Green Tractor Talk banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
23,557 Posts
On the rear Kubota suspension;

Mine is 1st gen rvt 900.
It has a solid beam connecting the 2 rear tires...but is semi independant with leaf springs.
Genious set-up. I'm sure I've had upwards of 2500#'s loaded in the bed multiple times.

You cant do this with the new gen units as they have coil over shock rear suspension.
You would bend the shock or bust the mounts.

No front brakes on the early models so you better be in 4x4 if headed down a hill. just like a tractor.
Hydro drive thats been perfect. Can stop anywhere and hop out for a bit and it stays put....slight creep with a load on a hill.
Bench type seat so ..easy in & out if your making lots of short trips moving dirt/rock /whatever.

Its no speed demon 25 mph downhill in high. Its a work machine. Probly one of the best as far as weight carring and dumping capacity.
Not sure on the bobcat but its likely comparable. If you just have a bit of firewood or brush the other brands are probly fine..idk
At 2000#..it is what it is and fit my needs as I wasn't looking for a Sport machine. I had several hundred yards of dirt /rock to move about 600' downhill. It was is the answer for me .Have other toys to go fast ,jump ,powerslide......Samurai with a V8 takes care of that or the 2 stroke quads.
Thanks for your review!

·
Registered
17 Posts
That’s what I am looking at right now - their “mid” size RTV - 500. Gas engine EFI and liquid cooled. I especially like the idea of the hydro trans but will have to judge when I test drive one. I’m just trying to stay away from the CVT after some of the reviews I’ve read. I have some pretty steep hills and I don’t like the idea of free wheeling depending totally on the brakes.

But I could be way off with my assessment. I’ve never even sat in one of these things let alone drive one. I’m letting my mind overthink it all without any real data.
I have the Kubota RTV-500: I don't really like the HST trans compared to the CVT in our ATV. Having one pedal serve as both throttle & speed control does not work on something so under powered. You can't floor it in high range, it will stall. It really needs a lot more HP to use on any hills or to pull a load. Now my wife loves it, she putt-putts all over the place and doesn't want to go faster than a slow walk. The only reason we go that over a more powerful one was the ROPS height:72" It will fit thru the basement door for winter storage. All that said it does a great job and will go anywhere in low range. Perfect size to do odd jobs or to run around the property to go get something done. I find I use it more than the ATV because of the carry capacity and ease of use. Getting so it's hard to swing these old leg over the ATV anymore. Glass windshield and plastic roof have been great!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
2017 Mahindra XUV 750. Gas motor fuel injected. This thing is a beast. Workhorse. Not a trail machine. 1 problem with throttle linkage in the 3 years I’ve had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting, those seats look like something from a sports car!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
The seats are very comfortable. Google American Intimidator for more info on these.

I googled. I never would have thought they were partners with Mahindra.
I see you can get a Kohler 1000cc diesel, Kohler 750cc gas, unknown make 1000cc gas and electric version too.
I was not able to find any reviews, just specs.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Well built machine. Nice bead lock wheels. The bed sides and tailgate fold down turning it into a flat bed. Easy on fuel. Plows well. It wasn’t cheap. But I think it was worth it.

Are the wheels true bead locks?
I like the idea of the fold down bed sides.
Does yours have power steering? If not, does it need it?

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
True bead locks. Power steering definitely needed.

Thanks for the reply. I did some research on the Intimidator/Mahindra SxS. I don't want a diesel. I found the 750 is an air cooled engine, I worry about how many hours it would last. I did find they had/have? an 800 that's liquid cooled, but 65HP, and a 1000 that is also liquid cooled and 83HP. Both way more HP than I need or want.

So for approximately 50HP, and liquid cooled, there is the Can Am Defender HD8, John Deere Gator 825i (plus more), Kawasaki Mule Pro, and Kubota RTV XG850

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
There is a used Intimidator 800 that I might look at for $11K. No idea the year, hours, or miles on it. At the very least, I could see how much leg room it has and how the seats are (they look great!) It does not have the fold down box sides. It does have a roof and folding windshield.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
For the record, we were never part of the "Keeping up with the Joneses crowd".
aw now gizmo2--u know u want a gator like mine :giggle:

Coaltrain-u can get the turf tires on one, instead of the Maxi's i have. in the yard mine are quiet---windows down--now take it out on the black top look out. that's why i put the (can't remember the thumping name of the new tires) bang head right now--jeez.

if i had it to do over now---i probably would of went with a honda---just for the reason of the CVT dealings. if ur gonna stay in ur yard-property--a CTV would be ok---just hang on when its cold and ur backing out of the barn---u have to play with the throttle a bit.

·
Registered
23,557 Posts
aw now gizmo2--u know u want a gator like mine :giggle:

Coaltrain-u can get the turf tires on one, instead of the Maxi's i have. in the yard mine are quiet---windows down--now take it out on the black top look out. that's why i put the (can't remember the thumping name of the new tires) bang head right now--jeez.

if i had it to do over now---i probably would of went with a honda---just for the reason of the CVT dealings. if ur gonna stay in ur yard-property--a CTV would be ok---just hang on when its cold and ur backing out of the barn---u have to play with the throttle a bit.
Yeah - I’ve been listening to Gene about the difference between the CVT and Honda’s transmission - he’s had both and knows what he is talking about.

Then there is also the 3rd option of Kubota’s hydro.

·
Premium Member
15,345 Posts
Stan,, driving the Honda is the same as driving your truck or car with automatic transmission. Yes ours doesn't have PS , no issues without going slow in the woods at times would be nice but not necessary .

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,427 Posts
Yeah - I’ve been listening to Gene about the difference between the CVT and Honda’s transmission - he’s had both and knows what he is talking about.
I really dislike having a rear differential that is always locked. They may have changed this in the newer models.

·
Premium Member
15,345 Posts
I really dislike having a rear differential that is always locked. They may have changed this in the newer models. View attachment 731073

I agree and disagree .. On one hand yes it can tear the yard up if you aren't careful. You can tell down at the lower end of our garden and the lower side of the house where the grass is gone. Wife 90% of the time is the one driving those areas. If you pay attention when making turns very little damage to the yard. I noticed when the salesperson took me for a test drive the grass wasn't torn up. We were going down in and out of a 6' deep ditch, so it can be done without tearing up the yard. Besides that issue have had no other issues. For our usage , I use 4wd maybe 20% of the time compared to 60-80% when we had the Gator.
The new ones have paddle shift now , ours does not. If you know your going down a steep hill, slow down to under ( can't remember the speed thinking 7 or 11 mph) and transmission goes to L(1st) gear and it will stay in that gear till speed reaches thinking 15-19 mph. At that time goes into 2nd. gear. While going down the hill L will hold you back as long as gas pedal isn't being pressed, just like your vehicle. As I've said I very seldom use the break pedal going down a hill , compared to all the time with the Gator.
Yes the more you pay for the Gator and other brands, they have hill holder and don't need to use the break pedal.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I really dislike having a rear differential that is always locked.
That would honestly be the deal breaker for me. Don't know why, but I really like our VERY simple Mule, no bells and whistles, just reliable and easy.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
While going down the hill L will hold you back as long as gas pedal isn't being pressed
You got me there, just reminded me, the only thing I don't like about our Mule is it will free wheel if you don't keep some pressure on the throttle.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts