Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have my tires filled and our local tire service uses Citrastar. I looks really good on paper, same concept as Rimguard (beet juice) but citrus based so it doesn't ferment and can be pumped back out if you no longer want it.

As good as it sounds, I've never heard of it before. Do any of you have any experience with it?

Here is the website:

Liquid Tire Ballast: Citrastar 50 | Ballast Star Inc.

·
Registered
12,553 Posts
Yes, I have that in my rear tires.

Keep in mind, it is a calcium chloride based ballast with citrus fragrance and a rust inhibitor added.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep in mind, it is a calcium chloride based ballast with citrus fragrance and a rust inhibitor added.
What are the implications of that? Is it corrosive?

·
Registered
12,553 Posts
What are the implications of that? Is it corrosive?
The rust inhibitor is supposed to stop the damage to the wheels, other than that I really know nothing about it, only that it was recommended by Rick's Tire.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rust inhibitor is supposed to stop the damage to the wheels, other than that I really know nothing about it, only that it was recommended by Rick's Tire.
I take it you haven't had any issues? Are you worried about corrosion at all?

·
Registered
12,553 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't realize it was calcium chloride. Rust inhibitor or no, that makes me nervous. It would take years to see the damage done to the wheels if it is being done.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wait, hang on..calcium chloride is highly toxic/hazardous. This stuff claims to be environmentally friendly and non-toxic. How can it be calcium chloride if it's non-toxic?

·
Registered
12,553 Posts
Not sure, but drill into that MSDS and it tells you what it's all about.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure, but drill into that MSDS and it tells you what it's all about.
Just did. Answer is simple. They're lying. It's toxic.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
per the MSDS it does react with zinc/galvanized metal

does the tire shop propose a tube in the tire for the product?
Nope. They say no tube is necessary because the lying company claims it's non-corrosive.

I just cancelled my appointment.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm gonna stick my neck out on this one!

Toxicity is based on amount and time exposed. So, if you've got a closed container with a hose attached to a pump that's pumping "fluid" into a tire, you're not being exposed to the "fluid" for any amount of time! In this case they're probably legal in saying it's not "toxic".

Just as any law/rule, if you're attorney is sharp enough, you can get around it. I don't think it's right, but that's life today!

Expanding a little with a personal experience (but nothing to do with toxicity!): I had an old Ford 8N with calcium in the rears. It had a bucket...manure bucket!...and I was pushing a road into a wooded area. I had previously cleared some trees & samplings and was doing fine pushing my road until!!! I hit a sampling stump that I'd cut and it punctured one of the rear tires. It just so happened that I was next to a large 30" (??) tree and the calcium sprayed out of the tire, hit the tree, and bounced back on me. As usual, for that time in my life, no shirt! My right side looked like I was hit with a shotgun!

This was back in the early 80's and i don't know if calcium chloride was classified as "toxic" but it was classified as caustic. Big difference, but only if you're a lawyer! Bob

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's pretty clear that this junk is just rebranded calcium chloride. And all the local dealers and tire shops fell for it.

Pat, the one nice thing about this is that Rick's Tire Service can pump it out your tires for cheap. If I were you I'd have it removed.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Found a tire service that uses rimguard!

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
It's pretty clear that this junk is just rebranded calcium chloride. And all the local dealers and tire shops fell for it.

Pat, the one nice thing about this is that Rick's Tire Service can pump it out your tires for cheap. If I were you I'd have it removed.
:dunno:i don't know for sure but yrs ago someone told me the only way to get calcium chloride completely, clean up was u had to tear the tire off and wash the inside of tire and rim down with water and a soap:dunno:don't know ifs that true or not.

before rim guard was around pretty much everyone used calcium for weight--but i'm pretty sure they used tubes too--and if u pay attention to the old pics--u will see where the valve gut leaked and no one repaired it-and then the calcium ate the rim away around the valve hole. nothing wrong with calcium as long as it doesn't leak and u run tubes inside the tire IMO:unknown:

Rimguard will eat ur valve stems out over time too. so keep a watch on urs. pretty much all the tire shops have done away with rim guard around here--their claim was it was too thick-and burnt their pumps up.
i had to settle for a windshield washer solution instead. at least it won't eat the valve stems out over time. hopefully:munch:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Found a tire service that uses rimguard!
Mike, why waste your time with nasty fluid? Get your tires foam filled. You’ll never have a flat. There is no maintenance. You don’t have to worry about corrosion. You’ll get more weight in the tire. I cant honestly think of a down side to foam filled or a reason to fill tires with that stuff over foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike, why waste your time with nasty fluid? Get your tires foam filled. You’ll never have a flat. There is no maintenance. You don’t have to worry about corrosion. You’ll get more weight in the tire. I cant honestly think of a down side to foam filled or a reason to fill tires with that stuff over foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think anyone around here does that or has even heard or it.

What does it do to the ride? What if I want to remove it?

I’m not remotely worried about flats, and I need something that I can remove if I hate it. With foam, can you even get the tire off?

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
There's a liquid ballast product called Bio-Ballast that's made here in Northern Colorado. LINK HERE. (I have no financial interest in this company and I don't know anyone working there.)

If I were going to go with liquid ballast, this is what I'd use. The MSDS (at the link provided) does mention that it could be a skin or eye irritant. Just about anything that gets in your eye is an irritant. And the "skin irritant" is mentioned as a possibility because there are people who have skin that is irritated by just about everything.

I think I'd use tubes for liquid ballast. For the cost, it seems like cheap protection for the rims and tires.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts