Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
I guess we are kind of a Polaris family now when it comes to side by sides but previously when we were all Honda's for our ATV's. Nothing against Honda, or any other manufacturer for the matter... there are a few Polaris dealers within 20 minutes of our place and a number of them when we head up north.

We had a 2014 800 Razor the boys loved for running trails (stolen last fall), and still have a 2016 570 Ranger for the cabin up north and a 2019 900 Ranger XP. The Ranger's serve the dual purpose of both utility and recreational. No major headaches or complaints regarding durability, just the normal wear and tear items of tires, bushings & etc.

As fjjd18 mentioned, the accessories can drain your wallet in a big hurry. We have glass windshields, plastic rear windows and tops on both the Rangers but I need to add a winch on the 900 XP yet along with a sound system.

IMG_3726.JPG IMG_3752.JPG IMG_5971.jpg IMG_5970.jpg Ranger.jpg IMG_6323 (2).jpg

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I looked at the Honda Pioneer 1000, the Ranger XP 1000 as well. Each had great things about them so it was very hard to choose even with the recommendation of a friend. I could have saved more money buying either of the others in 2019 units and there seem to be a lot more aftermarket accessories for the Ranger, however, I really liked the Can Am XT wit the winch already on it and the roof already on it. And the deep Red is a bit different.

"Lost" - you have some great looking rides there.
"Dr P" - Well the good thing is it like a car/truck you can service at any 'Can Am" dealer. The main reason I went that far was the cost savings. The local dealers here within 50 miles would have cost me about $1500 more for the same left over 2019 unit so it was worth the time to drive up there and back !

·
Registered
54 Posts
2006 Yamaha Rhino 660 here. Winch with front and rear mount, roof, Maxxis Bighorn tires, Grizzly sheave mod and ignition mod. Gets used most for pulling my MidSota mini dump trailer with leaves and grass clippings. 25 mph reverse, 55 mph forward. Works as log skidder too. Starts better with electric fuel pump mod. Aluminum floor covering after blowing a stick thru. Much more off road capable than the Gator HPX, which is a work horse. The HPX hydraulic lift is great to dump the load. Hard starting sob in cold weather tho. Gotta love them both for different reasons. A newer gator would probably be better at off road.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'll be in the market for a SXS soon. I've been kickin tires on a few for about a year. As an old dirt bike and ATV guy, my mind led me straight to the Kawasaki and Yamaha shops. These Gators really look nice but I've known anybody that owned one, and I always thought they were just used to carry hurt football players off the field. LOL

The Mules are hard to beat . They been around a long time and overall reliability is great.
I've test rode the Mules, the Rhino, and the Polaris 900. The Honda I seen didn't seem to have as big a bed as the others and also had a back seat that looked like a nightmare to deal with. I have no use for a back seat.

The Yamaha Rhino would be my choice at this point. Two things that stuck out to me out of the ones mentioned is the Rhino floorboard is flat all the way to side. The Mules have a hump or raised portion where your left foot would rest.

Most importantly, the Rhino's CVT tranny is way smoother than anything else I've been in.
No jerking when you just need to feather the pedal. I suppose you would get used to anything you owned, but backing a trailer would suck with those that hesitate and jerk waiting on the belt to take hold.

Can Am's look sweet but have not tried one yet. Pioneer has a totally different type tranny than the rest but I've not rode in one of those either.
I'll certainly look closer at the Gators as well since it's now year 2020 and they sure have changed.

One things for sure and the main reason I don't own one yesterday is they ALL are WAY over priced.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just curious if anyone on here owns a UTV that is NOT a Gator? Are you happy with it? Improvements you have made to it?
If you own a Gator and are not happy with it and wish you would have done another side by side?
polaris ranger no issues in four years and it gets beat pretty good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't have anything but a Gator - but worked around them for a little over a year on a daily basis.

In general - I'd rank owner satisfaction as Kawasaki/Honda (1 and 1a), Kubota and Polaris in a distant 3rd.

Honda owners tend to be the most "brand loyal" - the company builds a good product, and their users love them. Mule's have a well deserved reputation for reliability (think Honda in cars and Toyota in trucks) and tend to last years. Dealt with ALOT of owners who had machines that were over 5 years old and no major issues.

Kubota - my personal opinion, reliable and the users tend to have uses in mind for which they are best suited (heavy use where power and not speed are the needs). They are durable, but upkeep wise - more costly.

Finally, Polaris - again, my experiences - they sell alot of them and they have their fanboys - but $$, high upkeep cost and in general when I came around, owners were more apt to move on to another brand. Also seemed to be the most "upgraded" - with owners adding on all those accessories. (light kits, extra guards, speakers) - definitely felt to be more of a rec brand than a user brand to me.

For the record - where would I put a Gator (which I own BTW) - probably somewhere jockeying for position with Kubota. I get this is a Deere forum - but I honestly would probably lean Honda over Deere on my next SxS. Every model has its pros/cons - I got my Gator at a good price as a leftover (590i as they were moving out of that series) and think its great. If I needed bigger/more power and price being equal I'd go Honda. The 590 is a nice machine and not much smaller than the 825 - but the cost to move up is not worth it to me. The RTV series are nice - but $$$....And having to have a clutch replaced at 11 hours and under 150 miles on my Gator just outside of warranty wasn't a glowing endorsement for quality (Deere did step up after some prodding).

There are also the "off brands" Hisun/Massimo - honestly, the product isn't horrible - but the resale sure is!! Why someone would pay damn near the price of a entry level SxS from Honda or Deere for one of these is beyond me. Depreciation seems to be like 50% the moment they leave the big box store that sold them...where big names it is more like 20-25%. Yes - you take a haircut on any of these products, but the private label branded stuff just does not hold up value wise.

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
Don't have anything but a Gator - but worked around them for a little over a year on a daily basis.

In general - I'd rank owner satisfaction as Kawasaki/Honda (1 and 1a), Kubota and Polaris in a distant 3rd.

Honda owners tend to be the most "brand loyal" - the company builds a good product, and their users love them. Mule's have a well deserved reputation for reliability (think Honda in cars and Toyota in trucks) and tend to last years. Dealt with ALOT of owners who had machines that were over 5 years old and no major issues.

Kubota - my personal opinion, reliable and the users tend to have uses in mind for which they are best suited (heavy use where power and not speed are the needs). They are durable, but upkeep wise - more costly.

Finally, Polaris - again, my experiences - they sell alot of them and they have their fanboys - but $$, high upkeep cost and in general when I came around, owners were more apt to move on to another brand. Also seemed to be the most "upgraded" - with owners adding on all those accessories. (light kits, extra guards, speakers) - definitely felt to be more of a rec brand than a user brand to me.

For the record - where would I put a Gator (which I own BTW) - probably somewhere jockeying for position with Kubota. I get this is a Deere forum - but I honestly would probably lean Honda over Deere on my next SxS. Every model has its pros/cons - I got my Gator at a good price as a leftover (590i as they were moving out of that series) and think its great. If I needed bigger/more power and price being equal I'd go Honda. The 590 is a nice machine and not much smaller than the 825 - but the cost to move up is not worth it to me. The RTV series are nice - but $$$....And having to have a clutch replaced at 11 hours and under 150 miles on my Gator just outside of warranty wasn't a glowing endorsement for quality (Deere did step up after some prodding).

There are also the "off brands" Hisun/Massimo - honestly, the product isn't horrible - but the resale sure is!! Why someone would pay damn near the price of a entry level SxS from Honda or Deere for one of these is beyond me. Depreciation seems to be like 50% the moment they leave the big box store that sold them...where big names it is more like 20-25%. Yes - you take a haircut on any of these products, but the private label branded stuff just does not hold up value wise.
Where would you fit Can Am in?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

You are not looking at the whole picture. Its obvious the japs tend to wait and see what others are marketing and once the bugs have been worked out they adopt it. Polaris is constantly changing adding models and options catering to what their customers tell them so are most often the one copied. Toy is always at least two three years behind everyone else, for an example my friend bought a large toy truck fully loaded and it dosent even have an integrated braking system and controller built in. My 2007 F250 which has all options has that. That said most of my rancher farmer neighbors use either kawasaki, polaris or old pickup trucks. The woman next door that raises sheep and cattle has two old 4x4 short bed standard cab Ford ranger pickups that live on her ranch and havent been licensed in several years.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
You are not looking at the whole picture. Its obvious the japs tend to wait and see what others are marketing and once the bugs have been worked out they adopt it.

Honda sxs are the only machine that has an actual transmission. All others use a CVT. I don't think Honda is copying anything Polaris does. Maybe staying within specs of each other but not copying anything specific.

·
Registered
527 Posts
2010 Kawasaki Teryx 750. Had to replace radiator line that wore a hole and rear axle is starting to pop. Otherwise been a solid machine. Has been buried more times than can count in Hatfield McCoy trails and been faithful hunting companion and transporter to the hayfields. Plowed commercially with it 3 winters. Salt caused lot of rust under the bed otherwise couple small cracks in plastic but still runs great and in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Just to keep the thread going, I'm almost with the Duke,, I own a Kubota 2017 500H 4X4 RTV (really good dealership and not a bad machine either),, mostly for my wife so she doesn't have to use a wheelbarrow, and our property has some pretty good hills. and it's only for our own property. No real trails I want to go riding on around where I live but this vehicle has paid for itself in the three years I've owned it. I did install a windshield and rear window so when I take it for a ride out on the back 9 with low hanging pines full of snow I don't get dumped on, Built a nice rack/sides for the back to haul more stuff and carry necessary tools and other than that we are both happy. Her more than Me, I have a backhoe and the JD X738 for my usage along with a JD 450 dozer to get what I need accomplished! I do plan on assembling an electric actuator to dump the body so it's easier for her to clear the bed. Happy wife Happy life and we are both retired so we really need to get along! Happy motoring. Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 2016 Polaris Ranger 900xp Northstar. My recently retired FIL owned a dealership and this one came in on trade with 250 miles on it. The previous owner mostly used it for ice fishing, it was in new condition he just wanted to upgrade to one with engine braking for a hunting trip out west. I couldn't refuse the price I bought it for.
My wife uses it more for her hobby farm, hauling out from cleaning coops and hauling sand when she freshens up the run areas.
The plow works good for light snows when the tractor and front mount blower are overkill.
It has been a good machine but like the RZR I owned I need to keep a battery tender on it. The only other thing I find annoying is the transmission going from reverse to low sometimes takes a few seconds to engage. I don't know if this is only with the Northstar because they have a different shift pattern than regular Rangers.
As far as Can-Ams go I don't have personal experience with the Sxs but I did have an Outlander 800 ATV and it was solid for me. My FIL has a Can-Am Defender HD10. Fit and finish is better than the Polaris especially in the cab.
Couple pictures of my Northstar IMG_20200222_143308075_HDR.jpg IMG_20200222_143335142_HDR.jpg IMG_20200222_143353621.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where does CanAm rank...in my opinion, below Honda - above Polaris.

Good product, but pricey (new and parts), solid engines - company will always support the product.

Not being fair as Polaris is an "innovator" - sure, they roll stuff out first...but why the rush to be the first on the block with a fancy new option?

Theres a very well known phrase in tech "To the pioneers go the arrows" point is - unless you want to deal with ALOT of bugs, dont rush to adapt new tech...let them figure it out completely FIRST. Do Asian carmakers follow this philosophy...sure (although when they DO adapt..its made standard, not an option) - waiting a year or 2 in general beats overpaying for non working tech to me.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts