Green Tractor Talk banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,371 Posts
You got me there, just reminded me, the only thing I don't like about our Mule is it will free wheel if you don't keep some pressure on the throttle.
That first drive , down the hill behind the house sold me.
The dealer told me if I wasn't satisfied they would bring back our Gator and take their machine back at NO CHARGE. Their location is apx 60 miles each way from us. They had a very large field out from their storeroom. I'm guessing I put a mile or two on one of their machines . As the salesman told me, go try it out , drive it like you would at your house. The lot had a hill going up into the lot , tried it first with the Gator spun going up in so I used 4wd. Honda stayed in 2wd and never even knew I was going up the hill. Same driving around in the lot and going thru mud puddles and some very long deep , wet ,messy ruts. I had their machine in 4wd once for one lap , then had fun driving it in 2wd.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,466 Posts
You got me there, just reminded me, the only thing I don't like about our Mule is it will free wheel if you don't keep some pressure on the throttle.
You need more suspension, you can go faster. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
You need more suspension, you can go faster. :ROFLMAO:
One of the reasons (better ride, not go faster) I want to replace my 1996 Kawasaki Mule.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,466 Posts
One of the reasons (better ride, not go faster) I want to replace my 1996 Kawasaki Mule.
The speed difference between our old CX and the XUV560 is of little benefit but the ride is soooo much better.

·
Premium Member
14,169 Posts
Our 610 has adjustable shocks, probably the fanciest feature on it :ROFLMAO: but then again, we didn't buy it drive to Florida on vacation.

·
Premium Member
6,197 Posts
I started out with a 550 Mule over 20 years ago. The Mule & Gator were all that were available around here back then. I checked two dealers for each, one dealer for each didn't seem too interested in selling me one! The price was close enough it wasn't a factor, I just liked the features on the Mule better. After 14 years, I sold the Mule to a friend, it's still in daily use. I bought a used 2007 TS Gator to replace the 550, still use it regularly.

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
I know this is a non-Gator discussion but Lowell’s post made me think back -

When I had an excellent Deere dealer in town I stopped in almost every trip to town. It seemed I always knew what was new and exciting as far as Deere equipment.

I distinctly remember the first zero turn mowers - I think it was soon after Deere acquired Great Dane mowers. The dealer manager Dave always offered to drop one off at the house for me to try.

But I just don’t remember seeing any Gators there. Was wondering when they first came out. I’m pretty sure they were around for a long time for greens keeping and such like the TS, CX, etc. maybe their dealership didn’t have any commercial stuff?

So wondered when the current cross over type first came to be like the XUV. From the conversation here it looks like the Mule has been around for a very long time.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
My Mule is a 1996 model 2510 4x4. When I looked all JD had to offer in Gators was 4x2 with an air cooled single and the 6x4 with the same Kawasaki water cooled twin the Mule had. The back two wheels had just a spindle and on the inside a sprocket with a roller chain to the wheel forward of it. For 6x4 drive you locked the differential. It seemed like poor engineering to me. I told the JD salesman they need to put the 2 cylinder engine in the 4x2 and make it 4x4. His reply if you do not need 4x4 buy the 4x2, if you need 4x4, buy the 6x4.
I am not sure when JD FINALLY made a 4x4 machine, since I had my Mule, I stopped looking. One day I was looking over a 4x4 Gator and same salesman came up. I told him I see JD finally decided to make a real 4x4 Gator, I would have bought one in '96. His reply was you can buy one NOW.

Now there are MANY choices.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I have a Kubota RTV 500. Currently having an issue and I am at odds with the dealership and they are somewhat at odds with Kubota. Going to post a separate thread looking for anyone with similar issue.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I know this is a non-Gator discussion but Lowell’s post made me think back -

When I had an excellent Deere dealer in town I stopped in almost every trip to town. It seemed I always knew what was new and exciting as far as Deere equipment.

I distinctly remember the first zero turn mowers - I think it was soon after Deere acquired Great Dane mowers. The dealer manager Dave always offered to drop one off at the house for me to try.

But I just don’t remember seeing any Gators there. Was wondering when they first came out. I’m pretty sure they were around for a long time for greens keeping and such like the TS, CX, etc. maybe their dealership didn’t have any commercial stuff?

So wondered when the current cross over type first came to be like the XUV. From the conversation here it looks like the Mule has been around for a very long time.
The Gator came out in the very early 90's. As far as I remember there was no other SxS around. Farmers bought those 6x4s like crazy around here. They could haul a pile of rocks in the bed, and could go anywhere you had business going in the wet fields in the spring. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that they wrote the book on SxS's. They were however pretty slow to move into the SxS's that we see today.

·
Corndog Hater
11,875 Posts
The Gator came out in the very early 90's. As far as I remember there was no other SxS around. Farmers bought those 6x4s like crazy around here. They could haul a pile of rocks in the bed, and could go anywhere you had business going in the wet fields in the spring. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that they wrote the book on SxS's. They were however pretty slow to move into the SxS's that we see today.
You still see your fair share of these around here. In fact, I remember loading my survey equipment, and myself into the bed of one and being chauffeured out to a patch of woods by a farmer/client.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
You still see your fair share of these around here. In fact, I remember loading my survey equipment, and myself into the bed of one and being chauffeured out to a patch of woods by a farmer/client.
View attachment 733192
Those were pre-Gator...maybe late 80’s. I never actually saw one in action

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
The speed difference between our old CX and the XUV560 is of little benefit but the ride is soooo much better.
boy if u could live closer to me--i would give ya a ride in the caddy -then u would be so..............happy. :giggle:
Our 610 has adjustable shocks, probably the fanciest feature on it :ROFLMAO: but then again, we didn't buy it drive to Florida on vacation.
hey i would take the caddy to florida for vacation-yelp ride it right down I-95(y)i bet i could make it-without a cop stopping me too.:rolleyes:;)
Those were pre-Gator...maybe late 80’s. I never actually saw one in action
me neither---heck i only ever saw the 4 wheeler jd had out-wasn't it called the buck something??

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
My Kawasaki Mule is 1996 model year, I know it's not the first year out. I choose it over the JD Gator offerings of the time.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
boy if u could live closer to me--i would give ya a ride in the caddy -then u would be so..............happy. :giggle:

hey i would take the caddy to florida for vacation-yelp ride it right down I-95(y)i bet i could make it-without a cop stopping me too.:rolleyes:;)

me neither---heck i only ever saw the 4 wheeler jd had out-wasn't it called the buck something??
Trail Buck?

·
Corndog Hater
11,875 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
So I thought that I would update this thread a bit. I am finding after a few months of use that the CAM AM Defender is VERY warm after running it for sometime. All I have is a windshield(no doors) and its so hot at lower speeds it almost burns your legs.... It appears that they do not do a good job or any job at all of blocking all of the "holes" from the front end(behind dash) which is were the radiator is mounted. So I will be patching all that I can as to not allow so much warm air into the cab area while moving.

I added a turn signal kit which was mostly plug and play. Not cheap to do but a very nice kit from SuperATV. I used some yellow LED lights strips in the front for better visual instead of the 4 small 3/4 LED button lights. Plus no drilling any 3/4 holes in the plastic! The back signals use the factory brake lights. I also installed a Tractor Supply wireless kit for the winch. Can-Am does not make one for there non-Warn winches on these units. The remote is huge and the in=out and the out=equals in but for $30 bucks, I will deal with the buttons being backwards.

Unit has a Hazard switch as well...

Switches(Turn, Hazard, Horn) Added.

Unit goes underneath middle seat. All wiring wrapped and pre-cut to length mostly with waterproof connectors.

Wireless winch kit is mounted up under plastic hood area bewteen the light housing and the hood. Then I can just plug it in when needed.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
Could the wireless kit be wired wrong? maybe a couple wires need to be switched?

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I had pair of Honda 1000-4 s a few years ago. Great machines.
Had I owned my current property with my acreage that I have today I probably never would have sold them.
We took the Honda's on a few trips and then they pretty much sat in the garage for nearly 2 years, so I sold them.

I really loved the gear drive transmisions in the Honda's along with many other features they offered.

I bought my Gator this spring for use around my property. Since I have several green machines in the barn, and I mainly wanted to continue with only needing to store one fuel type and since the tractors and lawn mowers are all diesel powered I was really wanting a diesel UTV. So that and being a John Deere junkie, I now have a diesel Gator.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts