Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this chisel from Craigslist, it's made like every Massey Ferguson, Fred Cain, Dirt Dog I have seen, except this one is green and have John Deere stenciled front and back and has a yellow stripe on the vertical hitch.

I not sure it's an actual JD chisel, but the previous owner says it is and was purchased from them eons ago. He removed the center shank and used it for a cultivator. It had sat in the same spot for years. It is 4' wide and has the 5 shanks, it also has the same red oxide primer that I have seen on every vintage one I have looked at, this was by far in the best shape of the ones I had looked at.

If someone can help me out, I would appreciate it, I just want to get a list of any parts that I may need in the future and where to purchase them.

Thanks Darryle

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Interesting piece of equipment. It has what are normally cultivator teeth on it rather than chisel teeth but the shank design is more like a chisel plow and it has spring reset.

What's the bolt spacing on the teeth?

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If it looks like a MF, then it is likely a MF regardless of the color. Never saw a JD like this one.

Just because it is green and has JOHN DEERE on it does not make it a real Deere. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me go measure it, I can tell you this, it absolutely refuses to go in the ground, I set it with a variety of different angles to the sweeps, never could get it to "bite". It just wants to skip along even in previously tilled/aerated/ripped ground. I think some tried to use it as a cultivator and it failed so they let it set.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2" center to center on the hole spacing

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
2" center to center on the hole spacing
That's a conventional row crop hole spacing. Chisel teeth are mostly 2 1/4". There are row crop teeth with different angles, I'd suspect your angle may be off making it less likely to penetrate. Here's a reference from one manufacturer.

If it is a MF, that seems to call for a 47 degree sweep: http://www.wieseindustries.com/docu...tor_Sweep_Application_Chart_1157057368843.pdf

Treefarmer

·
Registered
99 Posts
Let me go measure it, I can tell you this, it absolutely refuses to go in the ground, I set it with a variety of different angles to the sweeps, never could get it to "bite". It just wants to skip along even in previously tilled/aerated/ripped ground. I think some tried to use it as a cultivator and it failed so they let it set.
Got down pressure on your three point? If not, put some weight on the chisel/ cultivator.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
This is probably something you've considered but you can increase the aggressiveness of the bite by shortening the top link of the 3ph. The issue is that then the front teeth will run deeper than the back but it will tell you if the tooth angle is the issue.

Going to the tooth style that's on the shank not being used will help some as well. In any case, it should go down in the ground you are working without any issues. In fact, when properly set up it should suck itself down into the ground.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the top link almost completely drawn in, maybe have another inch to completely draw it in.

I am going to remove the sweeps, measure the exact spacing of the holes, order new points and the correct bolts to see if that helps. My measurements could be off the 1/4" stated above.

If someone repainted it, they did a thorough job, it had paint under the Cat 0 pins I replaced with Cat 1s.

There is enough red oxide primer to lead me to believe JD probably bought these from MF or another 3rd party. I just don't see someone going thru this level of effort to repaint it.

It's built like any of the early versions from MF, or the various companies offering one.

I really appreciate all of your help fellas!

Thanks Darryle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts