that one is my guess. The hoe bucket essentially acts like a big tractor powered shovel. I love it. Between it and my grapple, I was able to hack out a trail in my woods in short order.

It took me a couple of hours to dig the stump out and then the rest of the weekend to get it out of the hole and moved to the burn pile. That stump was heavy and my tractor is light! I ended up using the winch on my to pull it enough out of the hole and the backfilled the hole to get the stump out of the ground. I then "rolled" the stump using the FEL about 150 yards to the burn pile. This has been a super useful tool for me. I have some really crappy ground and a bad back so digging small holes is always PIA for me, especially since the wife likes to plant flowers and small trees. The artillian hoe bucket takes care of that kind of task in short order.

My only comment on that monster bucket is you probably need a serious tractor or skid steer to make proper use of it. It looks pretty cool but that thing is made for a big tractor not a compact or sub-compact.
Wow, I find that to be very impressive! That is way bigger than I would've imagined it could dig out. Nice work!

Here's the specs on mine. Yes, no doubt it is for bigger end compacts. I have it on a 4044m right now. If I get a chance, I might try it out on a 3 Series, but I wouldn't bother with anything smaller.

It's the Heavy Duty Stump Bucket listed on this page

• Angled toward the front to keep the dirt from “sticking” inside the bucket
• Extra Bracing on the Back and Sides of the Bucket
• 3 Large Pin-On Teeth (Side Pin)
• 28" Wide across the Back
• 14" Wide across the Front
• 33.5" Deep
• 3/4" x 6" Cutting Edge
• Standard Universal Skid Steer Mount
• Optional JD or Euro/Global Mounts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks nice..

I just got in my first stump bucket. I have been wanting to try one out for awhile. I played around with it for just a few minutes yesterday mounted on a John Deere 4044m. I think it's around 30" front to back, but I'll have to measure to be sure. Breakout force is really limited that far out in front of the arms.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? Hoping it's a decent poor man's solution to small stump removal. However, I can see it potentially being frustrating to use, at least until you get the hang of it. I'll be offering them for sale as well.
I like it! Did you build this one or buy it? Cant seem to find one with the John Deere Hook and Pin system.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I like it! Did you build this one or buy it? Cant seem to find one with the John Deere Hook and Pin system.
My neighbor just bought one for his Kubota. That thing is a beast, way beefier than my artillian hoe bucket. It's a true stump bucket. He has used it take a bunch of stumps on his property. The only down fall is its weight. He has the Kubota equivalent of a 3 series and I wouldn't go with any smaller of a tractor. I can mount and dismount my little hoe bucket by hand but that thing is over 300lbs I think, maybe close to 400. If you are looking for a dedicated stump bucket than this is it. I would give the company a call and see if they make one with a JD quick attach system.

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 14 of 14 Posts