Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

To continue my "this might be a dumb question, but" theme, lol, what does everyone do for diesel storage?

A couple 5 gallon cans seems the easiest, but buying in bulk can sometimes save a bit of money. I dont plan to run mine every single day or anything, just wondering if there is any economical solution that works better than a couple 5 gallon cans. That and the newer cans really stink.

The reason I ask is, when I was "storing" a 955, it seemed like I needed to refil the can all the time. Now that was 32hp, and Ill only have 25, but it would be nice to be able to fill up a few times before having to visit the gas station.
Plus, Ive already got several gas cans around, 2 5 gallon for my 318 and Exmark, 2 smaller cans for 2 cycle stuff and chainsaws.
Maybe I should look into one of those larger gas totes they sell for boats that holds 10-20 gallons.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
I have a 150 gallon tank.

I use my tractor for only 50 hours per year.

I get the tank 1/2 filled (75 gal) every other year when I have my heating fuel delivered.

Just right - I refuse to deal with 5 gal jugs again.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have a 28 gallon diesel caddy with the hand pump. I purchased it from Zoro when they had one of their 25% off promos. I keep this at the other home where the bride does the mowing. She tends to forget about the fuel gauge and mows till it runs out of fuel. Her and a 5 gallon can would be a disaster and lethal for the lawn. So while this was a pricey caddy, in the long run, it was money well spent. I paid $575.84 for it.

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-fuel-caddy-28-gal-diesel-yellow-932404ip/i/G8542992/

·
Premium Member
12,124 Posts
To continue my "this might be a dumb question, but" theme, lol, what does everyone do for diesel storage?
How are you planning on filling it?

Would you want something large enough that would warrant bulk delivery?

Do you have a means to carry a larger tank to the fuel station to fill it yourself?

Or would you be okay with having a bulk tank that you could keep filled with 5 gallon cans?

I think it boils down to how much fuel you think you will use a year. I don't mow with my tractor so I don't use a lot of fuel per year. Most of my fuel usage is for snow removal during the winter months. As such I decided to go with one of the Flo-Fast fuel cans and hand pump. The cans come in 5, 7, 10.5 and 15 gallons. I have two of the 7 gallon cans but usually only keep one filled with around 6 gallons and I alternate cans each time I fill them. During a snowpocalypse I will sometimes fill both cans. I like the 7 gallon cans as they are easy to handle and easily fit in the back of the SUV. They do sell a few varieties of caddys to hold one or two cans but I just used an old folding luggage cart that I had laying around (it was even yellow). I secure the can with a large Velcro strap that I got at Lowe's.

IMG_1563.jpg

Here is one of their 2-can carts:

Flo-Fast_cart.jpg

This is a single 15-gallon cart:

Flo-Fast_15.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,124 Posts
Another option is something like a HMC caddy. They come in 15, 20 and 30 gallon capacities. I have one similar to this that I use to storage gasoline. One nice feature of these is the pump can SUCK fuel as well as dispense so you can suck the fuel out of cans or use it to empty the tank of a piece of equipment.

I keep mine filled using 5-gallon cans but if you had a diesel one you could haul it to the filling station.

HMC_caddy1.jpg

Of course there's also the option to use a standard 55 or 30 gallon drum and attach your own hand crank to the bung. This is a very popular option.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How are you planning on filling it?

Would you want something large enough that would warrant bulk delivery?
Not sure Id really need that. For those, I always think of the 250 gallon tanks smaller farmers used to use. My uncle had one for gas.

Do you have a means to carry a larger tank to the fuel station to fill it yourself?
Yes. No matter what it is, I could either get it in the truck bed or on the trailer. I figured if it was the caddy style, easy enough to roll up ramps. Even if not, Ive got a dolly or 3.

Or would you be okay with having a bulk tank that you could keep filled with 5 gallon cans?
No. Id rather not mess with 5 gallon cans if I had a larger option.

Your option seems to be a good one though. I like those style cans, and the fact that they come in bigger sizes is nice. I guess Im looking at a solution that allows me to keep less total cans around, but still allow a few fill ups in case of bad weather etc. Im also thinking worst case scenario, not just every day use.
Around here Winter can put gas stations out of reach, and so can Spring/Summer/Fall storms & tornados. I guess Id rather be prepared and have enough fuel on hand to deal with whatever I need to until I can get to the station, or until whatever is going on passes.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I repurposed a 275g home heating oil tank for my diesel needs. I added a fuel gauge, a locking filler lid and a Fill Rite rotary pump. I have 100 gallons of dyed no tax #2 delivered from the local farmers co-op every couple years. I never want to deal with a fuel can again!

·
Registered
367 Posts
55gal barrel here with a GPI hand pump.

·
Premium Member
12,124 Posts
Your option seems to be a good one though. I like those style cans, and the fact that they come in bigger sizes is nice. I guess Im looking at a solution that allows me to keep less total cans around, but still allow a few fill ups in case of bad weather etc. Im also thinking worst case scenario, not just every day use. Around here Winter can put gas stations out of reach, and so can Spring/Summer/Fall storms & tornados. I guess Id rather be prepared and have enough fuel on hand to deal with whatever I need to until I can get to the station, or until whatever is going on passes.
If you have the ability to haul it for filling there are a lot of nice compact 30-50 gallon square containers available which will accept a variety of pump styles.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes. No matter what it is, I could either get it in the truck bed or on the trailer. I figured if it was the caddy style, easy enough to roll up ramps. Even if not, Ive got a dolly or 3.

There are several companies that sell fuel tanks for the bed of a pickup truck. Put a 12 volt GPI pump and nozzle on it and your good to go. Easy to fill and easy to dispense.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are several companies that sell fuel tanks for the bed of a pickup truck. Put a 12 volt GPI pump and nozzle on it and your good to go. Easy to fill and easy to dispense.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Yes, but then that precludes the use of part of the truck bed, and thats definitely no good. And they are more expensive than most of the other options.
I may just go with the old 55 gallon drum and pump trick. I might be able to get a bit smaller drum too. The town I work for gets several sizes of steel barrels for different things, maybe I can find one that wont take a lot of cleaning out to get working for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts