Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up and installed a 60" Moose plow for my Polaris Ranger. So far I've been using the rear blade and bucket on the 2720 to move snow but either I faced the rear blade forward which didn't work well as then the tractor was in the unplowed or flip it around a drive backwards which worked well but was akward and hard on the neck.

I found a good deal on a 60" for the Ranger. Not sure how well it will work, its not very high and when its angled it isn't as wide as the Ranger's tires. Didn't think of that till it was installed... Not sure how well it will push, might need to load the box up with ballast.... I figure at teh very least it will be good for the wife to use if I'm gone. She mows fine with the tractor but the loader intimidates her a bit.

·
Premium Member
13,933 Posts
Our Honda 700 Pioneer had a 60" or 72" ( sorry not sure) on it when we seen it at the dealers. We had the blade removed because having a front , hyd angle on 1025r , 60" rear blade and a 47 snowblower, just didn't see the need of having another plow setting around. Honda seems to do a pretty good job plus it would be much faster than using the tractor.

Youtube shows lots of videos of Honda Pioneer plowing snow, so guessing you would be able to find some of the Ranger.:dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I have used a Yamaha Rhino 660 with a cycle country plow, not sure how big, but I think its a 60 or 54". It works pretty well, but there isn't much weight to cut through ice. The weakest point (imo) is that the mounts are welded to the skid plate underneath the vehicle. Other than that, it has adjustable skid shoes, a nice angling system and you use the winch to raise and lower. Last I used it, i think it was 2011 or 2012, and we a had a $h!t ton of snow (for my area). I don't remember the blade pushing the rhino around or anything.

With the blade angled, the rhino had plenty of power to push snow. With the blade straight, it had the power but you could tell the blade was there. (then again, the yamaha rhino has been proven to be far superior to the ranger as far as power, towing (which translates to pushing, in this case) and handling under load. So, i don't know- your milage may vary.

I sure did open a can of worms with that last statement didn't I?:laugh:

tl;dr: I have used one and have pretty good success. I would recommend one to anyone who has a long path to clear, but not a ton of pushing/piling.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just picked up and installed a 60" Moose plow for my Polaris Ranger. So far I've been using the rear blade and bucket on the 2720 to move snow but either I faced the rear blade forward which didn't work well as then the tractor was in the unplowed or flip it around a drive backwards which worked well but was akward and hard on the neck.

I found a good deal on a 60" for the Ranger. Not sure how well it will work, its not very high and when its angled it isn't as wide as the Ranger's tires. Didn't think of that till it was installed... Not sure how well it will push, might need to load the box up with ballast.... I figure at teh very least it will be good for the wife to use if I'm gone. She mows fine with the tractor but the loader intimidates her a bit.
I bought my 2013 Ranger 900 used. The guy had a snow plow mounted on it. The plow has a electric motor to turn the blade from side to side. I only got to use the plow once since I've owned it. The plow worked good ( all rock drive-way ). I did twist an axle ( up graded to Rhino axles ) while pushing snow some how. I even bought some tubes of sand to put in the bed of the Ranger. I had them in my truck and never took them out. The Ranger had plenty of traction ( with factory tires ) to push a full blade full around. I have since did a lot of up grades to the Ranger and not had a chance to push any snow. We live out on flat farm fields and all the snow blows away, where in town they will have 10 inches on the ground.
I love snow!!! A guy can have all the fun playing with a Ranger or Tractor and never have to clean up the machine or fix any ruts. That is why snow is my favorite :plowsnow:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I've plowed for the last three years with the Kawasaki Mule and a 72" Moose plow. Works quite well, the only advice I'd give is push way back, once the snow hardens up it's like running into concrete and side by sides are just not heavy enough to move it. I did have to keep an eye on the underside, where the brackets were bolted to the frame, they take a lot of abuse when plowing and had a tendency to loosen up, other than that I think they work quite well.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I twisted a stock axle on my Ranger , not a Rhino. I really like the Rhino axles , way more angle of movement than stock axle. A lot heavier made too.
The yamaha axles are pretty good. I swear to god that they make the ball joints/wear parts lower and lower quality every year, though.:banghead:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about the mounts. The ubolts that came with it were too short for the Ranger frame(came off an Arctic Cat) and I didn't like the setup anyway. I want the plate completely off for summer fun and those U-bolts were too much of a pain. So I welded some tabs to the side of the frame with holes drilled in them and then bolted the plate to that.

rowdy*rodney: That electric turn sounds interesting. Was it some sort of electric motor and gear box or electric actuators(rams)? Any info on it that I could use to google info on or pics if you still have it?

I"ll try to post some pics of mine.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgot to mention as well that I have a removable winch on my Ranger that sticks out about 6-8" from where a recessed winch would mount. This gave a backward angle to the cable if mounted in the stock position. Fabbing my own mount system allowed me to move the plate forward 4" which combined with moving the attachement point further forward on the plow gave an acceptable angle to the cable.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,102 Posts
Easy kids, you’ll scare him off and we’ll never see the Pics!

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
When it warms up above freezing , I will dig my snow plow out and take some pictures. I am going to sell the snow plow or make a trade for something I get more use out of. We just don't get enough snow around here to use the snow plow. :plowsnow:

View attachment 517769
Nice rig. A cab with a windshield will surely make someone jealous.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally got to try it out today. I was out of town when it snowed so my dad and wife got to it before I got home. I took it out today just to do a bit of cleanup. The Ranger seems to push and handle it no problem but I'm actually a bit disappointed in the plow itself. It seems too small. I wasn't pushing much snow at all, 2-3" and it didn't take much for it to spill over the top, and fly up into my face. I may have to add a rubber flap to the top, and maybe some wings.

A windshield and enclosed cab would be nice but way too much money. I had thought about about a soft cab or even just a plexi glass windshield but I'm not sure how to keep it from frosting up.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts