Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, hear me out before the safety police beat down my door (ha!).. I love the cut from my 54" deck.. The problem is, its too good!.. I have never had wind rows from cutting like this before.. I know, I know.. I can leave the grass longer but I like it short.. Not that short really.. I keep it at about 3 inches.. I didn't have the guard on the 46" deck on my 318 and it worked fine and rarely gave me wind rows as it was able to launch the grass and spread it out vs leaving a row of clippings.. Occasionally I'd have a problem with the tractor that would prevent me from cutting one weekend here or there and the grass would get extra long, (another reason for stepping up to a new tractor) and I would get some rows left behind.. When it happened, I would simply raise the deck with the blades spinning when I was done mowing and run down the rows of clippings.. The deck would vaccume up the clippings and spray them out like a fan.. Problem solved.. However.. This 1 series deck cuts so much grass on every pass that I think windrowing is going to be unavoidable and its largly due to the cover at the end of the deck that does not allow the grass to fly.. I suppose the only way to know if its better with out the guard is to try it.. Just wondering if anyone else has taken it off.. If so, Good?, bad?, no difference?..

·
Administrator
20,849 Posts
Taking the discharge deflector off will help some, but the best improvement I found was using Gator blades. They all but eliminate windrows unless the grass is stupid tall.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,764 Posts
First thing I did on our mowers is take off the deflector. Both of our bigger mowers we have now came with steel deflectors and it was either take them off in the beginning or rip them off later by hitting something.

·
Registered
528 Posts
x2 on the gator blades.

Golf12. I myself have battled the same issue for 3 years with my 62D deck and windrow. Even with the guard raised, i battled them all last year. (I know, growing lawn issues, poor me:flag_of_truce:). This year I added a set of G6 gator blades and they have made a huge improvement. This past weekend I attempted to mow with the guard back in place and the windrows returned, only for 2 passes though because the guard when right back into its raised position.
Maybe after the spring grow season things will slow down a bit and the guard can return to his "safe" position.

This has been my experience also. Love those Gator blades! :good2:

Rich

·
Registered
448 Posts
I drilled a hold out near the edge of my guard and put a rope through the hole and ran the rope up to near the steering wheel. Now when ever the guard gives me problems, I just pull the rope to raise the guard. I had it off the first year I had my 445 and slung a couple of stones through the basement windows so I kind of like it on when I am near the house. Those double pane windows are not cheap. Away from the house I sometimes tie the guard in the raised position and have no problems. That was the first mod I did to the 1026R 54" Deck and have not looked back wether I am using the new tractor or the old 445.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Simple answer and solution is the mulch kit. Works great no clippings left and allows you to safely remove the deflector.

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
I use a bungie cord to hold my discharge deflector raised most of the time. Can unhook it easy enough if I am worried about throwing anything.
Me too.

I like to let it down later in the season when the grass doesn't grow as fast and is lighter.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok.. that decides it.. Off with the deflector!. I'll start with the easiest and cheapest solution and just remove it.. If I'm not happy I'll try the gator blades or maybe the mulch kit.. Thanks for the input guys..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Me three. I bungee the chute up when needed...keeping it simple. And chute is readily there to keep in down position when grass is not too high. Never found need to actually remove chute.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I use a bungie cord to hold my discharge deflector raised most of the time. Can unhook it easy enough if I am worried about throwing anything.
I do this with my garden tractor, even if a different model. (Still made by Deere though!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts