Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has gotten creative with shipping containers and using them as a "barn"? Looking to store implements mostly (tractor in heated garage!), and curious if there are any innovative storage/shelving options people have come up with. I would like to eventually add some trusses, a roof (maybe windows?) and create a little porch off the side. I love the idea of using a shipping container and have seen some creative examples online, but I want to see yours and hear your experience! Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I considered them. Look into them long and hard for what they are. As a storage corridor with shelves both sides, that's about the best they can get, without time and expense to open the sides with some type of door/track system, getting anything out sheer frustrations. Sure, I can cut/weld/fabricate, but the time and effort (plus cash) exhausted, it made more sense to me to go (run) quickly away from the thought. Not to mention they're ugly. IMO, creativity is costly. No matter how cheap those things are, beyond what they're intended for.

Have fun:munch:

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I have been thinking of adding shelves to mine to store the implements on but haven't got around to it yet right now it just stores the tractor

Attachments

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
look to u-tube for ur ideas of containers. lots and lots of people have used these for barns and houses. good luck with urs:bigthumb:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Shipping containers are nice. If I had one, a single, it would be for drive-in / drive-out only. Two side-by-side would be a better configuration. I would cut out a large section of the side walls, similar to a double-wide Mobile Home..for rolling implement storage. Bolt (with a seal) the two together. Then a low-pitch roof above. The end result would be a slick set-up. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
How much does a good one cost?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Dang, that one looks new!
They are called a "one use" container,,
I guess they are like a Campbells soup can to a mouse!! :laugh:

When this one was purchased, the one use container cost about $200 more than a VERY well used container,

The very well used containers all needed paint, and in some cases they needed floor repairs,:dunno:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
How much does a good one cost?
Not sure what other towns are around you, but this might help for your location.... minneapolis for sale - craigslist

I've read a lot of threads here and on "that other tractor forum" about the pros and cons of using containers for barns. Depending on your location/climate, you might have issues with condensation on the inside so you may need to cut vents.

If you buy two containers, place them parallel and then span them with a roof, you can end up spending about as much as you would for a pole barn of similar size. The downside is that you have long, narrow storage that makes it difficult to move stuff around, get it in and out, etc. You wouldn't have that issue with an open floorplan pole barn.

The containers do offer some advantage of being able to secure them if they're left at some remote location, but locks can always be ground/cut off.

The aesthetics are another thing. These containers are not the most attractive things in the world. Will your other half be OK with that if it's something that she has to look at every day? For me, that is a big, fat NO! :laugh:

·
Registered
141 Posts
well this caught my attention, Yes I use a 40' container and absolutely enjoy the storage and security it gives us, Keep implements and go-cart in off season and have the Home Depot storage shelve for 24' on the side towards front, I have made slings in ceiling are to put flat roofing metal and longer items that won't fit well any where else. THEY ARE GREAT for a security where we live as we have no neighbors and are at the end of a road that turns into a travel at own risk!!!!!

SO YES I HAVE FOUND THE CONTAINER TO BE EXTREMELY NICE FOR MY APPLICATION! :bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

WALTMART

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Not sure what other towns are around you, but this might help for your location.... minneapolis for sale - craigslist

I've read a lot of threads here and on "that other tractor forum" about the pros and cons of using containers for barns. Depending on your location/climate, you might have issues with condensation on the inside so you may need to cut vents.

If you buy two containers, place them parallel and then span them with a roof, you can end up spending about as much as you would for a pole barn of similar size. The downside is that you have long, narrow storage that makes it difficult to move stuff around, get it in and out, etc. You wouldn't have that issue with an open floorplan pole barn.

The containers do offer some advantage of being able to secure them if they're left at some remote location, but locks can always be ground/cut off.

The aesthetics are another thing. These containers are not the most attractive things in the world. Will your other half be OK with that if it's something that she has to look at every day? For me, that is a big, fat NO! :laugh:
Having used and still using conex boxes on basically every job site i have been on, here is my observation about condensation. Pretty much they stay dry summer and winter providing you have no leaks. One job they tried to run a couple small electric heaters in to keep some epoxy, and other fluids from freezing in winter. Well with no insulation and heat on inside and cold outside, we opened the box after the weekend and it looked like a rainforest. lol Water was dripping and running down the walls like crazy. :laugh:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Living in Tennessee, my concern would be insects, like hornets & wasps. I can just envision going inside and seeing 15 or 20 hornet nests on the roof and maybe the same amount of mud wasps nests on the walls!

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Mid December I will report back. I have a new/1 ship 40’HC coming in. Have to work out trucking it here yet but one way or another I will get that done. Worked out good yesterday as I brought in 3 trailers of gravel about 15 ton in all and with temperatures in the low 20’s I could take the easy way and not tear up the lawn. I was surprised that the gravel pile had a 4-6” frozen crust on it. The pad is 10’ x 50’ to give me some room to work. I can bring it down to size in the spring. It should be 6” above grade at one end, 12” at the other. I put 3 6” x 9’ fence posts 5’ deep as a stop and to use to winch it off the trailer if needed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Cleaned the 10” of snow off the side and rear lawn yesterday so the driver isn’t stuck and so the ground would stay frozen. People driving by probably think I lost it.:laugh:

It was supposed to be picked up at 1 today but I got the photos of it loaded at 4 and it is 2 hours away. Looks like I am working the night shift tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Cleaned the 10” of snow off the side and rear lawn yesterday so the driver isn’t stuck and so the ground would stay frozen. People driving by probably think I lost it.

It was supposed to be picked up at 1 today but I got the photos of it loaded at 4 and it is 2 hours away. Looks like I am working the night shift tonight.
Sizes and how much delivered if I may ask? Was it a "one trip" container?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a 8x40 high cube container on my property. For storage such as the lawn mower, tires and any equipment I don’t want to sit in the snow. Everything gets sat on a pallet, pressure washed and put away. Mines painted a dark blue to match the shop. It stays fairly warm vs outside temp, and dry no humidity.

I paid $3000 delivered, the 20’ containers are in high demand here 200$ cheaper than a 40’. Hence why I got the 40’.

They really require nothing in my area which I didn’t want to deal with permits of building a structure. Just skid of the flat bed and wiggled into plaxe

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Sizes and how much delivered if I may ask? Was it a "one trip" container?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yes, is a new/1 trip 40x8x9.5 or 40HC. It was 3800 with tax 4100. I had a local place pick it up & deliver it which was 500, delivery was a little higher than it should have been but all said and done I really didn’t have much choice.

Used, wind and watertight would have been 1400 but they typically have patched floors or walls and dents.

The new was worth it to me. It was clean inside and out and the inside is very nice. It seals up very tight so bugs and rodents should not be able to get in. The only down side is if you need the furthest skid everything has to come out but this is mostly for small implements so the order will switch in summer or winter and things I have but never use will go up at the far end.

If you look for one shop around. Another place was 5400 for new, 1700 for used cargo worthy, 1550 for wind and water tight.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts