Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like what I've read and heard about these, but they're in short supply around here and haven't been able to test-drive one yet. Interested in any comments about them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Interested myself in S4

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,680 Posts
They seem to be getting good reviews but then again most new machines do.
It was a toss-up here for us, in the end we bought the new XUV-560, didn't need or want the speed the XUV-590i offered.
Very happy so far with the 560.

·
Premium Member
13,943 Posts
We had a early version of the 550 S4. Another time , now own Honda Pioneer 700 4 seat.

As Gizmo can say the 560 or 550 is a nice ride. The mechanic and shop foreman and I was talking about the new 590 . They liked what they were seeing.
Inline 2 cyl engine, water cooled plus FI instead of carburetor .

The new clutch unit on all 3 units have been improved and they was thinking it was the best setup so far.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The new GATOR model 5 generation isn't sold on the german / european market and I'm also interested to hear about. As Keith said before, I prefer the slower GATOR versions, too.

I like the GATOR to decelerate and enjoy my life
but I'm also very, very, very interested to hear about the new series - maybe we need a new thread where Keith and the other owners of the new series will tell us about their experiences.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Today I saw a commercial video and so I've heart the sound of the engine again - great! Very nice sound! And - the sound was better than in the original JD commercial vid...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 590i S4, and brought it home last week. So far, loving it! Smooth and powerful. Seems very well built. I looked at EVERY other one on the market, and the 590i stood out above the rest.

Attachments

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts
Checked out the 590i w/ power steering today at dealer.

Anyone have any updated reviews of them?
Exact unit the salesman went over with me today. I was impressed. I had in my head either a 6x4 or HPX. He says the 560 or 590 is way to go and he recommends the 590. The bed was bigger than I thought it would be. I need to get my business up and going first. When I'm ready though, the 0% for 60 months will be just a memory I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I test-drove a 590i w/power steering back in the summer and it was just what I wanted. Was about ready to pull the trigger on it but remembering how the dealer screwed me over on my tractor I just couldn't make myself buy anything else from them. Next closest dealer belongs to same chain, next after that belongs to another chain that I know nothing about, so I'm just sitting it out for now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 590i has logged 39 hours in a pretty short period. It has performed well with no issues. It has more than enough power and plenty of speed. It has been used to skid some big logs out of the woods, and act as a mule for the trailer hauling stone and dirt. I'll surprise others when I pull up to the hardware store rather than taking my car. We opted for the bench seat to allow the dog or grandchild to sit with us. Maintenance is very easy with ample space to work.

I am disappointed at a number of things. For example, I am dismayed that I have to buy an expensive part or fabricate something to mount a winch. That's like having to buy an extra part to mount the steering wheel....come on, Deere! Accessories are very expensive. Plus the online parts catalog doesn't return much in the way of 590-specific accessories and add-ons In hindsight, I do wish I had purchased power steering. It's a bit difficult to maneuver on our twistie path through the woods. The turning radius is a bit larger than expected, making turn-arounds a bit wide. I don't think any of these issues are unique to the 590.

Would I buy again? Betcha. I would also negotiate in a few extras at purchase.

IMG_3321.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,680 Posts
Spinner, Is that a canvas roof?
When my dealer delivered our 560 he said, if I need a roof to buy an aftermarket canvas roof, cheaper and just as good as the roof JD offers.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 590i has logged 39 hours in a pretty short period. It has performed well with no issues. It has more than enough power and plenty of speed. It has been used to skid some big logs out of the woods, and act as a mule for the trailer hauling stone and dirt. I'll surprise others when I pull up to the hardware store rather than taking my car. We opted for the bench seat to allow the dog or grandchild to sit with us. Maintenance is very easy with ample space to work.

I am disappointed at a number of things. For example, I am dismayed that I have to buy an expensive part or fabricate something to mount a winch. That's like having to buy an extra part to mount the steering wheel....come on, Deere! Accessories are very expensive. Plus the online parts catalog doesn't return much in the way of 590-specific accessories and add-ons In hindsight, I do wish I had purchased power steering. It's a bit difficult to maneuver on our twistie path through the woods. The turning radius is a bit larger than expected, making turn-arounds a bit wide. I don't think any of these issues are unique to the 590.

Would I buy again? Betcha. I would also negotiate in a few extras at purchase.

View attachment 274609
Nice looking Gator. I agree on the accessories, expensive and hard to get info on. I would get the power steering and that option also includes being "winch ready", which as far as I could determine just means the wiring is there, does not appear to include a winch mount. But I would get the front receiver hitch anyway and use a mount for it if I ever wanted a winch.

The original brochure I had showed an optional set of wheels that I wanted, but when I asked a salesman about them he said Deere had already discontinued them.:banghead:

I would also want a top and windshield but would probably look at aftermarket since Deere's offerings are so limited and expensive. Plus I don't even like the windshields they offer, I just want a fold-down like on golf-carts.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,680 Posts
Nice looking Gator. I agree on the accessories, expensive and hard to get info on. I would get the power steering and that option also includes being "winch ready", which as far as I could determine just means the wiring is there, does not appear to include a winch mount. But I would get the front receiver hitch anyway and use a mount for it if I ever wanted a winch.

The original brochure I had showed an optional set of wheels that I wanted, but when I asked a salesman about them he said Deere had already discontinued them.:banghead:

I would also want a top and windshield but would probably look at aftermarket since Deere's offerings are so limited and expensive. Plus I don't even like the windshields they offer, I just want a fold-down like on golf-carts.
YOU, my friend, are going to cost me a lot of money. :lol:
I'm very interested in the front hitch and after driving down the road yesterday in 37° weather, a windshield.
Do you have any info/recommendations on either?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
With a windshield I also would want a heater. Maybe an enclosed cab? Maybe I'll just stay inside my house?! It's warm in my house. Winter and cold weather is coming on you know. :nunu: :laugh:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I bought a 590i S4, and brought it home last week. So far, loving it! Smooth and powerful. Seems very well built. I looked at EVERY other one on the market, and the 590i stood out above the rest.
does it have engine braking? if so, how well does it work?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
YOU, my friend, are going to cost me a lot of money. :lol:
I'm very interested in the front hitch and after driving down the road yesterday in 37° weather, a windshield.
Do you have any info/recommendations on either?
Hey, I'd be happy to help you spend some money, better yours than mine. :laugh:

I just looked at the front hitch on JD's "Build Your Own" and it does include a winch mount also which I hadn't noticed before, also some tow hooks. It lists there for $117. Here is a picture from the site

front_hitch.jpg

and here is a link to the info about it

51-mm (2-in.) front receiver hitch and recovery loops

The windshield is a different story, when I was looking at my dealer they had the only one I would have considered but I can't find it on JD's site. It had a bottom section that folded out, still not what I want. And it was pricey, $400 - $500 if I recall.

I like just the simple windshield that folds in half, I've had 'em on every golf cart and on my current 10 year-old UTV

100_0670.jpg

If I ever get a Gator I would look to fit one of these to it but the dimensions may not allow, have not checked that.

But I consider having a roof and a windshield necessities, cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. :lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gizmo,
The soft top is a Deere 560 top I found at Goodwill (who would guess). As for cab and heater, no way. I feel the same way about cabs for my X738. I work outside for the fresh air, why would I want to sit in a small enclosure?

Spferdil,
The hitch receiver you posted is what I was referring to in my post. Deere could have easily (should have) provided a front 2" receiver and a winch plate for almost nothing if it were designed in. An aftermarket $120 part is an insult.

I'm thinking about a half-height windshield. I really didn't want one, but running down the road at 45mph changed my mind. I'm looking at some tube-mount adapters to screw a piece of thick acrylic I already have sitting in my materials pile. For less than $25 I should have a wind screen.

·
Premium Member
13,943 Posts
IMO a windshield is a must and a roof of so type.
Now Gator had the molded roof from Deere, and Pioneer has a canvas , cloth what ever it is made out of. Either way noise is added inside .

Now for the windshield, the Gator had the plastic with film coat to eliminate scratches . After the first 6 months to a year it was hard seeing out of the windshield if riding into the sun. Our Pioneer has a glass windshield ,and after a year very glad to pay the few extra dollars .

Plus if you would ever plan on putting a wiper no can do with plastic windshield.

Yes we have full soft sided cab and no heater. We stay maybe a little warmer with the sides compared to only having windshield and roof.

Oh and Honda and thinking all the other companies are just as cheap as JD .No mounting plate included for mounting a winch.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts