Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone and built a reasonably powerful home media system using Plex. I have all of the DVD's and BluRay's ripped down and stored on the server and I also have a HD HomeRun Extend (dual tuner) connected to an HD antenna. I get about a dozen channels, including all four of the major networks in my local area. Since I have a lifetime PlexPass, I also have access to the PVR (DVR) functionality and can record from the HomeRun just as I would with any cable or satellite provider with their DVR box.

Since DirecTV won't give me a consistently reasonable price (I have to call once per year, agree to a 12-month term, and then they'll reduce my bill by 1/3), I want to dump regular TV service completely.

What I'm trying to understand is whether the Hulu streaming service or the upgraded service with cloud-based DVR and access to live TV would fit my needs better. So, I'm wondering if anyone here is a subscriber to the Hulu with Live TV plan and could offer any insight into how it's working for you.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Great question

With cable costs constantly escalating, I'll be watching this thread closely. Thanks for opening the conversation.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I can tell, the three major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) allow you to access all of their live content with your Hulu login. That would account for the general access. I wonder how the "local" affiliates would be accessed.

I'm very curious to know more about the DVR piece (quality, how well it streams, etc.).

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,136 Posts
With cable costs constantly escalating, I'll be watching this thread closely. Thanks for opening the conversation.

Treefarmer
X2 :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't have HULU but what I have done when I got tired of sky rocketing cable bill, I ended up putting up a quality outdoor antenna and a quality booster just so I could get local channels. I was amazed that even in the stix I was able to pick up 17 channels all crystal clear free !! Well kinda - I had about $300 I think into the antenna. Loved it so much bought my Mother one, she was able to 38 channels, but she is closer to civilization.

Still searching for the ultimate TV I branched out to a FIRESTICK - and did what they call jail break it. I'm using an app called Modbro and I have ton's of stations streaming including all the major cable stations. including hbo/cinemax/showtime etc. It is an electronic learning curve but YOUTUBE will help even a old goat like myself through it.

I now pay ZERO a month - have more channels than I have ever had streaming. Once in a while it will hiccup and I will have to reload. As for the streaming troubles - you will have the same trouble that you have when you stream anything online. Never perfect but pretty darn close.

TV ANTENNA
TV Antenna Booster
Jailbreak Firestick

< $400 More stations than ever and Zero a month. MY kind of TV!

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Antenna?

I don't have HULU but what I have done when I got tired of sky rocketing cable bill, I ended up putting up a quality outdoor antenna and a quality booster just so I could get local channels. I was amazed that even in the stix I was able to pick up 17 channels all crystal clear free !! Well kinda - I had about $300 I think into the antenna. Loved it so much bought my Mother one, she was able to 38 channels, but she is closer to civilization.

Still searching for the ultimate TV I branched out to a FIRESTICK - and did what they call jail break it. I'm using an app called Modbro and I have ton's of stations streaming including all the major cable stations. including hbo/cinemax/showtime etc. It is an electronic learning curve but YOUTUBE will help even a old goat like myself through it.

I now pay ZERO a month - have more channels than I have ever had streaming. Once in a while it will hiccup and I will have to reload. As for the streaming troubles - you will have the same trouble that you have when you stream anything online. Never perfect but pretty darn close.

TV ANTENNA
TV Antenna Booster
Jailbreak Firestick

Pre-digital TV we used to get over the air really well. When things went digital, I upgraded my antenna and booster and still couldn't reliably get a signal. I talked with the FCC and they said we were just a little too far plus there was a large hill between us and the stations. Apparently digital signals don't bend over the horizon well. I've really considered buying and installing a tower to get another 75' of height but would hate to do that unless I knew it would work. I was already using an antenna with a pole mount that went higher than my house. Standing on the end of a house dealing with it and a 25' drop isn't something I want to do again.

What brand of antenna do you use?

Treefarmer

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
You might want to take a look at "Sling TV". It's referred to as "al a' carte TV" because you can buy little mini packages of different channels. For example, I don't follow any sports so I wouldn't need to include the $5/month package that includes ESPN, etc. No kids, so no need to pay $5/month for Disney, NickToons, etc.

After Time Warner became "Spectrum", my monthly price went from $140/month (including internet) to $165 for a couple of months to $265!! :nunu: I did pay them a visit and got it back down to $145 (which included a jump from 30 mbs to 100 mbs internet) but I may still take a look at Sling. I can get internet for $69 and then everything I want on Sling for $45. That would save $30 / month.

My biggest obstacle to this is Sweetie. We'd probably need to use 2 remotes and would have to change "inputs" from the antenna to get local channels over to the Sling device for the other channels. Wouldn't bother me, but she wouldn't like it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live closer to civilization, so a simple indoor antenna gets me 25-30 local channels. I too have an Amazon fire stick. With the modifications available on you tube, it will get just about anything except live sports feeds for USA sports channels. I paid $99 for a year of Amazon Prime, partly for the free quick shipping, but also for their tv streaming. They have a lot of good series that are exclusive to them, along with a good selection of movies and tv shows. The nice thing is when you choose to watch something, it is instant, no download times, no choosing streams. You do need an internet feed though.
Mike Hawkins

·
Registered
21,562 Posts
I watch only streaming TV.

I've had Hulu (commercial free) for a couple years along with Netflix and CBS All Access (commercial free).

I recently did the free trial of Hulu w/live TV. It takes a little while to get used to their user interface which is new. It does work great, but....my only gripe was not having AMC. That was a deal breaker for me.

I also did a month long trial of DirecTVNOW - much nicer user interface. And they do have AMC. But at the time they didn't have the DVR function but is soon to be I hear.

At the time I went with Sling Orange. Had a nice small selection of channels that we watch plus has the DVR function.

Hulu Live is the most expensive of the three.
Driectv now is a very good option I think.
Sling still beats them all.

Just to note - none of them will give me the major networks - it depends on where you live I guess. So if the major networks are something you want pay close attention to if you can get them or not.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Pre-digital TV we used to get over the air really well. When things went digital, I upgraded my antenna and booster and still couldn't reliably get a signal. I talked with the FCC and they said we were just a little too far plus there was a large hill between us and the stations. Apparently digital signals don't bend over the horizon well. I've really considered buying and installing a tower to get another 75' of height but would hate to do that unless I knew it would work. I was already using an antenna with a pole mount that went higher than my house. Standing on the end of a house dealing with it and a 25' drop isn't something I want to do again.

What brand of antenna do you use?

Treefarmer

I use an 8 element bowtie antenna ( UHF) - $130 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4XVOOC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a Channel Master CM-7777 Pre-amplifer $70- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GGKOG8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a VHF RETRO Kit $30 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LHFRCMG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After going back to pull the actual order price that I paid it appears I was only into it for about $250 :laugh:

https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html

Tree farmer - You may struggle around the hill - I will say this though, I'm in a hole so to speak where I live. Without the pre-amp I get a flat zero, with a Walmart pre-amp I get zero. So I'm kinda sold on that channel master.

Height will help a ton but a serious antenna will as well. Channel Master makes a really big antenna that I really want but now that I'm on the fire stick I will never buy it.

BTW my 8 element antenna is the peak of my roof, on small pole.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

TV ANTENNA
TV Antenna Booster
Jailbreak Firestick

The FireStick supports Hulu, Sling, HBO NOW, ABC, TNT, Showtime and DirecTV NOW - for my use, there wouldn't be a need to jailbreak it.

I have a HD Antenna in the attic that allows me to get a dozen or so local channels, including all four major networks. I run the drop to a network device which allows me to A) record live TV with my Plex server and B) watch live TV using UPNP / DLNA from any network-connected device or via the Plex app on any device.

Since the Hulu with Live TV offer includes access to my local channels as well, I could use the Hulu app to access live content and the Plex server to record shows for later viewing.

You might want to take a look at "Sling TV". It's referred to as "al a' carte TV" because you can buy little mini packages of different channels. For example, I don't follow any sports so I wouldn't need to include the $5/month package that includes ESPN, etc. No kids, so no need to pay $5/month for Disney, NickToons, etc.

After Time Warner became "Spectrum", my monthly price went from $140/month (including internet) to $165 for a couple of months to $265!! :nunu: I did pay them a visit and got it back down to $145 (which included a jump from 30 mbs to 100 mbs internet) but I may still take a look at Sling. I can get internet for $69 and then everything I want on Sling for $45. That would save $30 / month.

My biggest obstacle to this is Sweetie. We'd probably need to use 2 remotes and would have to change "inputs" from the antenna to get local channels over to the Sling device for the other channels. Wouldn't bother me, but she wouldn't like it.
I actually "tried" looking at Sling TV. Their web site does not provide much at all in the way of detailed information about what's actually included and what the costs are. If you spend an hour on their site, it seems you can sort of figure it out. Why are they so secretive about what you get and how much it costs? They talk of the two plans (Blue and Orange), but there doesn't seem to be any real detail about what's different. I'm -NOT- impressed with how forthcoming they are with information and that makes me leery of trying their services.

I called DirecTV to schedule cancelation of my service. They offered me a price break of about 1/3 if I agree to remain a customer for 12 more months and agree to pay $30 per remaining month in cancelation fees if I drop the service before 12 months is up. Since it will take me a while to get settled on the service(s) that I want and then start recording shows somewhere BESIDES the DTV DVR, I figure I'll remain a customer for at least six more months. And four months is the break even point for what I'm saving versus paying early termination fees. So, anything beyond four months and I'm still saving money over not taking the discounts.

·
Premium Member
11,031 Posts
I actually "tried" looking at Sling TV. Their web site does not provide much at all in the way of detailed information about what's actually included and what the costs are. If you spend an hour on their site, it seems you can sort of figure it out. Why are they so secretive about what you get and how much it costs? They talk of the two plans (Blue and Orange), but there doesn't seem to be any real detail about what's different. I'm -NOT- impressed with how forthcoming they are with information and that makes me leery of trying their services.
I feel the exact same way. I don't understand why the presentation on their website is so cryptic. It makes me suspicious although it seems lots of folks are happy Sling customers. Our cable bill is nearing the point of saying "ENOUGH!". I don't watch sports and there are 200+ channels of garbage... and I mean garbage. There is very little on TV these days that is actually worth the price of electricity it takes to power the TV.

I just picked up a Roku Ultra to get my feet wet with streaming. I am very impressed with what it can do right out of the box and with adding a few APPS. I'm going to get an inexpensive antenna and see how many local stations I can get. The ABC, CBS and PBS towers are line of sight visible from my window so I know I'll have no problem with those. Compared to what is on cable I could almost get by with just watching YouTube and some over-the-air stuff. YouTube is much more enjoyable on a big TV as compared to watching it on my computer.

Commercial TV content is so pathetic that I don't think I would even miss the few programs I do watch.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The FireStick supports Hulu, Sling, HBO NOW, ABC, TNT, Showtime and DirecTV NOW - for my use, there wouldn't be a need to jailbreak it.

Your correct the firestick does support those. However last I checked - You had to pay a fee for these. My idea was to get a FREE TV STREAM.

I'm not kidding when I say I have every channel known to man - FREE Stream. In order to do this you have to "JAILBREAK" it and install KODI. That's what I have on mine. :munch:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your correct the firestick does support those. However last I checked - You had to pay a fee for these. My idea was to get a FREE TV STREAM.

I'm not kidding when I say I have every channel known to man - FREE Stream. In order to do this you have to "JAILBREAK" it and install KODI. That's what I have on mine. :munch:
I'm aware of the Kodi installs that provide access to everything for free. That's essentially pirateware (and it's illegal - if you're caught, you will be fined), though, and not something I'm interested in.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm aware of the Kodi installs that provide access to everything for free. That's essentially pirateware (and it's illegal - if you're caught, you will be fined), though, and not something I'm interested in.

I respect your opinion- but no where have I read where streaming off of Kodi is illegal. Forgive my ignorance on this subject but Illegal only comes in play when infringing on copyright laws. Free streaming is legal Kodi just puts it in a usable format.

Looking forward to hearing how hulu pans out best of luck in all your decisions.

Sincerely- Mike

·
Registered
196 Posts
I cut the cord from satelite tv and put an antenna in the attic. I was picking up 18 local channels in HD. Then one Saturday morning, I was watching reruns of the Flying Nunn by myself in the living room. I went upstairs to see what the wife and kids were doing - they were watching cable tv in the spare bedroom :banghead:.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I made my own antenna for the shop from plans I found online. I get 26 channels out of Madison, which is funny because I'm closer to Milwaukee there.

I'd like to find a good solution for home. Now that Spectrum has given everyone 100megs streaming should be good.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I made my own antenna for the shop from plans I found online. I get 26 channels out of Madison, which is funny because I'm closer to Milwaukee there.

I'd like to find a good solution for home. Now that Spectrum has given everyone 100megs streaming should be good.
PlayStation Vue is great

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,031 Posts
I'm not kidding when I say I have every channel known to man - FREE Stream. In order to do this you have to "JAILBREAK" it and install KODI. That's what I have on mine.
If you don't mind me asking, what Add-On do you use to get cable channels like Discovery, History Channel, A&E, HDNET, etc?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts