Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a bumper crop of jalapenos this year and I'm running out of things to do with them. I would like to try jalapeno jelly, but I've never made jelly before. Does anyone have a recipe that you would share? I've hit up Google, but thought I'd check here for someone that has made it.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
We've had a bumper crop of jalapenos this year and I'm running out of things to do with them. I would like to try jalapeno jelly, but I've never made jelly before. Does anyone have a recipe that you would share? I've hit up Google, but thought I'd check here for someone that has made it.
Can't help with the jelly, but you might consider pickling some. We used to buy them by the gallon, and when the jug got about half empty, Sharn Jean would boil some eggs and put them in the brine with the remaining jalapenos.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
I've pickled my version (hot), my wife's version (mild) and given all of the kids pickled peppers. I've pickled over a peck of the peppers that I've picked. :)
:laugh: What can I say. Matches my vision of folks picking pickled peppers in those old pickled pepper fields back home...in Georgia! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
:laugh: What can I say. Matches my vision of folks picking pickled peppers in those old pickled pepper fields back home...in Georgia! :laugh:
You guys are pretty good with those rhymes.. I had a Bloody Mary last night that gave me such heartburn it wasn't funny, she used spicy vodka, nothing would take it away so I can't even imagine Jalapeño Jelly.. I love spicy stuff but there is a limit I guess.. The scotch must have burned a hole somewhere! :bigbeer:

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a recipe on of Google, it's from the ball blue book. I liked this one as it only had jalapenos in it. I removed the seeds and veins. It isn't very hot to me, just right for the Mrs. It'll be good over cream cheese with crackers, which is the universally suggested way to eat this stuff.

Jalapeno Jelly Recipe - Food.com

Today's work, 6 half pints of jalapeno jelly, 3 quarts of boiled peanuts, and 5 half pints/4 dozen pickled quail eggs

·
Registered
373 Posts
From the food network

Jalapeno Jelly
Recipe Courtesy Gourmet Magazine
Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 1/2 pints
User Rating:
5 jalapeno peppers
5 cups sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup herb-flavored white vinegar
2 large green bell peppers, seeds and ribs discarded
6 ounces liquid pectin
Green food coloring, optional
In a large saucepan bring the sugar and the vinegars to a boil over moderately low heat, stirring. In a food processor
chop the bell peppers and jalapenos (with some jalapeno seeds, depending upon the hotness desired). Stir the pepper
mixture into the vinegar mixture and simmer, skimming the froth, for 10 minutes. Stir in the pectin and boil rapidly for
1 minute. Skim the froth and add 1 to 2 drops of the food coloring. Transfer the jelly to sterilized 1/2-pint Mason-type
jars, wipe the rims with a damp cloth, and seal with the lids.
Serve the jelly as a condiment with grilled or broiled meats or with cream cheese on crackers as a canape.
Episode#: CL9391
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

1 - 7 of 7 Posts