Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've 'had it' with Lee, Levi and Wrangler jeans. I can take a new pair and within a dozen washings, or less, the knees and fronts above the knees are out of them. I'm not a tradesman but a retired handyman who occasionally kneels for personal home fix-it projects. I've tried Duluth Trading Company's fire hose pants but find them too hot to wear in warm weather. Does anyone make denim jeans that last? Even better at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have had good luck with the tractor supply jeans. I have had a a couple pairs for 2-3 years and they look warn but not ripped or torn up. I use them pretty hard to. For the money you can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Diamond Gusset jeans. They're 100% American made, the material is all sourced here, etc. I have a few pair that I've been wearing for 5-6 years doing farm and ranch work that are holding up well. Alternatively, I just had to patch a pair of one year old Wranglers last week.

Www.gusset.com

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
You might try some Carhartts.
Carhartt dungaree's is all that I buy.

You could also try Duluth Trading firehose pants, they are supposed to be pretty good.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Jeans are so,,,, "20th" century,,,

This is what to wear now,,, and they are better than "old" quality jeans!! :thumbup1gif:

Amazon.com: Wrangler RIGGS WORKWEAR Men's Big & Tall Carpenter Jean: Clothing

The BIG plus,,, you do not look like you are ready to walk to the moonshine still,,,,

I have been wearing Riggs rip stop for 2 years,,, :yahoo: The same 4 pair,,, :good2:

CarrHart jacket,,, Riggs pants,,, 2 hours of plowing snow while it was snowing,,,,,

(YEA, I was cold,,, but we only get one such storm a year,,,,:laugh:)

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
You might try Eddie Bauer jeans. The denim is a little thicker but not bulky and if you can catch a sale, you can save of them. They are my go to.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I regard jeans as a 'consumable' that have a finite life span...they wear out and I replace them. BTW, I am partial to Wrangler.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
145 Posts
+1 on the Wrangler Riggs with the tape measure reinforcement. They have a double knee version, too. As I get older, I find myself going to my left knee rather than bending over. Jay

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
The washing machine is top or front loader? i get twice the life from my jeans/shirts with front washing machine loader:good2:
Now that you mention that, we got our first side loader about a year or so ago (I was skeptical). But it does do a better job and probably is easier on the clothes. Some day she'll show me how to use it - but I'm not pushing the issue.:laugh:

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
Wrangler Rigid 13MWZ. $18.99 from Cavender's or Shepler's on sale.

·
Super Moderator
5,098 Posts
I guess I'm the odd duck here but I buy my jeans from LL Bean. The fit is very similar to Levis but the material is a little heavier. I usually get 4 or 5 years out of a pair.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The good ol cowboy cut 13MWZ will out last any other by a mile. Anyone who does any real work down here wears them. Weekend warriors always go for the more relaxed fit jeans but then won't last as long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
The dungarees from Schaefer are pricey but indestructible. I'm going from memory here but I believe they come in 15 oz denim and brushcloth.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm a fan of the Duluth Trading ballroom jeans. They make one pair with a similar layout to the firehose pants (extra pockets). I'm going on four years wearing these and still in great shape.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My experience has been that it is hit-and-miss with any brand. I have had Carhartt jeans that have been very good, but I have had some that have (as was mentioned) frayed at the pockets pretty quickly. I have had Dickies that have lasted a long time, and I have had a couple pair of Dickies that ripped right away.

Overall, I have had pretty good luck with Riggs, Carhartt, and Wrangler and then to a lesser extent Dickies. I haven't tried the Duluth Trading fire hose pants, but my brother swears by them. My analysis is based on my normal use. Your mileage may vary. If you are particularly hard on jeans, they won't last as long. And if you catch your jeans on the end of a bolt sticking out of something, or on barbed wire, it doesn't matter what brand they are....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts