Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 30 x 60 area we plan to dedicate to raised garden beds for vegetables. I plan to start building them within the next few weeks so they are ready for spring. I hope to do grow quite a variety of peppers, tomatoes, cantaloupe, squash, etc.

I've been all over the net looking at raised bed pictures for ideas but figure I will see what the geniuses of GTT have. I am certain there are quite a few here that will have some great ideas. So post pics of your beds if you've got them.

One thing I am curious about, we have red dirt, should I till the ground prior to building the raised bed and bringing in good soil? Or should the bed be lined so as to avoid the good soil being rinsed down into the earth?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
For large areas I plow,and till the soil prior to making the beds. In my area we have heavy dark soil, so I don't use boards to hold it. For the size area that I work, it would be cost prohibitive to build frames. Instead of plastic mulch, since I have wood chippers, used wood chips to cover the bare soil.

Not sure on what's best to recommend for your red dirt.

You may not like my ideas as they are very labor intensive. But, the yields and plant growth have been tremendous.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Mine are a bit of a cross between raised bed & wide row. I never till up the walkways, just the beds, which are about 3' wide! This garden is 24' square, less the LP tank. ~~ Lowell

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
This place of mine here in the far north is a glacier rock pile pretty much.... But if you can get enough dirt together to raise a plant, it will do good....

I do most of my veggie gardening at the farmers market, but use raised beds for fruits, berries and such that are zone 3 hearty.... This makes it easier for an old single guy..... And it is easier to "deer and bear" proof a raised bed berry patch than a garden plot....
===
Now a question.....
How do you people on that hard red clay raise a garden at all ?? I'm guessing you have to incorporate a lot of humus material to keep it loose enough to till easily and grow root crops.... Details ?? There is a part of the north east Wyoming oil fields I worked in that is red shale or grey gumbo.... Humus, compost, peat and such is a MUST....

Good luck

·
Registered
157 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390272610.979277.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390272640.978503.jpg

Squash, peppers, corn, cucumbers, tomatoes, strawberries

My boss didn't believe me!!

Jon

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
All built and installed last summer, I did cut out the sod under the beds about 4" and backfilled w/ good soil. All the beds have a 1/2 screen on the bottom of them to keep out moles/voles….They are made out of cedar wood. The semi round one is for strawberries. the rest for anything my wife can think of…some of the smaller boxes and or the long thin one in the back are for Tomatos, peppers and asparagus, Has been a lot of fun doing this project and getting to eat the results.

gard 1.jpg
gard 2.jpg
Strew bed.jpg

·
Registered
616 Posts
All built and installed last summer, I did cut out the sod under the beds about 4" and backfilled w/ good soil. All the beds have a 1/2 screen on the bottom of them to keep out moles/voles….They are made out of cedar wood. The semi round one is for strawberries. the rest for anything my wife can think of…some of the smaller boxes and or the long thin one in the back are for Tomatos, peppers and asparagus, Has been a lot of fun doing this project and getting to eat the results.
What did you use for the corners and mid straps? looks interesting? I have a single box, built the same way, but I used wood pieces on the inside corners and mid way. But I need to build another, and I like what you did!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
My wife used hay bales last year for her cucumbers, does that count?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
the corners and straps are just steel I got at Home Depot w. 3/4 inch screws. the corners are like 1 1/2" on one side and 2" on the other, so the wood fits in them and I can screw them together. Will post close ups if you wish.

·
Registered
616 Posts
the corners and straps are just steel I got at Home Depot w. 3/4 inch screws. the corners are like 1 1/2" on one side and 2" on the other, so the wood fits in them and I can screw them together. Will post close ups if you wish.
Are they like decking straps? closeup pics would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Close up pictures as requested…..Can't wait till spring……and help, not sure how to flip pictures, or how to get rid of dupes, guess I need some remedial training…..:flag_of_truce:

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have started gardening the last three years and the two things I am convinced of is one you have to WATER more than you think or want to and two composted COWSH. The more the merrier. I have made raised beds out of scraps and 1x pine that have held up so far (not pretty) but find a good source of cowsh and compost your own if you need to and you will be very pleased with the results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts