Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

In order to get a different tax structure at my house, I'm returning 3 acres of maintained lawn to the hay fields. Since I will no longer have a large open area to mow I sold my mowing tractor and now looking for a small highly agile mower to maintain the remaining acre and a half, which is cluttered with trees and plantings. Since I'm a lazy old man, I don't want a walk behind and a ZT rider will be large, I'm looking at the ZT standers.

So, anyone have one of the new EFI ones?

They look like they are made by Wright just painted green. However I hoping my Deere dealer will come up with a better price than the lawn mower shop as they go by list only this time of the year because the landscapers are lined up for them.

Reactions: Marlin and BigJim55

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Ok, I'll bite. What is a stander and what does it do?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Look interesting but not for a fat old man with bad legs. Maybe if I was younger.

·
Administrator
20,987 Posts
You may have to buy one just to tell us if you like it or not. :good2:

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
Look interesting but not for a fat old man with bad legs. Maybe if I was younger.
yeah-i kinda agree with drifterbike-why do u want to stand up-after all these yrs -of sitting down to mow. is turning 3 acres back into farm land-or i should say-what we have here-green environment-gonna save ya that much money on ya taxes-that now u want to stand up to mow--nah-not for me. not even when i was younger-i watched fellas mowing with them type of machines at places i delivered to--just thought-nope i'm keeping my wheel horse rider.:laugh:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
yeah-i kinda agree with drifterbike-why do u want to stand up-after all these yrs -of sitting down to mow. is turning 3 acres back into farm land-or i should say-what we have here-green environment-gonna save ya that much money on ya taxes-that now u want to stand up to mow--nah-not for me. not even when i was younger-i watched fellas mowing with them type of machines at places i delivered to--just thought-nope i'm keeping my wheel horse rider.:laugh:
I agree with you totally. The only advantage to this kind of mower (that I can see) is you can fit more of them on a trailer. (Compared to ZT's) They have to be more top heavy than a zero turn. I also see a big problem getting under trees. Finally that video showed me that a stand up is hard on the legs and back. If I was looking for something more maneuverable I'd consider an all wheel steer tractor.

Having to cut 1.5 acres is still a lot of ground. According to my JD MowerPlus app. Cutting a 1 acre lot is 1.8-1.9 miles.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Having to cut 1.5 acres is still a lot of ground. According to my JD MowerPlus app. Cutting a 1 acre lot is 1.8-1.9 miles.
Interesting way to look at it. I would think nothing of going out and walking 2 miles of more. But standing up to mow 1.5 acres, seems like a chore to me.:unknown: I hope someone does chime in about these mowers though, it will be interesting to hear the feedback of people who have used them.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
I agree with you totally. The only advantage to this kind of mower (that I can see) is you can fit more of them on a trailer. (Compared to ZT's) They have to be more top heavy than a zero turn. I also see a big problem getting under trees. Finally that video showed me that a stand up is hard on the legs and back. If I was looking for something more maneuverable I'd consider an all wheel steer tractor.

I have a walk behind, it's just like a stander except the platform you stand on is a little cart instead of built into the machine. I absolutely love it.

While they aren't for everyone, they're excellent in the right situation. For one, they're practically impossible to roll over. All the weight is at the bottom so if you're working on a hill like I used to the machine will slide long before it tips. If by some miracle it does roll over, all I have to do is take one step back off the platform and watch it go down the hill without me. Unlike a tractor or sit down z turn, in not along for the ride.

They're nearly impossible to get stuck as well. I can step back off the platform and most of the time the removal of that weight is enough to allow the mower to drive through what it needs to, whether it's a soft patch or if it started sliding.

The ride is better than most homeowner grade zero turn mowers. It's counter intuitive, but true. Because you're standing up the shock from hitting a bump is distributed throughout your entire body and not just your back. Yes, it is probably a little harder on the knees and ankles than a sit down style mower but how much so depends on your yard. If there aren't any bumps or potholes to hit you shouldn't notice much difference. Trees are actually easier than a z turn because again, I can just step off the platform and leave my hands on the controls. I steer the mower from outside the tree while it cuts underneath it.

They're an active mower. Zero turns require more concentration than a tractor style and stand ups require even more than a Z turn. If you want to cruise around and have a drink while cutting the grass, these aren't what you want. When you're running a stander, that's all you're doing. Trying to multi task will end in a wreck. They're tricky to get the hang of, but no worse than a z turn for a first timer. After a few weeks with mine I managed to eliminate 70% of the trimming I had to do because I could get into more areas and much closer to objects.

I didn't believe any of this either until a very good friend talked me into trying this thing. It was the best lawn care decision I've ever made and right now I don't think I'd trade my stander for a brand new z turn. Mine will do everything a sit down will do and a lot more, all while taking up less space in the shed and not being nearly as complex of a machine. Watch some videos and go test drive one before you make your mind up, but remember they do have a little learning curve.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

I'm the kinda guy that likes to look at both sides of things no matter what so....
-I have 4 acres. Two+ acres are a good amount of trees with sticks everywhere! Sometimes I let the grass get a little higher back there so I actually cut first slower, and then pick up sticks. So I'm constantly getting off my zero turn to throw sticks in a cut oath. This bad boy would make it so much easier and enjoyable to mow back there.
-if you sit at a computer or other desk job 8-16 hours a day 5-7 days a week you may need to stand a while so why not cut grass while standing lol
-maybe you have awesome knees & legs but your back is straight shot. Ive never had back problems but it seems the last year or two I get a pinched nerve and it hurts like a B to sit down. Especially when I get up. Everything is fine as long as I'm standing. I feel like I could play football while standing and drop to the floor when I go to sit. I would love to have an extra standie thing for those days lol.
-prolly great for people that one a lawn business cutting smaller yards.

After saying all that. I wouldn't own one. I'm going to go sit my rear down in a seat lol.
Well unless of course one or more of the above happens to me

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,834 Posts
They look like they are made by Wright just painted green.
One of the biggest and most respected names in the Stand-On Zero Turn industry has long been Wright Manufacturing, who happens to hold the patents to a lot of the designs that have helped to stand them apart from the competition for years. With their patents set to expire in the next few years, a partnership was formed between John Deere and Wright to produce a brand new line of Stand-On mowers under the John Deere brand.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hiya,

As far as the questions that have been voiced, NH has some of the highest property taxes and returning a lot of the lawn to my adjoining hay fields, now that the kiddos are older and don't need the free run area, will adjust my rate enough that the new mower will almost pay for itself within the 0% finance period.

I have run Wright Standers before when I ran a property management firm. The standers are one of the best mowers out there for cluttered areas as well as sloped land as I have both. My 2520 was great on the open areas but in the confined area, it left so much trim area I had to run a 21 push to finish.

My question was more about the EFI vs carb engines than the stander platform however, the decision has been made for me as my dealer is sold out of their allocation of standers for the season and while he can get one for me, he cant match the discount I negotiated from Turf Depot.

I'm meeting with them today but right now it will be a Wright Stander X, 22HP Kawi W/ a 52" deck. (Basically a Deere Z652R only yellow)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hiya,

As far as the questions that have been voiced, NH has some of the highest property taxes and returning a lot of the lawn to my adjoining hay fields, now that the kiddos are older and don't need the free run area, will adjust my rate enough that the new mower will almost pay for itself within the 0% finance period.

I have run Wright Standers before when I ran a property management firm. The standers are one of the best mowers out there for cluttered areas as well as sloped land as I have both. My 2520 was great on the open areas but in the confined area, it left so much trim area I had to run a 21 push to finish.

My question was more about the EFI vs carb engines than the stander platform however, the decision has been made for me as my dealer is sold out of their allocation of standers for the season and while he can get one for me, he cant match the discount I negotiated from Turf Depot.

I'm meeting with them today but right now it will be a Wright Stander X, 22HP Kawi W/ a 52" deck. (Basically a Deere Z652R only yellow)
we just bought the 930M ZTR. I was interested in getting the EFI version but my sales rep talked me out of it. Claims they tend to work on the EFI machines more due to fuel delivery issues on the EFI machines-they don't tolerate contaminants very well nor do they tolerate gas with ethanol very well. His recommendation on our 930M 25.5 HP Kawasaki was to buy 89 octane gas and put in stabilizing products and alternate by tankful. Ie; for one 5 gal batch use Stabil and then the next batch use another product and alternate. I personally love EFI. So was surprised by this advice.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hiya,

we just bought the 930M ZTR. I was interested in getting the EFI version but my sales rep talked me out of it. Claims they tend to work on the EFI machines more due to fuel delivery issues on the EFI machines-they don't tolerate contaminants very well nor do they tolerate gas with ethanol very well. His recommendation on our 930M 25.5 HP Kawasaki was to buy 89 octane gas and put in stabilizing products and alternate by tankful. Ie; for one 5 gal batch use Stabil and then the next batch use another product and alternate. I personally love EFI. So was surprised by this advice.
Off-topic...but I only put ethanol-free gas in everything I own that doesn't go on the road, and I NEVER have fuel / carb issues on anything. A lot of my stuff sits for 4-5 months during winter. It's totally worth the price.

Reactions: Gra$$guy728

·
Registered
151 Posts
Off-topic...but I only put ethanol-free gas in everything I own that doesn't go on the road, and I NEVER have fuel / carb issues on anything. A lot of my stuff sits for 4-5 months during winter. It's totally worth the price.
Your lucky. I could not find ethanol free gas in Austin, tx. My son used to race Mx and was sponsored by VP Racing fuels. Hard to even find that in Austin. For our small engines-chain saws, weed eaters, etc. we buy the pre-mix.

Anyway-to get this back on track->OP what did you end up doing?

Scott

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Your lucky. I could not find ethanol free gas in Austin, tx. My son used to race Mx and was sponsored by VP Racing fuels. Hard to even find that in Austin. For our small engines-chain saws, weed eaters, etc. we buy the pre-mix.

Anyway-to get this back on track->OP what did you end up doing?

Scott
Sorry..still off topic...:flag_of_truce: but another option is to find out if there are any small airports near you that sell 100 octane low-lead aviation gas. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts