Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
I contacted the closest 5 dealers in a 100 miles radius, and emailed them a listing of what I wanted with the attachments and asked for their best price out the door. Saved alot. Did the same for my neighbor last year on his x590. Saved him a good amount too. Yes, market conditions and supply will affect deals for sure, but do yourself a favor and get out there and shop.

· Registered
159 Posts
Unfortunately every dealer in the region seems to have been bought out by the same company. No matter where you go to get an estimate they send you back to the first person who quoted you because that’s what’s in their system.
I'm not sure why people have such a hard time shopping? I shop and negotiate for every big ticket item I purchase.

In the Chicago metro area, we also have one group that pretty much locked up the area with 4 dealers surrounding the collar counties. I have nothing against them, but they are strictly MSRP on everything unless JD themselves has a promotion going on. That is their business model, which is fine. So, I gave that owner group an RFP to the nearest store which is 5 miles away. Then I started adding places outside of the Chicago metro, with different owners. Turns out that the best deal I got was from a place in a different state, well within 100 miles, with lower sales tax too.

Obviously, if you go to another of the dealers in the SAME ownership group, you will be in the SAME system, and will very likely get the SAME price. Unless one of them have a one-off or low hour return they are trying to get rid of. Kind of like the local Auto Parts stores. The AutoZone in your town obviously has the same exact prices at the AutoZone in the next town over.

To get fair quotes, you must ensure you only include stores with unique owners. So, instead of going to 4 Autozones in the XXX mile radius, how about doing one AutoZone, one Advance Auto, one Napa, and one O'Reilly's.

In some regions of course, you might have to go out further than 100 miles to find a JD dealer with a different owner, and at some point you may not want to go that far, and decide just to pay the price. That's your call, but getting multiple quotes from a few stores within the same ownership group makes no sense and will get you nowhere.

I suggest you list your zip code and perhaps a few friendly folks here might be willing to help identify potential candidates in your area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.