Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone on here owns a UTV that is NOT a Gator? Are you happy with it? Improvements you have made to it?
If you own a Gator and are not happy with it and wish you would have done another side by side?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,427 Posts
We have a few members here that have other than Gators. I'm sure they will be along shortly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just curious if anyone on here owns a UTV that is NOT a Gator? Are you happy with it? Improvements you have made to it?
If you own a Gator and are not happy with it and wish you would have done another side by side?
I have had 2 different Polaris Rangers and now have a Honda Pioneer 700. The Rangers handled the high mileage I put on them very well, but the CVT transmission was annoying. It takes a lot of throttle to get it moving which is a challenge when you might be trying to pull close to something without bumping it. I always changed the belt before it was needed to try to eliminate the effect of wear.

The Honda automatic transmission doesn't have that problem at all, but I have the earlier 3 speed one and I can really see where the later 4 speed would be nice.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
2014 Honda pioneer 700. Still running great. Put around 2500 miles on it. It has a traditional transmission instead of a cvt that pretty much all other sxs use(allot louder). I modified it with the usual upgrades. Winch, lights, roof, etc.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
We have a Kawasaki Mule 610xc, it's very basic, nothing fancy at all. But it has plenty of power and serves our needs. Other than the parking brake rachet it's been very good to us with just routine service. It's no speed demon either, high 20's I think, but we only use it as utility vehicle on our little hobby farm.

·
Premium Member
15,346 Posts
2014 or 15 Honda Pioneer 700 4 seater.. LOVE IT.. Have over 1800 miles and no issues. Can take it on a 25-35 mile ride and going down hills very seldom touch the brake pedal. Have windshield , hand operator wiper, side curtains and soft top, winch, and have added front and rear flares. Have never missed not having L range, and lots of times riding around here going up hills , don't even need 4wd. Have only used locking front 4wheel lock 3 or 4 times .
I think the new ones may have paddle shift not sure the 1100 series has the paddle shift.

Had xuv5504 2014 (I think) seater one with air cooled carb engine.. IMO piece of _ _ _ _..at least the engine. I will say in defense of the Gator , rode nice, had L and H range,, the CVT going down any hill had to keep foot on brake and throttle just to keep it running.
If it would have had a water cooled FEI ,, probably would have been a nice machine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
We have a Kawasaki Mule 610, about 10 years old& 800 miles. It's still going strong. Had to repair the seat cover.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
We have a Kawasaki Mule 610, about 10 years old& 80 miles. It's still going strong. Had to repair the seat cover.

80 miles? Less than a mile a year?

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
We have a Kawasaki Mule 610, about 10 years old& 80 miles.
How do you calculate miles? Our 610 only has an hour meter.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
uhh ahh uhmmm..I can Not Lie.
I own a kubota rtv900.
yes the early stunted stepchild with the solid axle...who knew irs would take over the planet @ the time.
I adopted this creature at first sight .

Yes its a bit obise @ near 2000# but its on a strict diet of low sulfer bio fuel.
Due to its Portliness figure it can pack or tow its own weight.
Hydralics are needed to dump the load but were included.
Its not real trail minded due to its dissablity to jump ,fly or crawl without sweating profusly.
It did come dressed in camo as to hide vs outrun the competition.

Its a workhorse and I love it...the new ones suk

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Have had...
'05 Rhino 660 best machine I've owned. 1 trip to dealer while under warranty, otherwise zero problems.
Hard cold starting. Wanted more speed.
'10 Prowler 1000 Had better speed, but needed frequent trips to dealer for electrical gremlins.
'12 RSX 850 Bought with 112 miles, but was out of warranty. Before 500 miles, shift linkage inside engine came loose and needed $1,500 repair. That turned me off and decided I didn't want it. Problem was nobody else did either. Had to beg JD dealer to take on trade for 2032. I swear it would've been easier getting rid of aids.

If I ever buy another it will likely be a Honda 1000. But I hope to never have another.

·
Registered
206 Posts
80 miles? Less than a mile a year?
Hmmm, missed that last zero. I guess I was in too much of a hurry tonight to meet the GTT gang and ran out without checking the post. My bad. LOL

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was curious because I bought a 19 Can Am Defender XT HD10 a few weekends ago for my up coming 50th Bday. It was a new left over and had been sitting in the show room its entire life. Drove to the Florida/Georgia boarder to pick it up(3.5 hrs away). I could not decide between the Red or the Camo but Red it was.

The cost of the "necessary" accessories can almost double the cost of the unit I have noticed......Already put a windshield in it which was very necessary. I have fender flares coming. I am ordering a turn signal kit and I think I found a small overhead sound system for it. Probably not going to do much more than that for now.

I purchased the Can Am on the advice of a 25yr friend whom has owned a lot of different side by sides over the years. He purchased a 18 Defender and said it was the best machine he has ever own so I thought why not.

Most of its use will most likely be running around the neighborhood but we do have some good riding areas here in Florida.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,346 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55 and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
i bought a new 2014 ranger crew 800 in camo and love it. i put a 2 inch lift and 30 inch tires on it after i bought it so i can go play at the mud parks in South Florida when i lived there and it went through everything. The only problem i had was the map sensor wires rubbed through.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I have a 24 year old Kawasaki Mule 2510. When I bought it there was not much to choose from. Golf carts, or Gators. The Gators were a choice of two. An under powered 4x2 or the 6x4. I did not like how the 6x4 used chains to drive the rear most wheels off the ones forward of them. I also did not like the steering, or I should say lack of it. It wanted to plow, rather than turn.
I had one park brake cable seize and the temp switch that turns on the radiator fan fail. Oh, also the hour meter quit and I go a replacement. So no idea how many hours.

New machines are light years ahead in terms of engines, suspensions, and creature comforts.

I plan to replace it with something that starts better (mine is cold blooded, carb, not EFI), better ride/suspension, power steering, and will sit three across. No need for high speed. I am not interested in diesel.

I am considering many; Kawasaki Mule Pro, Can Am Defender (TOP TWO), Kubota 850 gas, Artic Cat Prowler/Textron 800 and Honda Pioneer.

I heard the Honda engine and transmission share the same oil. Seems like a bad idea to me. I also heard the Honda 1000 can easily burn out a clutch if the wrong range is used.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts