Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been getting this "search.conduit.com" coming up when I am browsing online. It seems to slow down my computer. I have searched this and it seems this is hijacking malware and it changes registry values, etc. Is there any way to easily get rid of this? I am running Firefox and AVG and also run Spybot periodically. Has anyone else experienced this malware? Anyone download and run SpyHunter?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I have been getting this "search.conduit.com" coming up when I am browsing online. It seems to slow down my computer. I have searched this and it seems this is hijacking malware and it changes registry values, etc. Is there any way to easily get rid of this? I am running Firefox and AVG and also run Spybot periodically. Has anyone else experienced this malware? Anyone download and run SpyHunter?
Download and run Malwarebytes from Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software. You may also have to go to Add-ons in Firefox and remove it there. I have run into this several times on peoples computers and have always been able to get rid of it.

Dave

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't ever see a Conduit Toolbar. If it has installed on my computer, I don't see it. I have nothing in my Firefox Add-Ons showing any conduit installed. The times I see search.conduit.com is in the lower left corner of my screen and it shows up when I jump from to different websites. Is this when you can tell it is present? Are there other clues as to where it might be stored on my computer?

·
Registered
321 Posts
there are many search engines and other programs that will download theirselves into your computer. Many are attached to something that you download. If you do get a program that you do not want use these steps.

click on the windows icon

click on programs and features

click on the program you don't want

RIGHT click on the program you don't want then click on uninstall

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
Just search the term "conduit" from the start button, I was finding folders and files everywhere-some I could delete and some I couldn't. It was a real nightmare for me.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I see nothing in the Programs and Features that refer to Conduit. It does not exist there.

The only time I see that it is present is in the lower left corner when I am web surfing between my favorite sites. It will show up there as the computer and ISP is processing my next command to go the next website. When it shows up the process is slowed down drastically and when it does not appear the process is fast and smooth. IE; going from GTT to Weather.com to Yahoo to GTT. I hope this all makes sense as I am not sure how to explain it any differently.

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
Are you viewing/searching hidden files? Maybe you have something different, I'm just trying tot prelate what happened to me.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just search the term "conduit" from the start button, I was finding folders and files everywhere-some I could delete and some I couldn't. It was a real nightmare for me.
Nothing shows up referring to <search.conduit> <conduit> or other. Files show up, but I created those files and they refer to things like electrical conduit or pipe conduit.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you viewing/searching hidden files? Maybe you have something different, I'm just trying tot prelate what happened to me.
I have my settings so that I can view hidden files and folders.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
321 Posts
check your preference settings to see if your search engine preference has changed.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I don't ever see a Conduit Toolbar. If it has installed on my computer, I don't see it. I have nothing in my Firefox Add-Ons showing any conduit installed. The times I see search.conduit.com is in the lower left corner of my screen and it shows up when I jump from to different websites. Is this when you can tell it is present? Are there other clues as to where it might be stored on my computer?

When you go to the Add-ons tab, click on Extensions and also Plugins to see if it has buried itself there. Also click on the little icon at the left of the search bar in the upper right corner to get to where you can manage your search engines and see if it is listed there. If so, remove it. Malwarebytes is pretty good at removing it, but you may still have to do these things I mentioned.

Dave

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you go to the Add-ons tab, click on Extensions and also Plugins to see if it has buried itself there. Also click on the little icon at the left of the search bar in the upper right corner to get to where you can manage your search engines and see if it is listed there. If so, remove it. Malwarebytes is pretty good at removing it, but you may still have to do these things I mentioned.

Dave

Nothing in Plugins or Extensions. I clicked on the gear icon next to the search bar. I still do not see anything referring to conduit.

What I see is this: Looking for search.conduit.com in the lower left corner when websurfing my favorite sites.

Should I go ahead and download and run the malwarebytes? Thanks for patience and help.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
check your preference settings to see if your search engine preference has changed.
I checked my Firefox preference options under the applications tab and found nothing referring to search.conduit.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Nothing in Plugins or Extensions. I clicked on the gear icon next to the search bar. I still do not see anything referring to conduit.

What I see is this: Looking for search.conduit.com in the lower left corner when websurfing my favorite sites.

Should I go ahead and download and run the malwarebytes? Thanks for patience and help.

Definitely run Malwarebytes. It is the best at fixing these things. This one is pretty tough to get rid of. Put another add-on on Firefox called WOT which stands for Web of Trust. It will advise you when you go to a bad site. That is where you get problems like Conduit.

Dave

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is what I got after running Malwarebytes. Should I go ahead and all quarantine the objects listed?

Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
3,845 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have ran the malware software 3 times now and will quarantine all the objects it found. The same objects were found each time. Now, time will tell if this helped.

But most importantly, I say thanks to all for help provided to me.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
check everything to make sure that you're actually checking the right boxesn I'm not sure the that you're actually getting them quarantined check everything to make sure that you're actually checking the right boxes.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One (M8)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts