Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am clearing a very large area that is full of rocks (see pictures). I am exploring the purchase of a hydraulic rock picker that I would pull behind my John Deere 4720. Has anyone used a rock picker before and also, what are the premium brands?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

trout haven barn nails 006.jpg

trout haven looking north.jpg

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
We put in a couple new hay fields a couple of years ago and borrowed a Haybuster Rock Eze from a friend. Worked good for us and was surprised the amount of rocks it cleared fro the fields. Easy to run. Don't remember the model number, but took about a 9' swath if I remember right. The one we had would just dump into a pile, but I see ones that the hopper lifts high enough to dump into a dump truck.

Like this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Roots and rocks

Hello everyone, I am clearing a very large area that is full of rocks (see pictures). I am exploring the purchase of a hydraulic rock picker that I would pull behind my John Deere 4720. Has anyone used a rock picker before and also, what are the premium brands?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

View attachment 324994

View attachment 325002
We're currently using a root/rock windrower but alas it just puts them in a windrow for pick up. It does work pretty well though. It's a Schulte but I don't know anything else about it as it's a rental. You've got a beautiful view, had to focus on the small rocks because the big rocks (mountains) were so pretty.

P1030558.JPG P1030557.JPG

Treefarmer

·
Administrator
18,306 Posts
I rented a Skid Steer and a "RockHound" rake when I built my house, worked amazingly well! I chose that over a Harley Rake becasue it collects the rocks rather than windrow them.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Those options look so much better than what we used to do.

Grandpa on the IH 544 with the loader and the grandkids picking up the rocks on the field and throwing them into the bucket.

So much fun. :no:

·
Registered
4,572 Posts

Grandpa on the IH 544 with the loader and the grandkids picking up the rocks on the field and throwing them into the bucket.

Yep been there done that. Wait still do:banghead:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I rented a Skid Steer and a "RockHound" rake when I built my house, worked amazingly well! I chose that over a Harley Rake becasue it collects the rocks rather than windrow them.
Exactly what I used as well. Friend had a 760? With a 6 ft tiller. Kept going over it for quite a while. Made it really nice. Glad I don't have to do that again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts

Remember every spring quite well. Only difference is we didn't use a bucket. We used a hay wagon cause it could haul more and since it was a hay wagon, wait for it, there was no dump function, we got to manually unload it as well.? Twice the fun I tell you.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I did the same...years ago.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Done that as well

Remember every spring quite well. Only difference is we didn't use a bucket. We used a hay wagon cause it could haul more and since it was a hay wagon, wait for it, there was no dump function, we got to manually unload it as well.? Twice the fun I tell you.
LOL, we did that as well. Rocks, brush, leaves etc. all went on the hay wagons. Even better, we used them to move gravel after loading them with shovels. The ONLY good part was the ride between loading and unloading.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
How rocky was your lot? Did it get most everything? My lot is mostly rocks and crappy clay. I really would like to get the rocks up but my efforts with the land scape rake and my 2210 are yielding lots of rocks but there appears to be an endless supply so I am looking for a different method.

The OP's piece of property is beautiful. That looks like part of a river bed he is clearing out so it maybe nothing but rock. Might want to pan for gold instead!:bigbeer:

·
Administrator
18,306 Posts
How rocky was your lot?
Very, but mostly smaller stuff and plenty of shale. The RH did great and leave behind a perfect seed bed.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
IMO,, this is absolutely the best option for rock removal.

https://roanoke.craigslist.org/grd/6028901747.html

Find someone with the equipment,, and EXPERIENCE,,, and write a check.

If the picker breaks,, you get to say "sorry, when will you be back to complete the work?"

The CL AD;

Looking for someone with a rock picker (Glade Hill)

Looking for someone with a rock picker to get rocks up out of a field please call
if you have one.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Just remember. For every rock you pick two more grow in it's place. At least that's what it used to seem like. :)
The deeper the soil freezes,, the truer that statement is.
New England, NY, parts of PA,, that is very true.

In Virginia,, where I am at,, rocks over 6 inches down, do not move.

I de-rocked my garden with a Gravely cultivator.
It is not a roto-tiller,, the tines are small.
cultivate in reverse, it will find EVERY rock bigger than a golf ball.

I wonder if a tractor mounted version would work?

I have never heard of anyone tilling in reverse,,, with a CUT and tiller,,,
It might work.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
The deeper the soil freezes,, the truer that statement is.
New England, NY, parts of PA,, that is very true.

In Virginia,, where I am at,, rocks over 6 inches down, do not move.

I de-rocked my garden with a Gravely cultivator.
It is not a roto-tiller,, the tines are small.
cultivate in reverse, it will find EVERY rock bigger than a golf ball.

I wonder if a tractor mounted version would work?

I have never heard of anyone tilling in reverse,,, with a CUT and tiller,,,
It might work.
Not only do they have them for the CUT they also have them for the SCUT.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Unrelated, but related.... does anyone know how these things kill people????

My grandpa always told me how much he hated them. The reels are spring loaded, so when a rock gets jammed in the teeth, of course the reasonable thing to do is knock out said rock with a crowbar.....then, the compressed springs unload and the reel spins and bonks you in the head. Bonks you hard enough to kill you....

Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We put in a couple new hay fields a couple of years ago and borrowed a Haybuster Rock Eze from a friend. Worked good for us and was surprised the amount of rocks it cleared fro the fields. Easy to run. Don't remember the model number, but took about a 9' swath if I remember right. The one we had would just dump into a pile, but I see ones that the hopper lifts high enough to dump into a dump truck.

Like this one.
Thanks Treefarmer. Yeap, quite a spot, that is Mount McCaleb in the background, the 2nd highest mountain in Idaho.

IMAG0615.jpg

8-21-2014 Phone Download 961.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts