Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has a single rope "trip" to raise and lower the discs, galvanized boxes, 14 hole 8ftish wide, single disc openers, rivet style scraper toes, ribbon style steel drop tubes, acre counter/measure, serial is 5411, which I have found repeats depending on the yr and design of the drill. Everything functions as it should, needs the scraper toes replaced, a few seed gates and a couple of drop tubes and all of the cover chains.

It has something I have never seen on a B model drill, in front of the pressure springs/guide rods is another rod that raises and lowers with the discs and is depth adjustable, has an angled spike on bottom and looks to be like it might be to start the seed furrow. I asked both uncles and they hadn't seen or heard of this either. The old man I got it from said his grandfather bought it new and he didn't think they had ever been in the dirt, because they were all adjusted up as far as possible and the "points" were still sharp.

I will get pictures of everything this evening when I get home.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
According to list below the 14 seed opening drill only came in 7'' spacing built 1946-. Can you please post some photos of the "angled spokes" because I don't remember any factory drill option such as you described? I have no idea the number of ""new"" JD model B grain drills I assembled,delivered to customers when I was employed by a JD dealer. Type of acre meter will help determine age of drill. Many boot toe scrapers have been replaced by welding scraper on boot because one must be EXTREMELY careful when riveting scraper on the keep from breaking the toe of the boot off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to see at all in these pictures, I got these from the FB marketplace listing. I will get detailed pictures this evening when I get home.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I can see your drill has older version of acre meter indicating it was built before 1964. I can't see the other spikes you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen no less than a dozen JD drills with the serial number 5411, makes you wonder why bother with the number anyway. Found them on Auction Time, Big Iron, here and a few other places.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Most older JD equipment didn't have serial #s. I can't remember what the 5411 actually represented.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some pictures

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I've never seen the apparatus with rod before now in your last photo. Only use I can guess is someone was attempting to perform some type of no-till seeding. Can you post a photo of where this attachment attaches to angle iron drill frame?

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's welded to the disc frame, there are lefts and rights

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.